MikeD's Saiga-12 20rd Drum Magazine, information thread

Mike,

Please let us early emailers and supporters have a heads up? I'm on board, and will send funds whenever requested.

Hopefully, dealers won't get first dips for dozens of units ahead of us guys that will actually use them. When I take a drum to the next shoot, you'll be getting more orders.

The same thing happened to Tony when I took my 8" Tromix out, he got "envy" orders. LOL

Keep up the good work, and don't worry about your "detractor".

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,

Please let us early emailers and supporters have a heads up? I'm on board, and will send funds whenever requested.

Hopefully, dealers won't get first dips for dozens of units ahead of us guys that will actually use them. When I take a drum to the next shoot, you'll be getting more orders.

The same thing happened to Tony when I took my 8" Tromix out, he got "envy" orders. LOL

he already swore that everyone here gets first crack

I wanted to offer strickly to forum members, untill sales slowed here, before I released to the general public. Makc raised a good point though that people would join just to order one and would never come back.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do this without causeing a flood of unwanted, ghost profiles?

Thanks for responding to my diatribe. Hoping that clears the air of what there is to do.

As to the how to handle orders, I don't know if you can get involved with each order, but my suggestion would be to get a list of the current members, and thier join dates. Just cut the list off at either your first announcement, or today's date, or ???

Ask for the membername on each order that comes in. Keep the list in a spreadsheet, check them off as they order. After the first wave has finished (sales slow) then open it up to anyone (not newer members here so you don't incent the ghost accounts).

Some will say to allow members with x number of posts, but that's too easy to join and post a bunch of

"I agree"

responses to threads to run that up.

If the board can't dump a list of member names and join dates, let me know. I work in data a lot, I might be able to help you compile the list.

thats a stupid idea if ive ever heard one...

the way you need to do orders is just make a website, have a preorder form on the site(of course give s-12.com first notice when the site goes live) and have a running inventory type system of how many preorders are available(like 1000 total preorders, someone orders 10 drums and it shows 990 left) dont do any "ill take X amount" style on a forum, its a nightmare(i know from selling just ak mags, its a complete pain in the ass and there is no control and its hard to limit overselling when you get 25pm's a day)

I never planned to take orders from "I'll take" posts. If you notice I said I "wanted" to be able to offer them strickly to forum members first, but I don't think there is any good way to do it without a lot of extra hassle on my part. More than likely, I will just have to make them avaliable to all. Orders will be placed on a websight like AGP did. You will have the option of credit card or to mail in your payment. The quantitiy avaliable will count down as well.

this wasnt in reference to any posts you made.

Mike,

he already swore that everyone here gets first crack

What I've been thinking is if I my preorder quantity gets sold out before or during production, I can probably have the mold shop add to the first order. I'm sure it would be easier for them to keep producing them than shut the molds down, just to do more as soon as they get a chance. Of course I can't say for sure what the mold shops schedule will look like. They have been very cooperative though and have been a true pleasure to work with so far. The owner of the shop is very knowledgeable, as he was born into it, and took over for his father.

It seems everyone in the shop is pumped to be working on this project. This should be a good thing. Hopefully the job will get a little extra love, compared to their usual boring parts. It should make for a better product and better time line. I'm hoping at least. I could tell from the begining working with them that the where pro-gun. As soon as you walk into the waiting room, on the wall is a picture of the founder(owner's dad) holding up a big fresh buck.

Speaking of the mold shop, I went by the mold shop today for a few hours to help the 3D designer tweak the modified design. I am going back tomorrow after I get some other morning running around done. We should have it all worked out tomorrow. Hopefully in time to get it to the rapid prototype company tomorrow. From what they said, if I got it to them in the morning that it would take three days before it was in my hands. If all goes well, I should at least have the 3 inch prototype in my hands by noon Friday. :super: I doubt I will get it to them in time to get it Thursday. Hopefully the new design functions as good as the 2 3/4 design. It would be a real treat to be able to choose from from either round.

I am have trouble finding the time to work on the website. I am going to try and go work on it tomorrow evening with the person helping me, if I'm not to tired. I did buy a domain name last week and all the secured goodies, but it all needs set up still.

I filed the new company last week and paid extra for the paperwork to be expedited.

Saturday I opened a new bank account. And purchased a P.O. Box for people that feel better mailing in.

I has been a lot all at once. Thses little (but vital) things kind of got put on rush. I was originally planning to get them done over the next month or so but have been slamming on it now.

Anyways, If all goes well, I might have some live fire for you guys Friday. :super:

Mike I don't know how many posts I have, but I have watched your thread and design plans with interest. I would appreciate being included in a "first dibs" list if that's ok. Good luck. Can't wait to test one out!

And as far as JH goes. Don't give that prick the dignity of a response. He's just trying to take time away from your efforts. He doesn't deserve a reply from you. You seem to be a straight up kind of guy that is really trying. Rave on man! Godspeed.

Also, I have PM's from members wanting to order now to secure a spot on the list. I am not quit ready to take orders just yet. It would be easier if I waited until the website is up, to help keep track of things. It would cause me a lot of extra paperwork and refiling later if I started taking orders now. I will give you all a good heads up though.

So, when do you think you'll be able to crunch out an approx. price range?

I still haven't received the solid number from the company that will be making the springs, feedlips and back cover retaining clip. They gave me an x to z price. I will try to call them tomorrow for an update.

Also I need to see how the 3 inch design works out. If I have a sucessful 3 inch design, the mold shop will have to adjust their numbers a little bit because it will be a little more work and material than the 2-3/4 only design.

Mike I don't know how many posts I have, but I have watched your thread and design plans with interest. I would appreciate being included in a "first dibs" list if that's ok. Good luck. Can't wait to test one out!

And as far as JH goes. Don't give that prick the dignity of a response. He's just trying to take time away from your efforts. He doesn't deserve a reply from you. You seem to be a straight up kind of guy that is really trying. Rave on man! Godspeed.

I am going to do my best to make all I have orders for on the first run. I would say you have a very good chance at getting in the first run.

If you have not heard the news I got warned today by Cobra. It appears that I am too negative in this particular thread. I would like to sincerely apologize to all form readers for my lack of faith in Mike D. engineering prowess and design skills. Although I felt my critism was warranted and founded in basic engineering and manufacturing priciples I must to defer to Mr. Cobras sanctions and be civil to Mike D. From now on you will find be being nothing but positive about this thread. Should anyone find me the least bit negative or condescending to Mike D or Cobra please let me konw and I will correct it immediately.

Have a nice night

If you have not heard the news I got warned today by Cobra. It appears that I am too negative in this particular thread. I would like to sincerely apologize to all form readers for my lack of faith in Mike D. engineering prowess and design skills. Although I felt my critism was warranted and founded in basic engineering and manufacturing priciples I must to defer to Mr. Cobras sanctions and be civil to Mike D. From now on you will find be being nothing but positive about this thread. Should anyone find me the least bit negative or condescending to Mike D or Cobra please let me konw and I will correct it immediately.

Have a nice night

:eek: Joe, is that you? All right, what did you do to Joe?

Joe, It is more than alright to state what you think. There are many things that could happen to delay production. If so, I did say that I would post any delays as I they came up and not what to the last minute. I would apperciate it though if you could try not to come off so harsh with you scepticism. If you re-read the entire post, start to finish, you might could see some of what sparked this. Re-read it slow and honestly to yourself.

If you truely meant you don't want to cause problems here, then there is no need for a reply to this specific post. But, feel free to ask any questions you want about the drum, fact finding or sceptical questions are both fine. Just if it is a sceptical question, please don't follow with pics of flying pigs and horses asses ......

....................JH now sounds kinda like "HAL", from 2001:Space Odyssey..................

"I know I've been very negative, but I'm better now......................"

+1 for the quote

....now to clean up all the soda on my monitor.

~Steve

Have a nice night

Maybe it's not intentional, but to me, everything you write comes across so sarcastic in this post......

Have a nice night

Maybe it's not intentional, but to me, everything you write comes across so sarcastic in this post......

It ain't negative but it IS sarcastic. The guy is creative, I'll give him that. Now back to our regularly scheduled NLFD channel. Will these be coming in black only or can I color coordinate with my OD Saiga? Did you ever find out what type of stiff plastic material is used on the original mags? Decision made on type of plastic yet? Looking forward to the mold shop ginning these things out. Thanks for all the updates and may the force be with you. :smoke:

I just love 30+ post to thread each day and even double that when I'm working.

Mike,the vid looks promising.I'm intrested in maybe 1-2 drums.

Someone needs to make a 410 20 rd mag now.

I believe Mike already stated he was planning to make a 20 - 30 rd drum for the 410.

If you want a 18-20 rd detachable monopod, send me a couple of tens and I'll make it for you. ;)

i think the allure of mikes drum has made me change my mind about keeping my saiga :devil: instead of selling it, i think im going to keep it. its just so much fun to shoot, even with only a 5+1rd mag. i cant wait till a drum is available.... need one now!!!! i might even get 2

I'm actually getting fairly interested myself. It will come down to what the final product looks like and functions like -- of course price is an issue too. I know I won't get that wraithmaker. the whole exposed design, the fact that it looks like something made with an erector set, and the apparent bulkiness of it just makes it unappealing.

I believe Mike already stated he was planning to make a 20 - 30 rd drum for the 410.

If you want a 18-20 rd detachable monopod, send me a couple of tens and I'll make it for you. ;)

I'd have to get a .410 first. :rolleyes: The .410 drum would be cool,If I could get a .410 and some 10 rd mags to go with it I'd be cool with those.The 10 rd AGP are long enough but they sure do get attention at the range.

The local deal I had pending with my S-12 fell through.I'm glad now since I forming a trust to SBS it.I think an 8" S-410 and an 8" S-12 would be very cool at next skeet shoot with my cousin and his over and under Baikal.

....................JH now sounds kinda like "HAL", from 2001:Space Odyssey..................

"I know I've been very negative, but I'm better now......................"

+1 for the quote

....now to clean up all the soda on my monitor.

~Steve

that was as good as bobash's rhinestone comment in the JB weld thread...

i almost pissed myself

I think there definantly needs to be a 3 inch version in the mix. 2 3/4 is for birds. my guage is for home defense. also I would like to see some spare springs available so it can be kept loaded for a few months then switch out a spring for a fair price.

I am very interested in seeing the website. I am getting my first saiga in 2 weeks for my b-day present. All of this talk about drums has got me itching. I ordered a saiga without the bolt hold open but I was wandering if the bolt hold open device on a saiga 12 would be a benefit with your design?

Cobra is correct.

i think the allure of mikes drum has made me change my mind about keeping my saiga :devil: instead of selling it, i think im going to keep it. its just so much fun to shoot, even with only a 5+1rd mag. i cant wait till a drum is available.... need one now!!!! i might even get 2

I don't think I could ever be saiga-12less and fell normal again. :rolleyes:

I am very interested in seeing the website. I am getting my first saiga in 2 weeks for my b-day present. All of this talk about drums has got me itching. I ordered a saiga without the bolt hold open but I was wandering if the bolt hold open device on a saiga 12 would be a benefit with your design?

It would make attaching the drum easier with 20 rds in it. The bolt hold open makes placing any of the mags in easier for that matter. But since you can't load the drum on a closed bolt with 20rds (can with 19) it would be a nice feature to have. If you notice the video of the hand cycling, I pull the bolt carrier back and hold it back while inserting the drum. That saiga doesn't have a bho.

Update Post

I went to the mold shop yesterday to complete tweaking the modified design. We got it down right when they closed. I got the modified cad a cd to bring home and email to the rapid prototype company. Put it in the computer and it was empty! :cryss: For some reason it didn't save the info. And since the moldshop closed I had to wait until this morning to get it emailed. I had to make a hundred calls this morning while trying to run my tree crew at the same time. Very interesting morning. Anyways.....

The order with the company has been placed. They said they are 70% sure that I will be able to get it in my hands by Friday morning. ( Actually I won't be home until later that day, that sucks) If I would have had it to them yesterday as planned I would have had it Friday for sure.

I am having them do it by FDM and not SLA (SLA is the process AGP did if you remember that prototype) The SLA is not a strong material. It is a process of firing a laser into a light sensitive resin. It makes a layer about as thick as a piece of paper. And does a layer at a time until complete. The FDM is pretty much the same only it uses a very special hot glue gun and extrudes ABS plastic (a USAS-12 drum is made of ABS). It will make a very strong prototype that will be able to be fired with no risk of it exploding into a thousand pieces. Basically a production quality part.

What I'm saying is, the FDM process takes longer to do than SLA. That is why they are only 70% sure they will get it done in time for me to have it by Friday. They said they usually don't ship for a delivery day on Saturday, but they might could make an exception. I hope it gets here on Friday. If not I hope they will deliver it Saturday. If they can't do either I won't be able to get it until Monday.

Cross your finger for me that they deliver Friday!!!

Edited by Mike Davidson
I am very interested in picking up at least one.

Will they have metal feed lips? Will is matter? If it has been discussed previously, sorry, just don't feel like reading through 9 pages of thread to find out. Thanks

at least you're honest... but yes metal has been mentioned