Brass shotshells

For those reloaders out there to consider....

http://www.magtechammunition.com/sitepages...;search=details

(google for: Magtech and search the products for brass shells -12 gauge or whatever).

Might be an alternative for the steel Russian ones I keep reading about. I'm probably going to buy a reloading kit in the near future, so I was just poking around and found those. Not sure how those would "crimp" (seal up). Probably some sort of end cap like S&B has or something.

If I get all that together this month or next, perhaps I'll write a report how they hold up and store in a full load mag etc.

Obviously not something to go plinking with every day.....but certainly something to have for a top round for the mags that stay at home :)

Probably not cost effective to make them or sell them (let alone shipping live ammunition and the headaches with any "unknown laws" that may arise).

But its food for thought for our reloading community out there.

~S

For those reloaders out there to consider....

http://www.magtechammunition.com/sitepages...;search=details

(google for: Magtech and search the products for brass shells -12 gauge or whatever).

Might be an alternative for the steel Russian ones I keep reading about. I'm probably going to buy a reloading kit in the near future, so I was just poking around and found those. Not sure how those would "crimp" (seal up). Probably some sort of end cap like S&B has or something.

If I get all that together this month or next, perhaps I'll write a report how they hold up and store in a full load mag etc.

Obviously not something to go plinking with every day.....but certainly something to have for a top round for the mags that stay at home :)

Probably not cost effective to make them or sell them (let alone shipping live ammunition and the headaches with any "unknown laws" that may arise).

But its food for thought for our reloading community out there.

~S

i would love to have metal cased rounds myself... don't even know why, just seems natural i guess

i just have one question... why... i ask out of my own ignorance...

are the imported steel rounds not good... in otherwords why make your own if others are

The imported steel rounds ARE good if you can find them.

Brass home rolled ones are great too, only more expensive.

I've been meaning to tell you.

you look kinda funny with that bushy tail but damn man you got some big nuts!!

why thank you... they go well with my big gun

Overall length is too long to function well in the mags.

From the specs:

Bullet Features: Firearm Chamber Length=2 3/4" ----- Brass Case Length=2.45"

Kind of confusing to see the overall length being 4"

Either it means that they can be made for those 3 1/2" shells ....or cut down to the right size for your needs. "One size fits all" in that regard.

Not sure...need someone with real experience on reloading with brass shotgun shells to know for sure (just considering starting out...comparing the cost effectiveness on it though).

Like I said... just a thought :)

~S

Well, I've been using them for a month or so. Both the 12 ga and .410 without any real issues so far.

I do need to tweak my loads a bit but the hulls function fine. I'm using the .444 Marlin Lee dies for the .410.

I use the kit that Ballistic Products sells for the 12 ga. Once I get settled into my new house in Indiana, I should have more time.

Right now, I can't be messing with loads, I busy fleeing Illinois!

I have had excellent reliability with Barnul steel hulls. However they can only be used as the top round in the 10rd mags that I have.

The rims are a touch wider and thicker than other shells.

The Barnauls seem to work, full mag with the AGP mags I have. These things must have more variation than I thought.

I guess the magazines aren't made with as tight a tolerance as I was first lead to believe.

As long as I keep getting lucky with the ones I'm getting though, I guess I don't care...

The Barnul's will probably work in my AGP's after they have a few 100 rounds to break in. The AGP's are too well made , if anything. Their tolerances are closer that the factory 5's.

For reloaders, how about silicone caulk insted of a crimp?