.308 Accuracy

I've had a number of issues with getting my Saiga "settled in." Defective scope, different mounts etc.

I have the standard trigger and my bench setup wasn't the best but I've not been impressed with the groups using South African ammo.

I intend to improve my bench setup and try some commercial Federal Premium ammo I have on hand. Do any of you think the ammo is part of the issue or that better results will be had with the Federal ammo? Thanks, Don.

Edited by Harpoon
I've had a number of issues with getting my Saiga "settled in." Defective scope, different mounts etc.

I have the standard trigger and my bench setup wasn't the best but I've not been impressed with the groups using South African ammo.

I intend to improve my bench setup and try some commercial Federal Premium ammo I have on hand. Do any of you think the ammo is part of the issue or that better results will be had with the Federal ammo? Thanks, Don.

Got back from the range today after putting a new scope on mine. I was using two different types of ammo... Federal and some inexpense ammo.

I noticed a big difference in both. But once I zeroed in the scope the grouping was not to bad @ 100 yards for either one.... at 50 yards both were right on the money...

The support you use on the bench is very important.The pre-filled leather bags @ walmart are great.If you know someone who reloads shotshells the empty shot bags can be filled with dry beans or rice and sewed back up for cheap and effective sandbags.

I once read a book titled the ultimate in rifle accuracy the author described the importance of using a good solid rest or sandbag setup.My savage 10fp was getting just under 1" groups at 100 yds with my handloads,I remembered that the author suggested that you not let the front sling swivel rest on the bag but rather let it stay 3" or more in front of the bag-the reason being that the rifle begins to move back under recoil while the bullet is still travelling down the barrel,if the sling swivel is on the bag,the rifle will rise ever so slightly and inconsistantly before the bullet exits.I followed his suggestion and it made a difference on paper,the rifle now shoots easy 1/2" groups every time.I wouldnt have though that would make a difference but it sure did.

A few months ago a City Police Officer came out to the range with a brand new high dollar tactical rifle he had just bought.He was shooting off a tool box with a towel draped over it,the butt end simply supported by his shoulder and left hand.He was getting 1" to 1 1/2" groups with it and some very expensive factory loads.He seemed reasonably satisfied but not overjoyed with his new toy.I offered to let him use my sandbag and concrete block set up and advised him to keep the sling swivel in front of the front bag,his next groups were easy 1/2" and better.He started giggling like a kid.....I know the feeling.He left the range on his way to walmart to get a set of front and rear bags.

That rifle has got to be STILL when fired,dont control the moment the thing fires,keep stacking pressure on the trigger till BOOM it surprises you,dont forget to breathe and keep minimal contact between your body and the rifle,just your shoulder and trigger finger belong on it,use your left hand to squeeze and adjust the rear bag for windage and elevation control and keep that eye back away from the scope! OUCH!

Good luck and good shooting,

Bossman

Edited by Bossman

Nothing is as frustrating as a defective scope. I went through several boxes of 12gauge sabots before I realized my reticle was moving. Hurt shoulder and pocketbook.

Standard trigger sucks, dry to do a polish job or just convert and be done with it. I think someone sells replacement trigger groups for unconverted rifles Try dinzag in the WTS section.

You need a good rest and more importantly to get used to the rifle. If you get fustrated stop and take a break. Try some differnt ammo, but keep at it. Have someone who is a good shot watch you while you fire you may be doing something unconsiously. flinching, squeezing the trigger to fast, breathing, ect...

This past Saturday the best group I was able to get was a cloverleaf using 1975 manufactured Indian ammo.

Conditions were negligable winds, 77 degrees farhenheit, seated bench with 1 sandbag just forward of the magazine and another supporting the stock. The stock trigger group was polished and I had the sporting stock and forearm. The scope was a Tasco 6-24 x40.

Most of the other 3 round groups ranged from 1.5 to 2.75 inches. I didn't average them.

I'm not bragging (well, a little :angel: ) I just had a very, very, very good day on the range. The shooting gods were smiling. I paid a lot of attention to my rest placement, shoulder and cheek weld, breathing, and trigger squeeze. All the basics.

I doubt I could repeat it!

DocV

This is todays last clip... crappy 15-25 mph cross wind didn't help, but still not as good as usual.

This is with a bipod, SA surplus, 100 yds, semi-rapid fire (2 sec or so between shots)

I need to get out and practice more!

Here is a bit of advice, if you use the Belorussian scope mounts. Take out the screws that hold the rail on and Loctite those little MOTHER F*CKERS in. Both my .223 and .308 were shooting well at first today and the group sizes increased to the point I could not keep them on a 8 1/2" X 11" target as I continued to shoot. I noticed some wobble in the mounts and sure enough on both the screws started to work their way out. If the loctite doesn't work, I think I will put some longer allen head screws in with Nylocks or stake them down.

Here is a bit of advice, if you use the Belorussian scope mounts. Take out the screws that hold the rail on and Loctite those little MOTHER F*CKERS in. Both my .223 and .308 were shooting well at first today and the group sizes increased to the point I could not keep them on a 8 1/2" X 11" target as I continued to shoot. I noticed some wobble in the mounts and sure enough on both the screws started to work their way out. If the loctite doesn't work, I think I will put some longer allen head screws in with Nylocks or stake them down.

+1 on that! I was finally able to fire my baby this weekend and had the same issue. Very fustrating. But a lesson was learned. I also have to say that the RSA VEPR trigger is awesome!

Edited by Xzuatl