How many e-mails does it take to order a gun?

well being the poor college student that I am, my loans go for schooling sadly not for class 3 investments

I'm sure i could talk hte g\f into it though, she "likes guns"

Seriously Joe, I about 6 yrs ago I started looking into prices. I found a NEW uzi (Then $3000) today USED ones bring $6000, STG44 (then $7000) today $15000 to $20000, a NEW in the box M-11 with suppressor (then $1400) today USED WITHOUT A CAN $3000. The day I found the m-11 at a gunshow, I bought a semi-auto hungarian underfolder ak. Gave $1000 for the ak and spent about 500 more for ammo, mags, and a drum for it that same day. It was fun to shoot, but I just sold it about a year ago for $1000. Held it value and I got to have fun with it. But if I would have spent $300 more and got the m-11 ($1800 with the tranfer on the gun and can), I could have sold it for an easy $3000. And would have owned a machinegun with a can and had even more fun shooting it than the semi ak. The price comparisons above go on and on. I've already hijacked this thread enough though. About the cheapest you will find a transferable full-auto today is about $3000. But it will only go up in value. If anyone wants to continue this topic, start another thread in "other weapons" or maybe a mod could make us a full-auto section, it might bring in some new user when there running their searches on google and find a full auto saiga-12! :super: Sorry for the hi-jack. :angel:

Uh, I got 5 on more emails. :) J/K

I read somewhere that you got yourself "SHOCKED" one too many times... Are you sure you wanna place such a bet?(Okay... I was just kidding!)

You're right. I'm probably not 'current'ly thinking straight. :)

Edited by Racegal55

People definately need to sit up and take notice just how much time it takes to deal with repeated emails about a build. Remember that the builder often has other guns he's working on too, as well as a personal life.

I personally would find it very taxing on my time and patience. For most every additional email received, there is a typed response. That really adds up to a lot of time that could be spent doing other things. It's understandable to be excited and all but just "HOW MANY e-mails does it take?"

Hat's off to your patience Tony. Dudes he's got way too much goin on to spend that much time with one person but does it gladly...that's commendable.

People definately need to sit up and take notice just how much time it takes to deal with repeated emails about a build. Remember that the builder often has other guns he's working on too, as well as a personal life.

I personally would find it very taxing on my time and patience. For most every additional email received, there is a typed response. That really adds up to a lot of time that could be spent doing other things. It's understandable to be excited and all but just "HOW MANY e-mails does it take?"

Hat's off to your patience Tony. Dudes he's got way too much goin on to spend that much time with one person but does it gladly...that's commendable.

Sounds like it is time for Tony to hire some help, office worker, shop worker, something.

come on gary, email tony a few more times and just go for the world record already!

Too late (or "right on target") Bvamp -- Tony just sent me an email... it contained a photo of the BHO he is installing on my S-20. And of course I felt "compelled" to email him back with a reply :lol:... So now I have 40 emails to him, and he 32 to me. :haha:

To provide you all some notion of an idea as to what a nut-buster this build has been, both for Tony and for me (well... for Tony I'm sure it was merely a matter of understanding what it was that I wanted; no ball-buster in doing the work), the following is just one of the emails that I sent to Tony. This particular email was sent on 10 January and detailed what I desired regarding modifying his galil charging handle design:

Tony, the following is the best as I am able to describe in writing, what I am looking for regarding modifying your current galil charging handle design:

(Below, whenever I mention "your current galil charging handle" I am refering to the galil handles on the weapons that you've posted on your Tromix website, and not the photo of the handle you just sent to me.)

1) As mentioned in my previous email, I want you to keep "exactly as is" the knob on your galil charger, except that I desire the bottom portion of the knob to be tapered in its angle downward as it attaches to the vertical arm of the charging handle. In that regard, the galil handle photo you forwarded is fine. But, I want to keep your current design's top, with the rounded crown on the knob.

2) I'd like the vertical portion of the charging handle to be wider at the bottom than your current design, as viewed from the side of the weapon. In other words, I wish for the vertical arm to be slightly trapezoidal shaped, as is the case with original Galil charging handles when viewed directly from the side of the weapon (at least, the several that I have seen). For you as the machinist, whether that means slightly grinding-down to a slight angle, from bottom to top with the top being the narrowest, the left and right sides of the vertical charging handle (so that it is narrowest in the vicinity where it meets the round knob), or going with a slightly thicker bar of steel so that the bottom portion of the vertical bar is wider than your current galil charging handle configuration, is your call. Personally, I much favor a wider vertical bottom than your present handle, which means wider bar steel.

3) The length of your current galil charging handle's vertical arm (minus the knob) is great. If you are able to taper the bottom portion of the knob handle, while maintaining the current measurement of the knob's diamond-cut vertical sides, the overall handle's vertical measurement (i.e., the vertical arm with the knob) will be slightly taller, due to the additional steel material required for tapering of the knob's bottom. THAT WOULD BE GREAT!

If there is anything mentioned above that is not clear to you, please let me know and I will expound in further detail.

Thank you so much for your time and patience in this regard.

~Gary

BELOW IS THE ATTACHED PHOTO/ILLUSTRATION I SENT ALONG WITH THE ABOVE EMAIL.

So, although not all my emails to him were of this length; contained this much information, you can likely get an idea what a.... difficult customer I may have proved to be for him.

BTW: I just received yet another email from Tony... problems encountered with fitting the Russian tactical forend with picatinny rail onto my Saiga-20 receiver (this part was designed to fit properly into a S-12)... he determined that alteration to the gun's front receiver where the forend's tongue snaps into place is needed; he will have to tig weld a small metal block into the receiver to achieve a snug fit for this forend (okay... I know; that's likely information overload for you all).

No need to be surprised that by the time this is all said and done, the email count (from me anyway) will be damned near 50 to Tony.... :wacko:

post-4853-1174669688_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary

Hot off Tony's machine press!!!! (so-to-speak). Tony just provided me the below photo of my galil charging handle (in ruff form). Likely to his chagrin I'm posting this, because were I to guess... due to the amount of time he had to spend on it (and due to his own sensibilities of perfectionism with his work)... he might not be as receptive to doing this again.

post-4853-1174673428_thumb.jpg

Leave him alone! your gun would be finished by now! hahah

Of course you are right Bvamp.... It's just that at this very moment I'm having kittens (okay... poor, unmanly choice of words) because Tony is working on my gun at this very minute; as I write this post reply.

:wacko: ... :wacko: ... :wacko: ... :wacko: ... :wacko: ... :wacko: ... :wacko: ... :wacko:

But hey, how about that friggen galil charging handle huh???? Pretty damned sweet, even if I am blowing my own-bloody horn (and Tony's), no? :super: ... :super: ... :super:

Edited by Gary
Everytime you send Tromix an unnecessary e-mail. God spawns another ATF-officer.

god.jpg

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Damn, I think I missed the cutoff, I don't think I can wait till Tony starts accepting again, I might just have to muddle through itm yself with Cobra's help!

Patience is a virtue... that I lack.

Hot off Tony's machine press!!!! (so-to-speak). Tony just provided me the below photo of my galil charging handle (in ruff form). Likely to his chagrin I'm posting this, because were I to guess... due to the amount of time he had to spend on it (and due to his own sensibilities of perfectionism with his work)... he might not be as receptive to doing this again.

Yes....that that charging handle is fantastic work! and I think about all the bullets I sweated putting in Dinzaqs muzzel break :unsure:

For all or anyone interested (i.e., those holding bets): with my TROMIX S-20 having been shipped and final payment transaction completed, the final email count (my count) is provided... for your amusement:

From Tony to me = 41

From me to Tony = 52

Total emails passed between: 93

:blink:

I thought it was kind of funny, actually. That's why I posted it.

39 e-mails from a good guy is much better then a couple from an ass-clown, trust me.

Your gun will be done in a couple of days. It's ripped apart on the bench right now, but I took the afternoon off to move my new Bridgeport Milling Machine (DRO, Power Feed, etc) into the shop. It's quite and upgrade from my old POS Jet.

Tony

Bridgeports are nice machines with great longevity. I used many in my machinist's apprenticeship.

Ohh how I wish I had one around now! lol (that or a haas & mazak.) :unsure:

Damn Gary, you've been cheating on me - :cryss:

Too funny...

I think I sent Tony 6 messages just for a couple brakes last year.

He responded every time. I suspect that may be why he is able to treat himself to a new bridgeport.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...