Bougth my first Saiga, can someone clear up something for me?

So, my Saiga will get here soon, and I plan to do three things, Add a muzzle break, add a Russian folding stock and install a bullet guide to use AK magazines, as detailed here, ( http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/step_8.htm )

If you would, could someone instruct me as to which parts I would need to replace to make said modification legal? Also, could I use a USA made trigger group on the Saiga without moving the trigger forward? Would mounting a scope rail, if foreign, count againt the compliance part count?

Thanks

Edited by Nameless_Hobo
If you would, could someone instruct me as to which parts I would need to replace to make said modification legal? Also, could I use a USA made trigger group on the Saiga without moving the trigger forward? Would mounting a scope rail, if foreign, count againt the compliance part count?

Thanks

Hammer and disconnector are possible, not the trigger. #1 & #2

Piston is possible. #3

Muzzle device. #4 (makes the magic number 6)

Without replacing the trigger or stock parts you'll have to go with mag parts.

You are allowed ten of the 'named' rifle parts. Other parts such as scope rails or trigger guards are not relevant.

Chimera, that is not entirely correct. I belive with some modification to the trigger you can add all three parts without moving them into the non-sporter configuration. Inquire with BRG3 I belive he has offered to supply a 3 part FCG for this purpose, or will modify an FCG you supply If you so desire.

So I can get away with it fine if I don't use the muzzle break? That's fine by me, thanks for the assistance.

I don't understand your conclusion.

If you use a muzzle break it should be US made. Otherwise it isn't relevant.

Sigh.........

If you put a folding stock or muzzle break on that rifle, it becomes an assault weapon, and not just any assault weapon, it becomes an imported assault weapon. It can't have any more than TEN FOREIGN PARTS. Bear with me now........

If you put that Russian Folding Stock on there, you actually add a foreign part. Yes I know, all you did was change out the stock, but now it has a STOCK and a PISTOL GRIP, both being foreign. A Saiga has 14 COUNTABLE foreign parts in the sporter configuration and is importable because it is imported as a "sporting rifle". If you add that Russian Folding Stock, you now have 15 foreign parts.

1) You could change out the handguard to an American made one from Tapco - 1 PART

2) You could only use American Made Magazines (promags) - 3 PARTS

3) You could replace the Piston - 1 PART

IMO this is a bad choice. Screw the Russian Folder. Do the whole conversion listed in that link (change out the fire control group) and use whatever mags and US made AK furniture you want. Either that, or break the law and ignore 922R.

For more info on this subject and the law, search these forums for "922R".

How many points does it count to do the magazine modification?

I'm thinking about just leaving the factory stock on, or carving a wooden one myself, and installing a muzzle break and the magazine modification, then just leaving it as it is.

I know I'm getting annoying by now, but, this is my first "assault rifle" and I really don't know where I want to go with it at this time; I still thank you for your assistance.

Edited by Nameless_Hobo

The Saiga is importable because it is sporter rifle. If you put a muzzle break on it then it becomes an Assault Weapon and it can't have more than 10 foreign parts. If you place a high capacity (more than 10 rounds) magazine into a Saiga, it becaomes an assault weapon and can have no more than 10 Foreign parts. If you put a folding stock on a Saiga, it becomes an assault weapon and can have no more than 10 foreign parts. If you put a pistol grip on a Saiga, it becomes and assault weapon and it can have no more than 10 foreign parts.

922R is an unconstituional law, but it is upheld by the BATF. They have enforced it in the past, mainly just to lump charges on someone who already had other more serious charges. Still, if you want to keep your rifle legal, the best way is to just bite the bullet and do the conversion / retro-fit.