Leupold Scopes

I have a rare opportunity to purchase any one Leupold Scope at well below cost. I don't have anything except my .308 that could realistically benefit from a scope but am not sure what size/model would be the best. I was looking at some of the POSPs because they seemed like the right thing to do, but with this deal available I don't know now. Can you all help with some experience and advice. Is anything more than a 3-9x40 really going to be helpful on my 16" .308? If so, how big would really be beneficial? Any models of Leupold stuff you like or hate? I honestly don't know whether I care about shooting 100 yrds, 200 yrds or ??

I should mention that this baby will be shot rarely and is more of a "if I ever need it" weapon purchased so I had one before (if) they were ever banned. I don't hunt but would use this if I ever needed to. In other words I don't want to spend as much on the scope as I did on the weapon!

THANKS in advance, Scott

I have a rare opportunity to purchase any one Leupold Scope at well below cost. I don't have anything except my .308 that could realistically benefit from a scope but am not sure what size/model would be the best. I was looking at some of the POSPs because they seemed like the right thing to do, but with this deal available I don't know now. Can you all help with some experience and advice. Is anything more than a 3-9x40 really going to be helpful on my 16" .308? If so, how big would really be beneficial? Any models of Leupold stuff you like or hate? I honestly don't know whether I care about shooting 100 yrds, 200 yrds or ??

I should mention that this baby will be shot rarely and is more of a "if I ever need it" weapon purchased so I had one before (if) they were ever banned. I don't hunt but would use this if I ever needed to. In other words I don't want to spend as much on the scope as I did on the weapon!

THANKS in advance, Scott

I'd get a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x4 M1 with Illuminated Reticle, but that's just me.

Mark4_3_5-10x40_LRT_M1IR_XL.gif

http://www.leupold.com/products/tactical_p...m_LRT_M1_IR.htm

THANKS in advance, Scott

a 3-9x40 should be fine. Just make sure it is a true Leupold. There are some Chinese copies floating around. There has been a flood of them on ebay.

a 3-9x40 should be fine. Just make sure it is a true Leupold. There are some Chinese copies floating around. There has been a flood of them on ebay.

Thanks to all for the advice so far - give me more!!!!

I am not too worried about it being a Chinese copy as it will be coming directly from Leupold's corporate offices where both wifey and I used to work (many many moons ago).

-Scott

I have the 3-9x50 on my browning, and I like it alot. It is an older vxII, so I imagine a ton of improvements have been made since. I can hit a two inch target consistently at 150 yards, and I could take a confident vital shot at 300. Just my 2 cents.

Is your 308 unconverted? You have to consider the eye relief for the longer standard stock. I got a shotgun scope because the eye relief was 5 inches which allows a good cheek weld with a low mount. I like the shotgun scopes for what might become a self defense rifle. The lower power gives a wider field of view and they are supposed to be built stronger for the recoil of a 12 ga slug. Just my .02. My 308-1 16 incher has a 2.5x.

I'd consider a compact scope.... I have a Burris Compact 2-7 with the boone and crocket style marks on my 16in and it rocks.... Not to big and bulky and has generous eye relief. I think you'll like it better that a 50mm objective for sure, just my opinion though. I'll try to post pics if you'd like.

I have leupold's and Zeis scopes on my good bolt action rifles. On one of my AK's, I have an Eotech 552, and the rest have open sights. On my S-308, I have a Burris Fullfield II, 3 x 9 scope and Im very pleased with it. The light transmission is comparable to my other good scopes and it seems rather durable.