S-12 shooting way high

My 19" S-12 was shooting slugs high and I could compensate by aiming low. But now I have shortened the barrel a little and welded on a Polychoke. Now the S-12 is really shooting high. I raised the front sight some but still not in the ball park. Slugs are hitting about 3-4 feed high at 100 yds.

My next test is going to be to mount a Trijicon reflex sight on a AK scope mount and see if it has enough adjustment in it to hit point of aim. I am afraid though that it does not have enough adjustment in the scope to work.

I any case, I need reliable and sturdy iron sights. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

I think you've found the biggest weakness in this platform :(

RonSwin used a pipe bender to get his close enough. Did it at a range, so they could check progress. Took all the umph that he and a few helpers could muster to make the adjustment.

If you don't mind going the optical route I believe you could use shims to add to the adjustment that they can give.

Also, maybe take a friend who's a trusted shot to make sure you don't have a flinch or technique issue, tho a flinch would be rare as you are high not low.

I had a shotgun that was low beyond adjustment. I've used a Kobra to get me there. Also added a Russian front sight and the rear prongs that gets me close enough for bird shot.

Optics are a great cure. Who needs irons when you got an HUD? :smoke:

That being said, I don't trust a gun without irons. Batteries can fail, and then what??? I'd suggest that you play with different sight set-ups -- use different rear sight ramps and try different front site blocks. I believe there's a difference in height between the different front sights offered (Krebs, RusMil, etc.) and if need be you can always add extra height to the front sight post.

Goodluck!

My 19" S-12 was shooting slugs high and I could compensate by aiming low. But now I have shortened the barrel a little and welded on a Polychoke. Now the S-12 is really shooting high. I raised the front sight some but still not in the ball park. Slugs are hitting about 3-4 feed high at 100 yds.

My next test is going to be to mount a Trijicon reflex sight on a AK scope mount and see if it has enough adjustment in it to hit point of aim. I am afraid though that it does not have enough adjustment in the scope to work.

I any case, I need reliable and sturdy iron sights. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

I have the same problem (though different cause) I have a Rusmilitary flash hider and a mauser rear sight with elevation but even at its lowest it shoots way too high. My solution was to make another front sight with more thread so I could raise the front sight enough but that does mean the sight blade is higher than the protecting wings. Wouldn't work with optics of course but is fine with iron sights.

post-1223-1176215284_thumb.jpg

I think you've found the biggest weakness in this platform :(

RonSwin used a pipe bender to get his close enough. Did it at a range, so they could check progress. Took all the umph that he and a few helpers could muster to make the adjustment.

And this is exactly how fine sporting shotguns are done. It is called springing the barrel. It is a problem with the gas system of the Saiga design. But do-able.

I also had the Rusmil fron sight base and flash hider setup on my S-20. When I did the RSB conversion, the sight was too low and it shot high. I had to chop an FSB from a romanian kit that I had, chop off the rusmil FSB, then weld on the Romanian FSB to raise the front sight.

• 1 month later...