My gunsmith is so backed up that I just took my rifle back today, and finished my conversion...aside from the grip screw washer it went well.

Has anybody tried cutting a notch in the newer FSB's and removing them that way? I want to go with a clamp on sight anyway.

as far as I am aware, all AKM type FSB assemblies are pressed and pinned in place. you will need to remove the pins, im thiniking. take a gander at your FSB and see if there are two pins in it. if there are, i dont think cutting through the bottom part of the FSB will work. just my 2 cents. I dont know if the design or engineering has changed. if the pins ain' there? cut it, fuck it, and pound it off with an axle fork.

Try putting a block of wood behind it and smack it with a hammer.

If that doesn't work, you can slit it along the bottom to release tension.

(Providing you wont need to reinstall it.)

Let me know too if you are getting rid of that FSB. We might be able to swing a partial trade for a clamp-on threaded FSB. I'll be building one for my rifle for demo purposes and would like to use a Saiga 308 upper portion. :up:

Let me know too if you are getting rid of that FSB. We might be able to swing a partial trade for a clamp-on threaded FSB. I'll be building one for my rifle for demo purposes and would like to use a Saiga 308 upper portion. :up:

Have you given any thought to making a clamp on front sight like the ACE setup?

Speaking of the FSB, I really want my .308's in AKM configuration, with a threaded muzzle 14x1 LH with the little plunger retainer. So the question is this: Is it possible after getting the Saiga FSB off to drill a hole for a plunger pin? Or will I have to get a FSB with one already installed?

My gunsmith is so backed up that I just took my rifle back today, and finished my conversion...aside from the grip screw washer it went well.

Has anybody tried cutting a notch in the newer FSB's and removing them that way? I want to go with a clamp on sight anyway.

Thats how I did my 7.62x39, but now I just us a press. If you do cut it off you could do this weld sight on GB

I just got done doing it and I think it looks better then the ace clamp on sight and is cheaper. Not to mention that Ace won't have them until may.

I feel pretty dumb now, as my FSB is off. I found a seriously easy solution!

I have a cheapo brass punch kit ($19 dollar special) that is pretty beat up.

I slid the narrow end of a 9/32 into the barrel. The shoulder fit inside the FSB and rested against the barrel. Placed the punch on the ground, and a few taps and it was off! Eureka!

Just thought I would share.

I couldn't get it to budge before, and assumed it needed to be pressed. Nope!

I'm getting ready to take mine off, if you're still in need of one. Even if not, I'm still wanting to pick up a threaded FSB ;)

Thanks

James

I have a question about boring/reaming my FSB. It doesn't look like there is much material on the tube. The ID of the tube looks to be just under 5/8". Is this about the same size that you all have been modifying boring/reaming?

Also, how do you time the brakes that thread on? Are you using crush washers?