Apparently, twenty-two people killed, including the gunman, and twenty eight wounded at Virginia Tech. This story just came out so I expect the casualty numbers to change. Another nut job ruining the reputation of gun owners! Pray for the victims and their families. Breaking news on MSNBC.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is it that make some people snap? If I have a horrible day, I go to the gym, I'll order a pizza, or I'll sit in my shower and meditate. Why do some people go unload on a bunch of innocents? I hope there is a hell just for people like these shooters.

I have a bit more info than the news wait till you hear exactly what happened. Wish I could scoop the media but can't. One of my Co-workers has a son there.

Edited by topmaul
I don't know what is worse. People that flip and go on murder sprees or myself when I hear the news about another school shooting and just shrug and start worrying about moronic reactionary anti-gun laws being passed.

You know, I thought the same thing, but in the end one of those behaviors is rational, if not slightly cold, while the other is completely irrational and utterly despicable.

I don't know what is worse. People that flip and go on murder sprees or myself when I hear the news about another school shooting and just shrug and start worrying about moronic reactionary anti-gun laws being passed.

You know, I thought the same thing, but in the end one of those behaviors is rational, if not slightly cold, while the other is completely irrational and utterly despicable.

This is an awful event in so many ways.....obviously the lives lost, but also the family members whose lives have been shattered, you have to feel for them. awful for the nation as this will be used against the rights of the law abiding.....

I'm sure we'll find out soon what was used, and then all cringe in our own ways as we see our rights further asailed.....

Not to be callous, or try to politicise this emense tragedy... but everytime this happens it sharpens the spearhead of the antigunners. I'm sure that with this massacre will come a wave of antigun sentiment from all the usual suspects, Diane Feinstein and the entirety of her miserable, self serving crew. They will capitalize on this event to their own ends, and people struck by the tragedy and the immense, senseless loss will distract the average citizen from seeing what is really occouring. Politicians cashing in on the pain and inconsoleable loss of people, who are the most vulnerable. Preying on the grieving and the deeply distraught is among lowest and basest things a human being can do to one annother. My heart goes out to the victims families and friends. I hope through our shared grief we can all offer them the support and respect they deserve, and never be compelled to see tragedy as opportunity.

Edited by JK-47

Let's not forget H.R. 1022 lurking in committee. What do you bet that someone will use this tragedy as a means to fast track that bill.

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws and the government (whoops, I just repeated myself) will have guns; and that ain't good!

(I hope Tony is working over time to beat the ban! I have one that should be about 45 days away from completion.)

He did all that damage with 9mm???? I was betting AK or SKS for sure. What other round does that much damage? 7.62 is lethal with 1 round, and 2 30 round magazines and you'd reach the dead/injured count. 9mm must've taken multiple shots to a few people and therefore countless reloads.

I hear about this and think about how nice it would be to be able to carry on campus. I feel like a fish in a barrel every time I step foot on school property.

Anyone see this one in the headlines? What makes this story different?

Armed students end rampage, prevent further injuries

Originally ran here as:

"Va. gunman tells judge he is sick"

by MSNBC.com's Alex Johnson, and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

MSNBC.com

January 17, 2002

GRUNDY, VIRGINIA -- A former law student who is accused of killing his dean, a law professor and another student told a judge Thursday that he is sick and needs help.

PETER ODIGHIZUWA shuffled into Buchanan County General District Court in leg chains, surrounded by police officers.

Hiding his face behind his green arrest warrant, Odighizuwa told Judge Patrick Johnson, "I was supposed to see my doctor. He was supposed to help me out. ... I don't have my medication."

Odighizuwa, a 43-year-old naturalized U.S. citizen from Nigeria, went to the Appalachian School of Law on Wednesday to talk to his dean, L. Anthony Sutin, about Odighizuwa's dismissal for failing grades, officials said. He shot Sutin and professor Thomas Blackwell, who taught Odighizuwa's contracts classes, with a .380-caliber pistol, authorities and students said.

Also killed was student Angela Dales, 33, said State Police spokesman Mike Stater. Three other students were injured and were hospitalized in fair condition.

Prosecutors charged Odighizuwa with three counts of capital murder, three counts of attempted capital murder and six charges for use of a firearm in a felony.

A few minutes before his arraignment, Odighizuwa told reporters as he was led into the courtroom, "I was sick, I was sick. I need help."

When Johnson said he would appoint lawyer James C. Turk Jr. to represent him, Odighizuwa asked for another attorney. But Johnson appointed Turk and said, "Once you've talked with him, I'm sure you'll see he can help you."

Odighizuwa will remain held without bond pending a preliminary hearing March 21.

STUDENT INTERVENTION

Students ended the rampage by confronting and then tackling the gunman, officials said.

"We saw the shooter, stopped at my vehicle and got out my handgun and started to approach Peter," Tracy Bridges, who helped subdue the shooter with other students, said Thursday on NBC's "Today" show. "At that time, Peter threw up his hands and threw his weapon down. Ted was the first person to have contact with Peter, and Peter hit him one time in the face, so there was a little bit of a struggle there."

The suspect, known on the rural campus as "Peter O.," had been struggling with his grades for more than a year and had been dismissed once before.

Chris Clifton, the school's financial aid officer, met with Odighizuwa on Tuesday. "He was angry. He thought he was being treated unfairly, and he wanted to see his transcript," said Clifton.

"I don't think Peter knew at this time that it (his dismissal) was going to be permanent and final," Clifton added.

NEW LAW SCHOOL

The private law school has an enrollment of about 170 students. It opened five years ago in a renovated junior high school to help ease a shortage of lawyers in the region and foster renewal in Appalachia.

Sutin, a 1984 graduate of Harvard Law School, also was an associate professor at the school. He left the Justice Department to help found the school. Previously, he had worked for the Democratic National Committee and Bill Clinton's 1992 presidential campaign, according to the Web site of Jurist, the Legal Education Network.

Attorney General John Ashcroft issued a statement expressing his condolences to Sutin's wife and their two children

Former Attorney General Janet Reno called Sutin (pronounced Sutton) "not only a former colleague but a friend" and "an incredibly kind, exceptionally bright and intensely dedicated public servant who was committed to bettering the welfare of all Americans."

"It's real shocking right now," said Bridges. "Dean Sutin had children and everyone's worried about that. It seems kind of surreal right now.

He did all that damage with 9mm???? I was betting AK or SKS for sure. What other round does that much damage? 7.62 is lethal with 1 round, and 2 30 round magazines and you'd reach the dead/injured count. 9mm must've taken multiple shots to a few people and therefore countless reloads.

I hear about this and think about how nice it would be to be able to carry on campus. I feel like a fish in a barrel every time I step foot on school property.

9mm is much more potent than most people think...

9mm is much more potent than most people think...

Ya know I've yet to find anybody who likes to get shot by anything other than a paintball...so the whole "enough" when it comes to caliber is real debatable in my mind

I've read that when the shooter entered the engineering building he chained shut the main doors behind him. This allowed plenty of time to do the damage. What a loser asshole. This incident should be a primer on why civilians should have guns more readily available, but it will definitely not play out like that. I'll bet Pelosi is in a frenzy right now. My deepest sympathy to all those more directly affected by this crime.

What a coward!!! Anyone can walk into a school and start shooting unarmed kids. Easy targets. This type of thing wouldn't go that far if someone walked into firing range and started shooting people. It would be over in seconds. Kids in schools are easy targets for a cowards because guns are not permitted there and that's is where everyother coward in the future will go. At the very least, today if there was an instructer with a carry permit this would have ended differently. Instead, let's blame the guns or make a point that the AWB sunsetted and hi-cap mags are out there again. Fools.

exactly. if everybody had a FUCKING GUN, this bullshit wouldnt happen.

THIS IS WHAT THE RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS WAS PUT THERE FOR IN THE FIRST PLACE, AND IT STATES IT CLEARLY. SO AT LEAST THE FUCKING EMPLOYEES OF THE FUCKING SCHOOL COULD HAVE SHOT THE FUCKING IDIOT.

That sucks. In Kentucky you can carry almost everywhere, including Universities; although you can still be expelled under the university's policy if you're discovered. And I also see in NC you can't carry if consuming alcohol or at a public function which charged admission or any location that has posted a sign saying its prohibited? Wow...

HOLY SHIT! I read the statutes as soon as I came to law school at UK, but I totally glossed over the "shall not apply to post-secondary schools." I was so used to NC's over-protective crap I just figured it'd be illegal. I gotta review the student rules, but that gives me some hope. Thanks!

i hear it was a 9mm and a .22, but that is probably out of date info. either way, i'm amazed he did all that damage with handguns. if he entered rooms etc, you'd expect a few people to band up and pin him as he enters or throw something at him and then try to subdue him. that's what i'd try to do anyway. better to die trying to stop the mofo than dying cowering in a corner.

i'm personally not a fan of concealed carry, not for Belgium anyway. it isn't part of our culture really. besides, we don't need it here and certainly not in our schools.

but if i were an american, i'd sure as hell consider it...

Edited by SuA
i'm personally not a fan of concealed carry, not for Belgium anyway. it isn't part of our culture really. besides, we don't need it here and certainly not in our schools.

but if i were an american, i'd sure as hell consider it...

I doubt you'll be singing that tune ten years from now. :rolleyes:

These poor students had no warning. Many if not most were uninformed of the threat. They heard mysterious LOUD sounds and screams and seconds thereafter a determined mass murderer was upon them. None of us could have responded much differently in their place, save if we had broken the law and kept some defensive means concealed in our waistband or pocket or lined our backpacks with kevlar. There are fire alarms in every school, and disaster warnings broadcast on every station when a hurricane or tornado approaches. There was no warning sent to these innocent children, and the institutions that should have their saftey as a priority failed them all. We can't expect police to be everywhere at once, so we need to make new provisions for a students IMMEDIATE SAFTEY. The fire department can't be there in time to extinguish the match that sets the blaze- just the raging fire that proceedes it, why should violence be seen differently? EVERY ONE OF THOSE VICTIMS HAD THE RIGHT TO DEFEND THEMSELVES, AND NONE HAD THE MEANS. Every last victimized child had the right, if not the obligation to use whatever was nessicary to retain their own precious life. As a socitiey, and the school as an institution FAILED to provide them with that means, whatever it may have been.