My newly converted Saiga 12

I converted my Saiga 3 days ago. I had one in the past that I had gotten from cdnn for $200 before the AWB died and my friend converted it for me after it died. I was able to sell it for way more than I payed for it but I have really missed it so I got my current one a few weeks ago from atlantic firearms. I have the factory 5rd mag, one 8rd mag, and just got 3 AGP mags earlier than expected today :super: Damn the 10rd mags are so big they almost look retarded. Still cool as hell but I prefer the 8rd mag a little more. The only part of the conversion that was a PITA was drilling through the spot weld. I made three titanium drill bits completely dull and it took a couple of hours for that single hole. I didn't realize the newer Saiga 12's come with a bolt hold open device until I messed with it right before converting it. That's a really nice addition.

Here's my exhausted wife I harassed for a pic:

IMG_1823.jpg

Edited by SaigaFodder
I converted my Saiga 3 days ago. I had one in the past that I had gotten from cdnn for $200 before the AWB died and my friend converted it for me after it died. I was able to sell it for way more than I payed for it but I have really missed it so I got my current one a few weeks ago from atlantic firearms. I have the factory 5rd mag, one 8rd mag, and just got 3 AGP mags earlier than expected today :super: Damn the 10rd mags are so big they almost look retarded. Still cool as hell but I prefer the 8rd mag a little more. The only part of the conversion that was a PITA was drilling through the spot weld. I made three titanium drill bits completely dull and it took a couple of hours for that single hole. I didn't realize the newer Saiga 12's come with a bolt hold open device until I messed with it right before converting it. That's a really nice addition.

IMG_1823.jpg

would a dremel have worked?

your wife looks like a doll in that HUGE chair

IMG_1823.jpg

would a dremel have worked?

your wife looks like a doll in that HUGE chair

I don't know the only things for my dremel I could find small enough for the job was a tapered grinding stone, a round bur, and a basic drill bit. I tried them all and none of them worked well. I could have went to the store to get more stuff for my dremel but I live way out in the sticks. I had grinding stones and cutting discs so I felt I could get by without going to town. The rest of the reciever was no where near as hard. It took less than a minute to drill any other holes. I guess the spot weld kinda heat treated that area because it really was ridiculous. I wish I had my high speed hand piece at home and a compressor and adaptors to run it (I'm a dental student). They run at 400,000 rpm which will cut through anything like butter. I know that RPM rate sounds unrealistic but do a search on high speed handpieces and it will be confirmed.

Edited by SaigaFodder

Wifey (my wife) looking over my shoulder commented: "She doesn't look exhausted, she looks ticked off that you spent your money on that shotgun and not on a ring for her..."

Funny, all I noticed was the beautiful lady and the weapon. Guess women have a slightly different perspective!

-Scott

Edited by adamsesq

Wifey (my wife) looking over my shoulder commented: "She doesn't look exhausted, she looks ticked off that you spent your money on that shotgun and not on a ring for her..."

Funny, all I noticed was the beautiful lady and the weapon. Guess women have a slightly different perspective!

-Scott

LOL

She has a ring. She was lounging so she didn't have it on. She used to work at a really nice jewelry store. She worked there when we got engaged so I was pretty much screwed. I just let her pick it out since she looked at them every day. That damn thing took forever to pay for with what I was making.

Nylon hole plugs (3/16") from lowes,cover up them shiny bolts

I'm using the front chicago screw or whatever it's called for the retaining wire. I bought a retaining plate but the bolt carrier was hitting it. Maybe I did something wrong when I was trying to get the retaining plate in.

Nylon hole plugs (3/16") from lowes,cover up them shiny bolts

I'm using the front chicago screw or whatever it's called for the retaining wire. I bought a retaining plate but the bolt carrier was hitting it. Maybe I did something wrong when I was trying to get the retaining plate in.

That I can't help ya with since I haven't done my S-12, just my x39. Although there was two grooves in each of the pins that the retaining plate slid into, then the last hole was for the saftey lever so I'm not sure how if you lined those 3 up the retaining plate would hit the bolt carrier. Maybe some more experienced guys will be able to figure it out.

If not just paint em'

Great taste in guns,AND women,I see! :smoke:

I have had retaining plates in every ak I own so I know how they work. I thought maybe the reciever was different or something. I probably did something wrong. i didn't mess with it much. I am going to be taking it apart to finish some areas with some alumahyde 2. When I do that I will try again.

nice piece. beautiful in its simplicity.

but i bet it wont be long before you put on a SAW-style grip, a muzzlebreak etc etc etc :)

(i'm going to try & keep mine simple.)

I like keeping things simple. I may add a ace folding stock later but that's about it.

Oops I quoted the wrong person in my last post.

Edited by SaigaFodder

but i bet it wont be long before you put on a SAW-style grip, a muzzlebreak etc etc etc :)

I like keeping things simple. I may add a ace folding stock later but that's about it.

wut did you plug the holes with... it give a lil contrast

wut did you plug the holes with... it give a lil contrast

Some aluminum screw posts (also known as chicago screws posts) I got at Ace. I was planning on making them black eventually.