I've got a stupid question

I've got my S-12 conversion done and need to install the pin retainer clip or the wire. Both require the safety lever to go thru the hole to lock it in place.

I can't get the safety out with the bolt-hold-open in the way and I can't get the bolt-hold-open out of the way without taking everything else back apart. And it was kinda a PITA to get it all together the several times I had to do it and I'd rather not have to do it again.

I used the clip the first time and punched the hammer pin thru it and that locked it all together with no way to get it apart. That was fine until I noticed my disconnector spring had somehow fallen out.

I had to dremel the clip in two to get it back apart.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I got the wire retainer but was too stupid to figure out how it locked both pins so I made my own retainers out of paper clips. It worked just fine maybe even a little better because I could shape them easy to grab with pliers. Shouldn't you be able to just pull any type of clip off?

I got the wire retainer but was too stupid to figure out how it locked both pins so I made my own retainers out of paper clips. It worked just fine maybe even a little better because I could shape them easy to grab with pliers. Shouldn't you be able to just pull any type of clip off?

E-clips snap around the pins and lock on thus preventing them from coming off on their own. They can be removed with a needle nose if necessary.

The shepard's crook replacement plates suck on the S-12. I recommend the much cheaper and easier to install wire retainers that DPH sells. I'm referrind to the L shaped ones. I make my own out the factory retainer springs. There's a link in the tech section to how I do this. I wouldn't recommend using a paper clip because it's not spring steel and could bend and come loose.

With the plates I always have to grind the top off so it will clear the bolt carrier and also have to enlarge the hole for the selector to go thru.

E clips work ok but are a little hard to get to IMO.

The shepard's crook replacement plates suck on the S-12. I recommend the much cheaper and easier to install wire retainers that DPH sells. I'm referrind to the L shaped ones. I make my own out the factory retainer springs. There's a link in the tech section to how I do this. I wouldn't recommend using a paper clip because it's not spring steel and could bend and come loose.

With the plates I always have to grind the top off so it will clear the bolt carrier and also have to enlarge the hole for the selector to go thru.

E clips work ok but are a little hard to get to IMO.

What are E clips and where can I buy some?

Yep. My buddy that works at Homer depot got me some and they look like they will do the trick.

After I sandblast it and spray-and-bake a nice flat black finish and post a picture for you guys to drool over, I'll take it to the range and see how they hold up.