While I like the stock stock (eh?) OK, I REALLY like this one that ATI sells:

http://www.atigunstocks.com/product-AK.html

Of course, this brings me (newbie) to a few questions that confuse and scare me.

One, me taking to my new (even though it is cheap) gun with dremels and drills and files, etc is sort of like building my own car and then taking it on the freeway... not smart. I'm not comfortable/qualified to mill and chop and dice, etc.

So: I'm hoping that there is an aftermarket stock that will fit my 223. I mean looking at the butt, it looks like 2 or 3 screws and I can put SOMETHING in it's place. It looks simpler than a Mossberg to change out.

Anyways, does anyone know of an idiot friendly stock for sale that is like the one from ati (I think it's called "skeletonized"... I don't care about the folder, just because I don't believe that it will be a stable or consistant shooting platform (but I am a newbie)...

Which leads me to the scared part... does changing the stock make me a felon? I keep reading about this 10 part or 7 part or 15 part requirement act 9xx something or other prison/anal rape/ and so on....

I like guns. I don't want to be stuck in a bad remake of Oz.

Tips appreciated.

While I like the stock stock (eh?) OK, I REALLY like this one that ATI sells:

http://www.atigunstocks.com/product-AK.html

Of course, this brings me (newbie) to a few questions that confuse and scare me.

One, me taking to my new (even though it is cheap) gun with dremels and drills and files, etc is sort of like building my own car and then taking it on the freeway... not smart. I'm not comfortable/qualified to mill and chop and dice, etc.

So: I'm hoping that there is an aftermarket stock that will fit my 223. I mean looking at the butt, it looks like 2 or 3 screws and I can put SOMETHING in it's place. It looks simpler than a Mossberg to change out.

Anyways, does anyone know of an idiot friendly stock for sale that is like the one from ati (I think it's called "skeletonized"... I don't care about the folder, just because I don't believe that it will be a stable or consistant shooting platform (but I am a newbie)...

Which leads me to the scared part... does changing the stock make me a felon? I keep reading about this 10 part or 7 part or 15 part requirement act 9xx something or other prison/anal rape/ and so on....

I like guns. I don't want to be stuck in a bad remake of Oz.

Tips appreciated.

Choate stock is better IMHO. Takes all of 3 minutes to make it work w/ the saiga receiver.

Regardless if you got ATI, choate, etc. you'll need to relocate the trigger group (G2 FCG is ~40$), and it will require drilling/dremel work. You aren't going to screw anything up, I wouldn't put it anywhere near the same league as building a kit car ;)

003376.medium.jpg

The skeleton stock is currently being imported on saiga rifles (223 and 308) and is sold seperately for existing saiga rifles. The folding stock from Izhsmash is NOT being imported on saigas and would NOT be legal to add to an existing saiga without more US parts. Either stock though will go right on a saiga with no modification.

I would suggest using the Choate stock also. I did. It is superior to the ATI in that it has an integral recoil pad and feels more substantial. You will need to do the conversion though. It will give you 5 compliance parts right off the bat.

Believe me, it is not that hard. I was apprehensive at the start but with minimal tools, it goes pretty quickly. The improved trigger action is well worth the effort.

You will need a Dremel type tool. The most basic will do. A set of Cobalt drills is also a must.

Spend a few hours reading about the trials and tribulations of previous converters and you will avoid most of the pitfalls.

Edited by pogy

The one he linked to said it would fit either, which sounds weird since as you pointed out, they aren't the same shape. I got one for stamped and it fit my S-308 fine. Got it from Centerfire Systems who I think also owns ATI. Most people say the Choate is better but I like mine just fine.

med_gallery_128_24_219754.jpg

The one he linked to said it would fit either, which sounds weird since as you pointed out, they aren't the same shape. I got one for stamped and it fit my S-308 fine. Got it from Centerfire Systems who I think also owns ATI. Most people say the Choate is better but I like mine just fine.

med_gallery_128_24_219754.jpg

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the weapon in the center of the pic?

Its an American made HK91 called the PTR-91, made by JLD. It is the best HK clone on the market. Mine was made from NEW G3 parts and an American heavy barrel on a JLD receiver, got it from Atlantic Firearms. I just added the claw mount, bipod, carry handle, and cheek rest. :up: If they made other HK models I'd probably buy them all after handling this one.

So the skeletonized stock from gilbertsguns doesn't require moving the trigger group (whatever that is)...

I know I'm a puss, guys, but I'm REALLY not wanting to piss with the gun. I mean it's a sub 300 dollar rifle, but I work hard for that money and if I were to muck it up, it would be a loss to me.

Anyways, I really appreciate everyone's comments and help. I'm just VERY daunted at the prospect at cutting on my gun and screwing it up.

One thing I notice with the factory config, is how front heavy that bastard is... it reminds me of my Mossberg 500... I'm tempted to stuff some counterweight into it or something....

Anyway, thanks again.

003376.medium.jpg

The skeleton stock is currently being imported on saiga rifles (223 and 308) and is sold seperately for existing saiga rifles. The folding stock from Izhsmash is NOT being imported on saigas and would NOT be legal to add to an existing saiga without more US parts. Either stock though will go right on a saiga with no modification.

So the skeletonized stock from gilbertsguns doesn't require moving the trigger group (whatever that is)...

I know I'm a puss, guys, but I'm REALLY not wanting to piss with the gun. I mean it's a sub 300 dollar rifle, but I work hard for that money and if I were to muck it up, it would be a loss to me.

Anyways, I really appreciate everyone's comments and help. I'm just VERY daunted at the prospect at cutting on my gun and screwing it up.

One thing I notice with the factory config, is how front heavy that bastard is... it reminds me of my Mossberg 500... I'm tempted to stuff some counterweight into it or something....

Anyway, thanks again.

There is little to "screw up" on a AK. You are only modifying new parts to fit -- even if you messed them up, you haven't modified the workings of the original parts or firearm. We aren't talking about gunsmithing here, this is simple stuff. I have little firearm experience, yet I've already replaced the FCG, stock (3 of them), modified the hand guards, removed the FSB and camo'd the rifle ;)

IMHO, you aren't going to be happy w/ the saiga skeletonized stock (for US imports) -- it's rather short, and the trigger is still in a bad spot (awkward for me). But hey, maybe you will be -- you can always sell it if you don't end up liking it.

Edited by MadMaxx

Well, maybe I'll "cowboy up" eventually...

Anyway, thanks again.

There is little to "screw up" on a AK. You are only modifying new parts to fit -- even if you messed them up, you haven't modified the workings of the original parts or firearm. We aren't talking about gunsmithing here, this is simple stuff. I have little firearm experience, yet I've already replaced the FCG, stock (3 of them), modified the hand guards, removed the FSB and camo'd the rifle ;)

IMHO, you aren't going to be happy w/ the saiga skeletonized stock (for US imports) -- it's rather short, and the trigger is still in a bad spot (awkward for me). But hey, maybe you will be -- you can always sell it if you don't end up liking it.

Right, you just unscrew the existing stock and replace it with the new one. The old stock my need some hammer tapping to work it off, but if you can operate a screw driver this stock will work. Its a popular replacememnt stock for those that don't want to do a PG conversion.

If you're dead set against making internal changes consider the following. BRG3, a much respected member here can make you a US made forarm and buttstock for your rifle, they would be as easy to install as the choate stock, and of much higher quality and appearance. Then use only US made magazines. The 3 magazine parts and the 2 stock parts will bring you into compliance. You will still need to either A. add a bullet guide to your trunion or have gunsmith do it for you or B. modify your magazines to include a feedramp. Both are quite dooable without technical skill or experience. The advantage of adding ramps to your magazines is twofold, 1: if you screw up, its a 10$ magazine not a 300$ gun, and 2: unmodified magazines will not work, keeping you honnest with your compliance parts count. BRG3's stock sets can be viewed here: BRG3 Thread . A USA made magazine will run you between 10$ and 20$ somthing dollars each, USA brand mags are steel and avaliable in many capacities for 7.62x39, promag makes polymer 30 rounders for 7.62x39, .223 and now 5.45x39. A member named Dinzag supplies bullet guides and instructions as well as other unique parts and services. hope this helps.

Edited by JK-47
  • 3 weeks later...

Right, you just unscrew the existing stock and replace it with the new one. The old stock my need some hammer tapping to work it off, but if you can operate a screw driver this stock will work. Its a popular replacememnt stock for those that don't want to do a PG conversion.

Ok, bear in mind that I have almost NO mechanical aptitude, but...

I'm trying to put a gilberts guns ATI skeleton stock on my 21" saiga .308, however, the damn standard sporter synth stock doesn't want to come off. I have removed the two visible screws on the standard stock, one on top and one underneath.

It's like it's glued on there. How hard to I have to "whack" the thing to get it off (man, that sounded wrong)? Is there a screw or other attachment I missed?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to put a gilberts guns ATI skeleton stock on my 21" saiga .308, however, the damn standard sporter synth stock doesn't want to come off. I have removed the two visible screws on the standard stock, one on top and one underneath.

It's like it's glued on there. How hard to I have to "whack" the thing to get it off (man, that sounded wrong)? Is there a screw or other attachment I missed?

Assuming your .308 is like a .223 there is a third screw on top just inside the top cover under where the recoil spring keeper goes.

Assuming your .308 is like a .223 there is a third screw on top just inside the top cover under where the recoil spring keeper goes.

Bingo, you were 100% correct. Third screw removed and the stock just popped off with a little persuasion.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...