How long all of our edit button be availible in each post?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. How long of an edit delay should we have for our posts here?

• Ten minutes
    • Thirty minutes
    • Two hours
    • 12 hours
    • Twenty Four hours
    • One week

just wonderin' :unsure:

saiga-12.com Staff edit:This topic will automatically close on 04-07-07 which is one week. please vote.

We value what you think.

Edited by Bvamp
Good issue, good solution.

i dunno, at least an hour would be good. 2 hrs would be plenty for most occasions.

any limit does, however, eliminate the possibility of a nice, clean, perpetual for sale post in the marketplace.

...it even eliminates the possibility of tagging items with "SPF" in the marketplace.

I understand that you don't want people "changing history", but have there really been many problems with over-editing?

the point is to not wait for it to happen.

thank you for the question, and especially that it come from a contirbuter here.

we will never EXPIRE your subscriptions or donations here, UNLIKE the other places out there. it is money well spent. you will directly help with hosting fees, even if it is five bucks. your five bucks will make you a contributer, and you will ALWAYS have use of the for sale section, with that account.

I am writing a basic statement that the rest of the guys WILL look at and add to, and THEN WE will release it to you all in the next 24 hours. sometime sunday.

I put down a week, but actually like the old indefinate way. There are plenty of times when incorrect information is put in a post where it would be good to just be able to go back and delete it, or in some cases, add information without stringing the post along. The for sale thing is another good example, but I don't see the point of changing things, I don't see it as being broke in the first place.

I guess I don't understand the problem of guys editing their posts. I edit every one of mine about 3 times right after I post it.....fixing all the spelling and grammer errors. Now my posts are all going to look like a drunk posted them. ;-)

There is only one other forum that restricted the ability of people to edit their own posts, and shortly thereafter they lost participation and many other forums got new members. That forum has since gone back to its old policies on that and other things.

The problems with the prohibition are worse than the ones without. Posting and enforcing clear forum rules will do more to solve the problems.

Removing the editing feature is taking away a simple, common, and useful feature that everyone else offers. When mistakes can't be fixed and for-sale ads can't be updated without bumping, this forum will become less attractive and less competitive.

Recent issues, even though more or less resolved, have left a bad taste in people's mouths, and this forum needs to do everything possible to attract responsible members and take action against those who cause problems (as fits the occasion), not make everyone's life harder because of the actions of a few.

Edited by BattleRifleG3

if it's spelling errors you guys are so fussed up about, the admin can simply add a spellchecker to the forum (easy as pie).

as far as i'm concerned, 30 minutes should be enough.

the problem if you let people edit too long after the actual post is that they'll change the content of the posts, thereby disrupting the history and flow of the thread (possibly rendering the following posts into incomprehensable gibberish).

if it's spelling errors you guys are so fussed up about, the admin can simply add a spellchecker to the forum (easy as pie).

the problem if you let people edit too long after the actual post is that they'll change the content of the posts, thereby disrupting the history and flow of the thread (possibly rendering the following posts into incomprehensable gibberish).

sure, leave it to the european to favor heavier restrictions :rolleyes: .... perhaps we should pay a per-post usage tax, as well? something along VAT lines?

:P (all in fun, of course)

+1

I doubt it would really be that catastrophic. Was it a problem before? Sometimes you just gotta give people the benefit of the doubt.

I like the old way, especially for tutorials. If you learn something new, or find that you had been wrong about some detail a few months down the road, it just makes more sense to edit the original post than to add a new comment to the end of the thread.

Are you guys willing to share any specific examples of the harm that has come from editing posts?

I vote to only restrict what is necessary. Don't fix what ain't broken, etc. But I edit my posts right after posting when I realize I only typed half the words in the sentence in my head.

*Mel Gibson voice* Freedom! F R E E D O M!!!!!!!!

Edited by busy_squirrel

I believe 24hr is a good compromise. Gives you plenty of time to catch any mistakes or even add a pic to your post . I am on another board that only gives you a couple of hrs which has aggravated me a few times.

Edited by akok

Dude, I'm with you.

(in Arnold's voice) Sara Connor??.........

I doubt it would really be that catastrophic. Was it a problem before? Sometimes you just gotta give people the benefit of the doubt.

not catastrophic, but simply annoying.

i've seen it happen 2-3 times since i've been here, but i dont really feel like wasting my time to dig it up (sorry squirrel).

I like the old way, especially for tutorials. If you learn something new, or find that you had been wrong about some detail a few months down the road, it just makes more sense to edit the original post than to add a new comment to the end of the thread.

even with the restrictions, you can still do that. just ask a mod to do that for you. i'm sure they'd be happy to comply if it is worthwhile information.

But I edit my posts right after posting when I realize I only typed half the words in the sentence in my head.

you know, that's what "preview post" is for. ;)

forum discipline! (much like trigger discipline) :killer:

thats the thing. after a day, why WOULD you need to edit the posts?

we like to have record of for sale stuff here, it not only shows history of transactions and who sold what, but it also generates hits here. both of which, are good things. we also like to review past information to see fluctuations in the gun market, which you cannot do without a history of some kind to look at. how do you know what something is worth if you cannot look at past transactions? dont YOU all look on ebay at the completed auctions to see what something might be worth?

and FYI. in FULL reply, NOT the fast reply. there IS a spell checker. look in the upper right corner for the ABC box with a checkmark.

although I doubt it will fix drunken grammar mistakes.

although I doubt it will fix drunken grammar mistakes.

That's my problem. Sometimes I'll come back a day later or after the weekend & while reading-up on new replies, I'll notice that I've left an entire word out of my post or something. :rolleyes: So then I try to fix it & move on.

But I edit my posts right after posting when I realize I only typed half the words in the sentence in my head.

Has nothing to do with "forum discipline" because I speak in the same broken, recursive manner. Aethelbert said it better:

Any editing I may feel needs to be done to one of my posts/replies is done within a couple of minutes.

That said, I'll stay here regardless of whatever editing restrictions are added.

Edited by busy_squirrel

oh I can feel the love. nice signature, by the way, skull.

I am glad to see the lines of communication arent working. this is the first Ive heard of people complaining about the edit thing. the vote is WAY lopsided to the long term ANYWAY, which is why I thoguht I would ask the general public about what they thought.

I am glad I did, and glad you all are chiming in about it.