• 2 weeks later...
Seems to me that a light handy .44 hi-cap carbine would be a great seller. Lot's of punch in a small package. Anybody heard of such a thing? (other than Ruger's)

Not in .44 mag, but my wife's uncle has some beast of a gun he picked up that is a 10mm semi-auto hi-cap mag side feed, damn thing is technically a pistol but i they made a carbine version as well.

to look at it, you would think is was some sort of bastardized M1 Carbine cut down to a pistol....except for that side mounted mag.....

Might consider Taurus, i think they are making a .44 mag pump gun now....and a .357.....i'm intersted in the .357 to go with my GP100. I'm trying to have more than one gun to share a single ammo supply.

I made one M1 Carbine in 10mm Magnum and one in .502 Thunder Sabre, but neither were high capacity.

I also made 4ea AR-15's in 44 Remington Magnum as well as one in 44 AutoMag and one in .357 AutoMag. But again, they did not have high capacity mags. The prototype 44 Rem Mag was featured in Gun World Magazine, April of 2001, where David Fortier fired a sub-MOA group with it as well as shot a nice buck. I shot a couple of hogs with the gun, and now my father has it in California. Luckily, he has a pre-Cal-ban registered AR receiver to run it on.

Tony

Had an M1 carbine made up in 357 Auto Mag some years ago. Was an easy conversion. Rebored the stock barrel. Opened the bolt face. Extractors from the Vulcan 44 mag carbine worked perfectly or the stock one can be modified. The 15 round mags held 7 rounds and the 30 round mags held 14. No mods were necessary to the mags. Clymer made me a reamer. Loads had to be reduced 10 per cent from the listed maximums but I could get 2000 fps from a 158 grain bullet. Thats a useful increase. The downside was the brass. Takes a lot of time to make from 308 size cases. Reforming 44 Auto Mag cases is the way to go if you can get them. The Vulcan carbine was a pump version of the M1 carbine from Universal in 44 mag. Wasnt high cap. Plastic mag holding 4 rounds. You could get one of those and convert it to 44 Auto Mag. Then you could have a 14 shot pump. There are some 40 round magazines for the M1 carbine out there that might work and would hold more rounds.

More than 4 shots in a 44 Rem mag carbine, yeah I could go for that. But I'm not sure I'd want to be throwing quantities of 44 Rem mag downrange at current prices. 7.62x39mm has longer range and is less expensive. 357 might be a different story.

If someone made a 44 Rem mag carbine with various mag sizes, that would be great and I would get my hands on a big mag or two. But if it was more feasible to make a lower capacity carbine, say with a tubular mag, I'd go for that. 5-10 rounds of 44 would do it for me.

Actually, since my state doesn't allow hunting with semi-autos, I'd love a tube fed 44 pump. If Remington did a corresponding pump and auto like the 7600 and 7400 but with a tubular mag in 44 Rem Mag and 357, I think that would be win-win for everyone.

Edited by BattleRifleG3
More than 4 shots in a 44 Rem mag carbine, yeah I could go for that. But I'm not sure I'd want to be throwing quantities of 44 Rem mag downrange at current prices. 7.62x39mm has longer range and is less expensive. 357 might be a different story.

If someone made a 44 Rem mag carbine with various mag sizes, that would be great and I would get my hands on a big mag or two. But if it was more feasible to make a lower capacity carbine, say with a tubular mag, I'd go for that. 5-10 rounds of 44 would do it for me.

Actually, since my state doesn't allow hunting with semi-autos, I'd love a tube fed 44 pump. If Remington did a corresponding pump and auto like the 7600 and 7400 but with a tubular mag in 44 Rem Mag and 357, I think that would be win-win for everyone.

might want to chekc the taurus website.....they came out with a 357/38 pump already (at least i think it was taurus....), maybe a 44 is on the way?

would be cool.

I'm somewhat aware of those, but would really prefer something closer to a modern shotgun style. Maybe I'm too picky. Will have to check them out for sure.

Agreed,

something like a Rem 870 mechanism for .44 mag or .357/.38 would be great!....seems to me that is a proven system, just scale it down a bit....

The Rem 870 in 410 would be a good platform, but would need a stronger bolt lockup mechanism. Since a 44 Rem mag is shorter than the 410, perhaps they'd have a rotating bolt protrude from the front like the 7600. Could call it the 7644, or the 844. But keep the tubular mag.