Best way to store Saiga-12

I'm new to the Saiga 12. I bought it for home protection. I have the folding stock and 10rd magazine. I pulled it out tonight just to give it a look over and I noticed that the 00buck had developed a flat spot on the top of them. I store the rifle with the magazine topped off and locked in place, chamber empty. When I tried to chamber the first round, it did not want to go in and jammed. I replaced the round with a fresh one out of the box and had no problems....went in nice and smooth. How can I avoid this problem in the future while keeping the weapon ready for use in a home protection mode? Thank you all in advance for any information you may bring to the table.

I'm new to the Saiga 12. I bought it for home protection. I have the folding stock and 10rd magazine. I pulled it out tonight just to give it a look over and I noticed that the 00buck had developed a flat spot on the top of them. I store the rifle with the magazine topped off and locked in place, chamber empty. When I tried to chamber the first round, it did not want to go in and jammed. I replaced the round with a fresh one out of the box and had no problems....went in nice and smooth. How can I avoid this problem in the future while keeping the weapon ready for use in a home protection mode? Thank you all in advance for any information you may bring to the table.

This has been a common problem. About the only good way I've heard is to use steel case rounds or at least have the top round a steel case.

A thread posted some time back suggested using either brass or steel hull cartridges at least for the first round to prevent deformation. Another suggested using a slug as a top round. Another option might be to use the manual bolt hold open device to lock the carrier back with the magazine locked into place. This would prevent plastic shell deformation, but it might compromise the spring integrity over time.

My observations from reading alot of threads and articles.

The earliest shotgun shells were usually metal (steel or brass). Military spec shells used to be metal case. I think that changed after World War II. Common plastic shells might be the weakest link in the AK shotgun platform.

A thread posted some time back suggested using either brass or steel hull cartridges at least for the first round to prevent deformation. Another suggested using a slug as a top round. Another option might be to use the manual bolt hold open device to lock the carrier back with the magazine locked into place. This would prevent plastic shell deformation, but it might compromise the spring integrity over time.

My observations from reading alot of threads and articles.

The earliest shotgun shells were usually metal (steel or brass). Military spec shells used to be metal case. I think that changed after World War II. Common plastic shells might be the weakest link in the AK shotgun platform.

another popular concensus is to use factory 5 or 8 round mag... unless you live in a high zombie populus do ya need 10 ronds for home def?

Funny you mention that...

I was just at the gun store yesterday and came across some of those .45 replacement springs (in the baggy types) while looking at other items. Amazingly, they do look very very close to length and strength.

I might just take my springs down there buy a couple of them if they're the same size (what the heck -I do that sort of thing) and swap them out to just to check the action. I suspect they would be weaker though.

I'll have to compare the S12 spring to that of my RPK and AK74. Those would probably be less expensive alternatives though (+sizing/cutting) -IF they have the same specs that is. But, I believe the S12 spring is supposed to be "stronger". Buying factory replacements would be the best course to do anyway. After all, I can't remember the last time I had an "AK" of any caliber having spring issues. Replacing it would be a rare case I think.

Interesting thought though.

Edited by whatmanual

Hang that puppy over the door in the master bedroom with you favorite pistol and the second one over the door in your closet with an extra pistol.

also sleep with a pair of 38's, 44's or 45's.............

Soon............as in your rasie will not be soon.................

another popular concensus is to use factory 5 or 8 round mag... unless you live in a high zombie populus do ya need 10 ronds for home def?

Well, maybe some of us live next to graveyards, which we'd be the first line of defense, after all. :smoke:

Does keeping a slug in the top round work well with the 10-round magazine, or do these not feed properly after a while as well?

Is it relevant if the magazine is in the shotgun or not?

KW