Making Progress on conversion

what is the over all lenght unfolded...stock compressed vs. extended?

From the tip of the shark break to the end of the buttstock pad: 40'' w/ stock compressed and 42'' with it open.

This is with the half inch recoil pad that comes with the SOCOM. For you, with not planning on running the side folding mechanism I would say take a half inch off these numbers unless you ran the 1inch recoil pad then they should be the same or close. Also if running no shark break take a inch and half off also. When the stock is folded it is 31inches. the weight is right around 9lbs, but it feels lighter. :killer:

73cj5- The 93B is made by magpul and is also a rock solid stock. It was a experment stock that was sold and did very well. The magpul UBR is coming soon to replace it as the 93B is not made anymore. The UBR is going to be more user friendly with less hassle. I own a 93B and have it on my AR10T and the stock is just awsome when it comes to cheekweld but a little wide I think for a side folding Saiga. Hopefully the UBR will be more stream line as it would be a great stock for the S12.

what is the over all lenght unfolded...stock compressed vs. extended?

From the tip of the shark break to the end of the buttstock pad: 40'' w/ stock compressed and 42'' with it open.

This is with the half inch recoil pad that comes with the SOCOM. For you, with not planning on running the side folding mechanism I would say take a half inch off these numbers unless you ran the 1inch recoil pad then they should be the same or close. Also if running no shark break take a inch and half off also. When the stock is folded it is 31inches. the weight is right around 9lbs, but it feels lighter. :killer:

yours looks so good i like the folder now

it is straight instead of angled

and it just plain looks good

Well the kick is alot less then what it was when it was in the stock config. As far as with or with out the break I have no Idea but I am pretty sure it does help. I did manage to poke my buddy :lol: with the break a few times when we were putting it together.

Hunter, that thing is bad to the bone man! I've been trying to get up the nerve to tackle the conversion myself, and reading your thread helped with the self-confidence thing. I've got the Shark Brake from Tony and it's installed along with an internal buffer from BlackJack buffers. That made a lot of difference to me as far as felt recoil. I decided on the Socom stock with folder months ago, and now seeing yours makes it definite! Your pics look just like what I want. Then later on I want to get an 8" SBS from Tony.

Thanks for all the pics and for the thread too man. Any chance you could run down the costs of the materials and where you picked them up? You can PM me if you want. But I think it would be a nice finishing touch on an already superb thread. Again, great job! :smoke:

Edited by badman400

Badman400: All I can tell you is take your time on the conversion and it will go smoothly. I am not a patient person when it comes to this kind of stuff so I did clip the rear of the reciever when I was cutting the tang for the internal reciever block. Thankfully it was'nt bad and I noticed in time. However I would suggest cutting the tang about 1/16 or so shy of the reciever and hit the rest with a flat file. Also a set of triangle files were a real time saver with the pistol grip hole.

As far as parts and cost I will try and do my best by memory, but I try not to remember on projects like this as I tend to cringe :blink:.

19'' S-12 --$500 localy

Russian tactical handguard-- $55 from Gilberts guns

CQD Vert grip --$80 from Rainerarms

Shark break, pistolgrip nut and Jpoint mount --$175 from Tromix

Ace internal reciever Block, Ace folding Socom and Ergo grip--$335 from Ace

Optima2000 reddot $120 used from ar15.com EE

4 AGP 10rd mags --$220 from AGP

G2 single hook FCG with shepords hook --$55 from tapco

So just over $1500 for everything. All the prices are going off memory so take the final cost with a grain of salt. You definitly dont need a $80 vert grip but I just wanted one. Hope this info helps out and if you need any help along the way with your conversion please feel free to ask. Ryan

...So just over $1500 for everything. All the prices are going off memory so take the final cost with a grain of salt. You definitly dont need a $80 vert grip but I just wanted one. Hope this info helps out and if you need any help along the way with your conversion please feel free to ask. Ryan

Thanks for the info Hunter! :super:

VERY nice! I currently own a Magpul 93a stock and was wondering if i could use it on a Saiga12... Its a great stock and is very rugged....

currently i'm trying to figure out which weapon to go with... complete my AR15 carbine... or make a Saiga12 carbine... price will be about the same, so its more of a matter of which weapon platform will service me better in a SHTF situation / home defense...

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... and again... NICE WEAPON! :D

VERY nice! I currently own a Magpul 93a stock and was wondering if i could use it on a Saiga12... Its a great stock and is very rugged....

currently i'm trying to figure out which weapon to go with... complete my AR15 carbine... or make a Saiga12 carbine... price will be about the same, so its more of a matter of which weapon platform will service me better in a SHTF situation / home defense...

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... and again... NICE WEAPON! :D

You can use the M93 with the S12 you just have to get a AR stock adapter. Mine was included with the Socom from ACE, I know they got them for sale individualy also.

I would say for home defense you cant go wrong with either and I will give the edge to the S12 without question. For a SHTF I would say the AR15. My reasons for this is: If the SHTF do you really want to let the enemy/zombies with in spitting distance so you can use your shotty? For me I can use my AR anywhere from up close to 300-400yds. BUT theres nothing like 10 rds of 00buck in a few seconds. I say decide what your overall goal is with your next rifle/shotgun you put together, weight out the pros and cons of both and see which would fit your needs the best. If anything buy the AR stripped lower so you got it and get going on the S12 conversion :killer::devil: .

Hope this helps, Ryan

Edited by hunter121