Skeleton stock.... tis a tad short..

So I got my new factory skeleton stock in the mail from stanley's today. Got it mocked up in a minute or so, but um.... she's kinda short. It's about an inch shorter than the stock buttstock, and about 2.5" total shorter than my choate dragunov version (on a ruger).

Now, I haven't gotten a chance to get on the bag or anything, but do any of you guys have issues with it being shorter? Perhaps it's better to be shorter, especially when using the POSP optics and a rest.. I may be jumping the gun (ha?) a bit early.

Worst case, I think I could build a 1,5" spacer for the end :)

Now, If my optics and vented stock arrive this week, I'll be one happy camper.

Yep...... mine feels way to short.

Its the skeleton from gilbertsguns.com for the unmodified Saiga.

https://www.gilbertsguns.com/index.php?requ...;categoryid=439

I just tried it out and my cheek goes way over the front of the adjustable cheek pad.

Besides that, it just plain sucks how short it is.... I had to keep adjusting after every shot.

Other than the shortness, its a nice stock.

Thanks for the heads up.... gonna check into that Limbsaver now.

If I can find a good recoil pad, this stock will be tits!

Edited by SnakeShot
Hi, what size limbsaver slip-on pad did you use?

Also does anybody know if the slip-on butt pads for the SKS Dragunov stock will fit the Saiga skeleton stock?

Thanks Doug

No... I just got my sks Fiberforce/Dragunov recoil pad and its quite a bit smaller than the end of the Saiga skeleton.

If anyone finds something that will work, please post a link :up:

Hi, what size limbsaver slip-on pad did you use?

Also does anybody know if the slip-on butt pads for the SKS Dragunov stock will fit the Saiga skeleton stock?

Thanks Doug

No... I just got my sks Fiberforce/Dragunov recoil pad and its quite a bit smaller than the end of the Saiga skeleton.

If anyone finds something that will work, please post a link :up:

I think a limbsaver pad fits the stock wood/synth drag stock.... but don't hold me to it ;)

I have a Limbsaver on my skeleton stock. I just found the biggest one at GI Joes, and it fit fine. It's either large or extra large. I don't have the box with me anymore, so I can't tell you the model number or anything. I'm pretty big, and that stock was pretty short, but now it feels like an extension of myself when shooting.

The only thing I need to do now is Dremel a notch so that the cheek can be adjusted to a lefty-friendly spot.

Hope this helps.

:unsure: Ok, I too just got my Saiga skeleton stock and have 1 question. HOW do you get the bottom screw installed properly? I thought that I was mechanically inclined, however this one is throwing me for a loop (too many Icechouses and lortabs?). Top 2 were a piece of cake, but find exactly where the bottom one goes has me scratching my head. :cryss:

Joe

Hi guys, just picked up a LARGE size Limbsaver slip-on recoil pad & it fits great!

I tried a Pachmyr slip-on before & it just didn't work :( .

Until Saiga comes up with some new kind of factory buttplate for the Saiganov stock it works :D .

Doug

I picked up a telescoping AR stock to figure out what I wanted, and THOUGHT i wanted the long long nato pull to the stock. I wound up welding my stock as per facist NY state law, to the fully closed position. my setup is a tad different than "casual use and hunting", but I dont buy guns to eat with or shoot for fun. I have my armaments to kill the facist pricks with that are taking control of our country and our rights, slowly. but thats for another discussion, in itself. seeinghow i mentioned it, ya'll should just know that I wont give them up alive. and I mean it. they give the grandfather clause out of fear of people like myself. I dont float well with those, either. we need to take america back. ANYWAY.

you really need to decide what you want to use the gun for, and go with THAT mentality. my stock is so short now on my RIFLE, that I feel the bolt going past my cheek. on my s12, I have a monte carlo PG stock, with a rubber buttpad. I am happy with both. the stock on my s12 is a 308 wood stock, I got it from a member of this forum off of his 308.

its all about the weld you get with the stock to arm, and to your face. if you are part yeti like I am, you want large stocks in most cases, and regardless of what part of what you are, will want another setup that is up close and personal sounding.

or at least that is what Ive found out. I feel like Im making a pointless post, though. Ill post it though. maybe it will help you decide. when the "day" comes, you need a gun that you dont have to think about. THAT is the key. make sure its what you are comfortable with, above all. and practice with it.

I have shot off "the bag" maybe once. I was training for biatholon at one point of my life, as well as studying under martial artists. your conception of shooting and mine may possibly be a bit different. not better or worse, just different.

Hi Folks

Newbie here. Just got a 16" with the skeleton stock. I agree. Too short for me. I just wondered if anybody had actually tried the Kalinka SVD slipover?? http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/detail.aspx?ID=580 I measured and it seems a little small according to their dimensions. It might stretch but I am not sure.

If anybody has actual experience, lket us know.

If not, I might be the tester for this.

Thanks and glad to be here.

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Folks

Newbie here. Just got a 16" with the skeleton stock. I agree. Too short for me. I just wondered if anybody had actually tried the Kalinka SVD slipover?? http://www.kalinkaoptics.com/detail.aspx?ID=580 I measured and it seems a little small according to their dimensions. It might stretch but I am not sure.

Kevin

Anybody figured out the right size yet - not much selection at the shops near me so I'll need to get one over the web so if you have a brand, model and size that would be great. I need to add an inch or more to the length - I'd love a screw on solution but a slip on will work as well - Oh I forgot to mention - I'm CHHEEEAAAP so bonus points if the suggestion is a cheapo! Thanks fellas - keep shooting straight :osama::killer:

Edited by GunOwner
:unsure: Ok, I too just got my Saiga skeleton stock and have 1 question. HOW do you get the bottom screw installed properly? I thought that I was mechanically inclined, however this one is throwing me for a loop (too many Icechouses and lortabs?). Top 2 were a piece of cake, but find exactly where the bottom one goes has me scratching my head. :cryss:

Joe

You probably figured this out - but just in case - take the bottom off the grip and look up in the cavity - that's where that bottom screw goes (no wise cracks - I tried to think of a way to say this that didn't make it sound XXX rated).

Keep shootinf straight :osama::killer:

Joe

You probably figured this out - but just in case - take the bottom off the grip and look up in the cavity - that's where that bottom screw goes (no wise cracks - I tried to think of a way to say this that didn't make it sound XXX rated).

Keep shootinf straight :osama::killer:

Thank you for your response.

I wish it were that easy. When the bottom plate is removed, there is a "boss" that the bottom plate screw screws into. That "boss" runs 2/3 of the way down the pistol grip on the inside, there is a opening of 3/16th +/- , than the "boss" continues to the upper part of the stock. I can see where the rearward most screw on the top of the stock has barely come thru to the inside of the pistol grip. When I align the original sporting stock along side the skeleton stock it appears that the bottom screw would be located a little forward on the "boss", and I doubt if the screw would be long enough to do any good.

I was thinking that someone may have done the same stock swap and could give me an easy fix.

Thanks again for you response. My response was 3x rated - "frupped dup". I am wondering if it would be safe to shoot with only the 2 screws.

Joe

Hi Folks

Kevin

I have that SVD buttpad and no it does not work for the skeleton stock like i thought, its made for the underfolders and side folers...

see here.

post-5728-1177601468_thumb.png

I did buy a Large Limbsaver slip on pad and it fits pretty good.

Edited by Kaiser

The cheek piece does not move forward and back, only around. Just grip it and twist, it has some indents that interlock with a raised "wedge" that keeps it from turning freely. If the factory indents do not match your cheek, you can cut additional indents in the cheek piece.

Hope this helps.

Joe

The word I got back from Krebs on the bottom screw is:

"It appears that it's just the two screws on the top. There's no provision for the bottom screw."

Now can someone tell me how to adjust the cheek piece?

:osama::killer:

I just put mine on today and I too have been wondering about the bottom screw. I was figuring on leaving it out but feel there should be one in there. I removed the bottom plate on the grip area and can see inside ok but there is not enough room to line up where the bottom screw should go. I was even thinking about drilling through the bottom of the grip and counter sinking a screw where it would line up with the hole in the rear of the trigger guard. :unsure: Anyone successfully add the bottom screw?

The cheek piece is an easy one to modify. It adjusts by pushing rearward on it, causing the spring tension to allow it to clear the locking tab thats in the front of it. Notching it with a Dremel where needed would allow for multiple locking positions.

Thanks fellas - on the bottom screw issue Krebs seems to think not needed. I was on a trip to AZ and a friend dry fit a skeleton on his and we almost couldn't get it off with no screws. That combined with the fact that the most violent part of the use of the gun forces the stock into the gun makes me think the bottom screw might not be necessary. It would be nice to be sure - - does anyone have a saiga that came from the factory with a Skeleton Stock on it? If so, give a look up the handle grip cavity and let us know if you see a screw.

Thanks fellas - on the bottom screw issue Krebs seems to think not needed. I was on a trip to AZ and a friend dry fit a skeleton on his and we almost couldn't get it off with no screws. That combined with the fact that the most violent part of the use of the gun forces the stock into the gun makes me think the bottom screw might not be necessary. It would be nice to be sure - - does anyone have a saiga that came from the factory with a Skeleton Stock on it? If so, give a look up the handle grip cavity and let us know if you see a screw.

My skeleton stock was factory installed, and yes there is a screw in the bottom of the grip, and two on top.

My skeleton stock was factory installed, and yes there is a screw in the bottom of the grip, and two on top.

Kaiser - Just so I am clear (I asked the question badly before), is the screw on the bottom INSIDE the grip cavity - up through the trigger guard and into the stock center block? Or is it just a screw at the bottom of the grip (holding a cover in place). If the latter, can you remove the plate at the bottom of the grip and look inside to see if there is a screw up inside the cavity - through the trigger guard and into the stock center block and please report back. Those of us retrofitting might be able to learn enough to install ours properly. Thanks for your help.

Edited by GunOwner

Kaiser - Just so I am clear (I asked the question badly before), is the screw on the bottom INSIDE the grip cavity - up through the trigger guard and into the stock center block? Or is it just a screw at the bottom of the grip (holding a cover in place). If the latter, can you remove the plate at the bottom of the grip and look inside to see if there is a screw up inside the cavity - through the trigger guard and into the stock center block and please report back. Those of us retrofitting might be able to learn enough to install ours properly. Thanks for your help.

Ok i didnt quite understand what you were saying before... i removed the bottom cover and there is not a screw going into the stock block, it was just there to hold the cover on.

Edited by Kaiser