MikeD's Saiga-12 20rd Drum Magazine, information thread

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, this is definately the thread that I check everyday before work to see what updates have been made. MikeD, thanks for taking the time to keep everyone informed, it sounds like youre busy enough as is! As to the manufacturing process, I'm sure we would all rather have them made tough than made quick.

I am very interested in picking up at least one.

Will they have metal feed lips? Will is matter? If it has been discussed previously, sorry, just don't feel like reading through 9 pages of thread to find out. Thanks

at least you're honest... but yes metal has been mentioned

They will be made of spring steel like the factory and agp mags.

Update Post

Good and bad news. The good news is that the 3inch prototype will be here tomorrow morning between 9 and 12.

The bad news is I will be at work and probably won't make it home until 7:00p.m. ( I have to go meet with my third best customer after the physical work is done)

I would have just took the day off and set the guys up splitting wood, but I have been working on a city job and need to get the last monster down so I can grind the stumps out Saturday and Sunday. I should have been able to do all this 2 weeks ago but there was a hold up due to a dispute between the city and the people that "thought" they owned the tree. If it wasn't for that , BELIEVE ME, I would have stayed home.

It will be one long and torturous day tomorrow for sure. If I have ever cracked a whip, it will be tomorrow. :angel:

Edited by Mike Davidson
Update Post

Good and bad news. The good news is that the 3inch prototype will be here tomorrow morning between 9 and 12.

The bad news is I will be at work and probably won't make it home until 7:00p.m. ( I have to go meet with my third best customer after the physical work is done)

I would have just took the day off and set the guys up splitting wood, but I have been working on a city job and need to get the last monster down so I can grind the stumps out Saturday and Sunday. I should have been able to do all this 2 weeks ago but there was a hold up due to a dispute between the city and the people that "thought" they owned the tree. If it wasn't for that , BELIEVE ME, I would have stayed home.

It will be one long and torturous day tomorrow for sure. If I have ever cracked a whip, it will be tomorrow. :angel:

hey man... you got bills to pay too

Hey Mike, I wanted to thank you for keeping us posted on your progress.

It is kind of a tease when we hear things on a forum about a whizbang product that is coming out and then we hear nothing for months afterward. Since this is something that has a lot of interest (I am especially interested in your 3 inch version), I like that we get the play by play and hear the answers quickly from "the man" and not just second hand emails.

I don't post a lot, but I wanted to let you know that I read the posts on this forum daily as my S12 is my favorite toy and my bottomless pit when it comes to accessories. I am sure that you have a lot of fans that may not speak up all the time!

I will buy from you long before the competition, simply for the fact that I get little, if any, info from them on this forum about their product and our (members of S12 forum) input was not considered in the design of their drum.

YOU ROCK! :super:

It is kind of a tease when we hear things on a forum about a whizbang product that is coming out and then we hear nothing for months afterward. Since this is something that has a lot of interest (I am especially interested in your 3 inch version), I like that we get the play by play and hear the answers quickly from "the man" and not just second hand emails.

I don't post a lot, but I wanted to let you know that I read the posts on this forum daily as my S12 is my favorite toy and my bottomless pit when it comes to accessories. I am sure that you have a lot of fans that may not speak up all the time!

I will buy from you long before the competition, simply for the fact that I get little, if any, info from them on this forum about their product and our (members of S12 forum) input was not considered in the design of their drum.

like the $20 5rd mag tease

Update Post

do I hear anybody willing to meet the ups man and test this thing on video and give input for him? Ha

do I hear anybody willing to meet the ups man and test this thing on video and give input for him? Ha

I;m sure someone would be willing. I almost asked my dad if he could bring it to my jobsite. :rolleyes:

If I didn't tell you guys I would explode. It has helped releive the pressure since I've been given permission to speak of it. It is a lot easier to say what is going on than it is for everyone else to wonder. You can bet the updates will continue. Thanks for the props. :rolleyes:

I'm going to bed. Gonna get a early start tomorrow. I still have to go get some various 3inch mags to test. Hopfully tomorrow night I'll have some great news, pics, and video.

Been a super long day. I didn't get home until after dark.

The 3 inch prototype came today. The good news is it seems like it will handle the very most 3inch rds fine. I bought a bunch of different kinds of 3inch and 2 3/4 today to test. The only thing that wouldn't load that I bought was Winchester Hi-Impact Sabot Slugs. I will be able to get these to fit as well though.

The bad news is even with it being ABS it still broke. Nothing I can't fix I think. The post that the gear slides over broke after about 10 rds. It broke right where a e-clip goes, ( the thinnest spot) Please note that in the production model the post will be steel. There was no way to insert a metal post in the prototype when they made it. I knew this would be the weakest place on the prototype. The thing about the prototype is it is made a layer at a time and it isn't even as close to as strong as if it was injected all at once.

I am going to have to get it drilled out and install a metal bolt to reattach the little piece and reinforce the post. I would have all ready done it but I don't have a drill press. It has to be a very precise hole and I'm not about to risk doing it by hand. It shouldn't be to much of a problem to get it fixed. I have to run down a suitable drill press though.

I have some better pics at least. I was going to film the test but my porch light wasn't bright enough to make me show up on the camera. I need to get to bed now though. I have to be back at it in the morning grinding stumps. I'm going to try and get the drum fixed this weekend.

Hope these pics help tide you over. It is white from the company. I am going to spray paint it balck later. My main concern now if getting it fixed so I can test it and be certain if I want to change design.

post-2662-1178338751_thumb.jpgpost-2662-1178338827_thumb.jpg

post-2662-1178338843_thumb.jpgpost-2662-1178338862_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike

You got my interest as you already know, your product looks much better than the wraithmaker, i think yours will work better too.

heres lookin forward to the live fire vid and etting in on the first production run.

assassin

Wait. So you're saying that it not only fits most 3" shells, but it also fed 2 3/4"? If this is the case, I'm putting aside cash for this thing the moment you confirm this is the case. Even if it ONLY feeds 3", I'm still most likely on it since that's all I'd fire from it anyway.

Ohhhhhhhh BAAAAAAAABEEEEEEEEEE

Outstanding. How does the front to back (interior, available to the shells) compare with the factory mags? If you are at least that long, I'd say that is a strong marketing point to make?

Next time just take the thing to work, have your crew film you as you grind stumps the Saiga way ...... :devil:

Wait. So you're saying that it not only fits most 3" shells, but it also fed 2 3/4"? If this is the case, I'm putting aside cash for this thing the moment you confirm this is the case. Even if it ONLY feeds 3", I'm still most likely on it since that's all I'd fire from it anyway.

The original only feed 2 3/4. I made some adjustments and it will now feed both 3 inch and 2 3/4.

Ohhhhhhhh BAAAAAAAABEEEEEEEEEE

Outstanding. How does the front to back (interior, available to the shells) compare with the factory mags? If you are at least that long, I'd say that is a strong marketing point to make?

Next time just take the thing to work, have your crew film you as you grind stumps the Saiga way ...... :devil:

It is slightly shorter than the factory interior. Maybe 1/8 of an inch. I might be able to get it the same though.

Crapy Update Post

I have had all kinds of hell with the rapid prototype. It is not as strong as I had hoped. I'm glad I didn't go with the weaker SLA process. Anyways, got it worked out and have some live fire videos. It has been one hell of a weekend and monday. I'll post the videos tonight and explain all the hoops I jumped through. The problems was nothing with the design, just the prototype process.

The good news is it worked and seems to funtion just as well with the 3 inch as the 2 3/4. The drum will now be made to handle both. I'm glad I tried it. I was 99% sure it would be fine but that 1% was scary.

Be back tonight with a good update. Gotta go bid some jobs. :cryss: (the worst part of tree work)

Sorry for leaving you all hanging this weekend.

If you end up modifying the molds in any way before final production how hard would it be to have the molds where the side of the drum mag neck needs to be altered for the LRBHO to be molded that way from the outset? Would it interfere with shotguns not set up for LRBHO? I am sure grinding on a $200 drum will be terrifying ordeal for people who intend to use the LRBHO and just having that small section removed seems like such an easy thing to incorporate into the mold. Any thoughts?