Saiga 308 vs Vepr 308

There are two AK version in 308. Saiga and Vepr. Just how much do they differ in accuracy? Yes, Vepr is more expensive and built on 1.6mm RPK receiver. Saiga is built on 1.2mm receiver.

Both have chrome lined barrels. So, which out of those two will have a better consistant accuracy on rapid fire? Also, can Vepr take 20 rnd M14 mags?

Thank you

I've never fired a VEPR before, but would like to, if only to see what the difference is between the "Boar" and the "Goat" ;) Even with that said, I'm gonna have to go with you on this one G O B. even with a 4 mm thicker receiver, it can't shoot that much better. And if I'm paying 500-700 dollars more it better shoot starighter than a whore in church on Sunday. And let's say, oh, just to shoot the shit, that it did shoot better and more accurate. I would still have to go with a Saiga just for the accessorizable option. There seems to be more options to put different furnature and things on a Saiga than a VEPR. And there is something kinda special about having a firearm that was made in the Izhmash factory. Just a little piece of the Communists' broken dream...now in my hands by ways of Capitalism. :chris::smoke:

Edited by Maniac Jack
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

For functional accuracy the VEPR has a thicker barrel and a little more attention paid to the alignment of barrel parts crowning the rest is cosmetic.

I don't want the weight of the heavier barrel since the Saiga is heavy enough and the first thing I did with my current S308 is cut,crown and thread so I know my crown is better than either a VEPR or a Saiga factory version but I have yet to find an adequate optic and ammo to wring it out completely but with Saigas creeping into the rareified 1" territory with some of our more involved target shooters on this board I think I dodged a bullet by going with the Saiga over the VEPR.

The difference in price is really negligble when you compare it to the price of any remotely competitve battle rifle design offering the same performance so I'd have qa VEPR if I really thought there was an advantage especially since I have 140 USGI M14 mag at my disposal but am paying $40ea for FBMG mags!

Edited by SOPMOD
I've owned and shot both in 22" and now both 16". Actually the Saiga barrel is meatier, the receiver is thinner. Much better fit & finish on the VEP, but both shoot the same.

The Saiga rifle is heavier than the VEPR? I didn't know that.I have held both of them and the VEPR seemed so much heavier I assumed it was the barrel making the VEPR feel so porky!

You learn something new everyday,thanks Dinzag..

It isn't worth the extra cash IMO, and if you want crazy accuracy, don't get an AK platform. Who the hell needs .5 MOA really? My .308 can kill an animal out to 200 with iron sights, that's accurate enough for me. I'll save up for the PSG-1 if I need any more than that.

Shane

.5 MOA is for taking that tastey animal from 350 yards away cleanly. and for winning bets with.

What do you consider tastey animal at 350yrds? Prarie rat? Really if you had a solid rest and practiced you could easily kill a deer at that range with a saiga. The vitals are not that small.

If someone has to get sub Moa accuracy go with a bolt action don't expect bolt action accuracy from an ak platform just like you wouldn't expect rapid fire capacity from a bolt.