Where did all dem 20.5 inch barrels saiga went?

After talking to many people, I have decided to go with the Saiga 223. However, it seems that 20.5 inch barrel models have dissappeared. Nobody seems to have them. What's up with that?

How come? I would think that 4 inches of barrel lenghts would improve the ballistics greatly, adding about 150fps velocity. My other question is this: are there "heavy target" aftermarket barrels available for Saiga 223?

I presume that installing a heavy barrel would improve accuracy as well, and for about 500 bucks I would have a rifle easily as accurate as Kel Tec/AR15/AR180, which is more reliable too.

Thank you

D

Accuracy is greatly depend on the shooter. Saiga .223 is as accurate or more as the Kel Tec/AR15/AR180. Remember, don't let the inexpensive price fool you. Saigas are made in Russia and labor is cheap and that is why the rifle is inexpensive. Kel Tec/AR15/AR180 are made in USA, and that is why the price is so high.

Accuracy is greatly depend on the shooter. Saiga .223 is as accurate or more as the Kel Tec/AR15/AR180. Remember, don't let the inexpensive price fool you. Saigas are made in Russia and labor is cheap and that is why the rifle is inexpensive. Kel Tec/AR15/AR180 are made in USA, and that is why the price is so high.

Of course, no rifle will give you a good accuracy if you can't shoot worth crap. The reason that I want a 20.5 inch barrel is that it gives you a better ballistics. The reason I want a "heavy target barrel" is that I want it to be more accurate, basically get the best accuracy I can get from the AK based system, and also try to avoid a heating problem. I have red that SAIGA has a "thin barrel which overheats quickly", as opposed to an HB versions of AR15. Frankly, I know that AR180B is as good in accuracy as AR15, the only difference in price is that AR15 is considered "cool" because it is in use by the Army, and AR180B isn't.

After talking to many people, I have decided to go with the Saiga 223. However, it seems that 20.5 inch barrel models have dissappeared. Nobody seems to have them.

Last I checked Gilberts Guns had every model except the 19in S-12. If you're shopping for one you may want to give them a call. 1-877-YES-Guns They carry almost everything, stocks, mounts, all factory mags and 10rd S-12 mags (which sold out quick).

My 223 dream collection. This is a collection of rifles in 223 that I would LOVE to get, of course, it is a realistic connection, so more rare rifles are not on the list:

1. V-93. I am a HUGE fan of HK/CETME delayed blowback system. It is inherently accurate and reliable.

2. Norinco AK in 223. Why bother with Bulgarian rifles. They cost twice as much and they remain the same thing: 16 inch barrel, stamped receiver.

3. AR-180B. After much thought, between AR10, Su16 and AR180B the latter won due to better feedback from users. I still will change the stock to be: monte carlo style, since I like it better then pistol.

4. Saiga 223. Though with 20.5 inch barrel only. Inherently less accurate and sturdy then any of the above system, Saiga needs a longer barrel for improved ballistics.

Four rifles:-) Four dreams

Well I found a source, and for a minute considered not sharing it at all. I still haven't got the 20" .223 I so desperately want, but I guess I'll share, this site has certainly given it's information freely to me. Arms of America They're asking 300$ for the rifle, which is lousy compared to the 255$ with shipping included that I had seen, and which has since evaporated. I feel like time is drawing near to buy what you want in the next month or two, before the hammer comes down on all of us in the wake of this tragedy. Some politicians will wallow in bloodshed if it means a few more votes, and only the law abiding citizens of this nation will suffer.

• 3 months later...
Well I found a source, and for a minute considered not sharing it at all. I still haven't got the 20" .223 I so desperately want, but I guess I'll share, this site has certainly given it's information freely to me. Arms of America They're asking 300$ for the rifle, which is lousy compared to the 255$ with shipping included that I had seen, and which has since evaporated. I feel like time is drawing near to buy what you want in the next month or two, before the hammer comes down on all of us in the wake of this tragedy. Some politicians will wallow in bloodshed if it means a few more votes, and only the law abiding citizens of this nation will suffer.

Old thread btw.. :)

It's kind of ironic..

The only saiga .223's allowed in Norway is the 52cm = 20,5" barrels.. :)

So mine is, of course, a 20,5".

We have standard pistolgrip, and muzzlebrake (ak74).

But we are stuck with 10rd here as well.

The accuracy is exellent, and can be compared to an AR.

Old thread btw.. :)

It's kind of ironic..

The only saiga .223's allowed in Norway is the 52cm = 20,5" barrels.. :)

So mine is, of course, a 20,5".

We have standard pistolgrip, and muzzlebrake (ak74).

But we are stuck with 10rd here as well.

The accuracy is exellent, and can be compared to an AR.

That sucks they won't allow the 16 inch versions there (or allow you to have larger mags!) But, at least you get the rifle in a more 'pristine' condition than the ones we get here.

That sucks they won't allow the 16 inch versions there (or allow you to have larger mags!) But, at least you get the rifle in a more 'pristine' condition than the ones we get here.

We have no restictions on mags, I have ordered two 30rd orlites from england.. :)

18,5" are the limit of the barrel, but we're only allowed purchasing these rifles for IPSC shooting.

We're not allowed to use the Saigas for hunting :(

Here are at least some pics of the "norwegian" std. saigas.. :)

In this case, my saiga .223 and my pretty P22 are posing. :P

DSC00914.jpg

DSC00913.jpg

DSC00915.jpg

Edited by Methano

We have no restictions on mags, I have ordered two 30rd orlites from england.. :)

18,5" are the limit of the barrel, but we're only allowed purchasing these rifles for IPSC shooting.

We're not allowed to use the Saigas for hunting :(

Here are at least some pics of the "norwegian" std. saigas.. :)

In this case, my saiga .223 and my pretty P22 are posing. :P

DSC00914.jpg

DSC00913.jpg

DSC00915.jpg

Very nice!

• 2 months later...
Hey.

Here's some clips of my 20.5 inch saiga in action.

It was at an IPSC match in september here in Norway..

I'm at 1:32 and 2:33min..

(and yes; I'm a n00b) :)

Enjoy.. :)

Nice! (Everybody looked kinda cold, though!? :haha: )

Which shooter were you?

Thanks!

Bill

Edited by BillTX

p7280088xu4.jpg

p7280092fv3.jpg

p7290098kx2.jpg

fullpkasfixedmz4.jpg

allyugoyu4hc9.jpg

This was a while back.

Rifle is modified to take unmodified Bulgarian, Polish, and Yugoslavian 5.56 mags.

Drum is a 120 round AR-15 drum with a SAR-3 mag top, shown just mocked up.

All of the extra holes in the receiver have been filled.

Next up, barrel work.

I have Plum K-VAR handgaurds and pistol grip for it and some converted plum AK74 mags. (Bulgy 5.56 waffles will still be the goto mags though)

I'd like to find a Yugo front sight base with a tube type flip up night sight,

I'm not sure how long the barrel will be when I'm done.

Edited by Aloxite