MikeD's Saiga-12 20rd Drum Magazine, information thread

I filmed some more videos. There vary. Tight on sholder, loose on shoulder, from the hip and one handed from the hip. I will try to get them posted as soon as I can. The jack on my computer where I plug my camera in is messed up. I will have to load to disk from a friends computer and then load to site. I hope to get them up soon. I will post them here and on my site as well.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike,

"better than an AA-12" and "two in every squad." That's some serious firepower especially in close quarters urban combat. I bet our troops could use those!

I'm also looking forward to seeing the new vids you made with the MD-20.

I thought I would join the Marines from the time I started talking. Right out of high school I was mixed up with the wrong girl and didn't. Later I was about to join after 9-11 but had a very big job come in for my tree service and couldn't pass it up. Now I have regrets for not doing my part. I want to make life better for our troops and hope I can put a peice of me in all the units. I wasn't there to be behind the trigger, so now I want to give them better triggers to pull. I really hope I can. It's probably the only way I will ever fell redeemed for not being there. Not being there is one of my only regrets in life so far.

• 2 weeks later...
Mike,

"better than an AA-12" and "two in every squad." That's some serious firepower especially in close quarters urban combat. I bet our troops could use those!

I'm also looking forward to seeing the new vids you made with the MD-20.

I thought I would join the Marines from the time I started talking. Right out of high school I was mixed up with the wrong girl and didn't. Later I was about to join after 9-11 but had a very big job come in for my tree service and couldn't pass it up. Now I have regrets for not doing my part. I want to make life better for our troops and hope I can put a peice of me in all the units. I wasn't there to be behind the trigger, so now I want to give them better triggers to pull. I really hope I can. It's probably the only way I will ever fell redeemed for not being there. Not being there is one of my only regrets in life so far.

I've had family and friends there, you shouldn't regret anything. Be thankful your doing what your doing. To quote the "Unforgiven": Die'n ain't much of a livin.

I actually found your website while searching for another, and was blown away. I ordered two as soon as I found it. Then I found this website, and just spent the last 5 hours reading this thread. WOW!! I'm glad I just found it, otherwise I'd have gone nuts over the last however many months. What an epic journey.

I can't really express how impressed I am so far, way to go, and keep up the good work. I'll be following your progress closely, but patiently. Thanks again for all your hard work!

I say call it the "MD-20". 20 rounds. MD can mean Magazine/Drum or Mike Davidson, or whatever people want it to mean.
Yeah, because MD 20/20 is taken...:D

Maybe some will use a full MD-20 to take out some empty MD 20/20's. :haha:

• 4 weeks later...
Whats the schedle look like? Its shipping some time mid october right?

Refer to Post #511. It should be under your Christmas tree for sure.

Jeff (1911) is correct. Even if there is a lot of unexpected delays the drums should be there well before Christmas. Everything looks good at this time for a late October delivery. If something changes I will post and inform everyone immediately.

• 3 weeks later...

Mike, I'm loving the publicity this drum is getting. I'm sure it's been asked before, so my apologies if it's a repeat.... but do you plan on manufacturing a 3" version any time in the near future, and if so, rough ballpark? I'm honestly waiting on the 3" version to get one of these. It just FEELS right. :D

Mike, I'm loving the publicity this drum is getting. I'm sure it's been asked before, so my apologies if it's a repeat.... but do you plan on manufacturing a 3" version any time in the near future, and if so, rough ballpark? I'm honestly waiting on the 3" version to get one of these. It just FEELS right. :D

I am hoping to have a 3 inch drum out fairly soon after the 2 3/4. I pretty much have the design all but done. I just need to reprototype to make sure my hand crafted mods are turned into accurate geometery. I am hoping to have the 3 inch out within a few months of the 2 3/4. Future project times should be a lot faster since I already have a lot of important things in place and figured out.

• 1 month later...

Newbie SAIGA owner and new to the sight. Being a toolmaker/machinist and knowledgeable about the mold industry, Mike has done a TREMENDOUS job to accomplish this in such a short period of time! And for all anxiously awaiting, mold makers tend to take their sweet time! Good mold making is as much of an art form as anything!

I plan on waiting for the 3" version as well. I just bought my 19" SAIGA today and 3 10 rnd mags, and have 5 more on order! Sure wish I had seen this first! Oh well, I still want 2 or 3 of the 3" versions when they are available! Fantastic job Mike!

Newbie SAIGA owner and new to the sight. Being a toolmaker/machinist and knowledgeable about the mold industry, Mike has done a TREMENDOUS job to accomplish this in such a short period of time! And for all anxiously awaiting, mold makers tend to take their sweet time! Good mold making is as much of an art form as anything!

I plan on waiting for the 3" version as well. I just bought my 19" SAIGA today and 3 10 rnd mags, and have 5 more on order! Sure wish I had seen this first! Oh well, I still want 2 or 3 of the 3" versions when they are available! Fantastic job Mike!

Thanks fo rthe support. This as definatly been the longest yrs of my life to date. I really had to put A LOT of time into the project to keep things moving forward. I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end.

Thanks fo rthe support. This as definatly been the longest yrs of my life to date. I really had to put A LOT of time into the project to keep things moving forward. I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end.

You've come up with a reliable and attractive 20rd drum, a working magwell system, AND you have plans for a better working 10rd stick magazine. You've basically singlehandedly re-invented the Saiga-12. Even if only half of what you've shown you've done or can do ever comes to be, it'll be absolutely amazing.

I would be buying a drum right now, except I only fire 3". Did you still have plans to make a 3" drum, or should I just bite the bullet and buy a 2.75"? Also, when do you expect to start work on the stick magazines? I'd gladly buy five of those along with a 3" drum and the drum/stick magwell if any of these were available right now.

At least in the meantime I can still get the gun ready by installing a LRBHO system and extended magazine release, and save up the insane amount of money I'm going to spend rebuilding this gun into a true tactical masterpiece :)

• 2 weeks later...

They didn't get me the test units Thursday as planned. They said the tooling complexity and the holidays put them back. If they have had a holiday season only half as crazy as mine I understand. It shouldn't be long though before I get the test units. I attached some pics though hopefully to help keep your confidence up that it is very close.

The first is what is called a mud unit. Also there is a pic of it still in the create and on the skid. The best I understand it it is like a master box for the molds and makes the tooling (molds) easy to hook up or change in the injection machine.

post-2662-1199048048_thumb.jpgpost-2662-1199048024_thumb.jpg

These are some of the components for the drum. The e-clips was the only thing I could buy out right and didn't have to special order. Believe it or not the screws was probably the hardest thing to get how I wanted them. I had to search high and low to find them in the right size, length, thread, drive, and head. I couldn't find them in black oxide so I had to have the zinc plating stripped and recoated in the black ox. The size is an uncommon one at 7, the have both slotted (flat) and philips drive. I wanted this so you could use the rim of a shell to remove the screws making the drum basically tool free if you want to strip it in the field. Most will probably not ever even take one apart but the option is there if you do. I was really getting worried at one point that I wouldn't be able to find or get the screw I wanted so when I finally found them I bought all they had (15,000).

post-2662-1199047636_thumb.jpgpost-2662-1199047648_thumb.jpg

Won't be long!!!!!

I thought the prototype was completed, (the one pictured on the web page @ MD arms) and the first test unit to clear production for the first batch was due December 27 2007. I know the company didn't meet their own deadline they gave Mike, but what is this latest drum? Is it a prototype for a 23/4 and 3" drum combined, because I thought the 2 3/4" drum was almost ready to ship. I have the 1/2 deposit on one, and was about to put a deposit on a second one, but I won't if it's going to be 7-20-08 , (not 2007 as it's over, that lost me in the thread too) before the're ready. I maybe stumbled into something about a second drum desigan and sound stupid, and if I did forgive me, but I was really thinking these would be available sooner than later.

I thought the prototype was completed, (the one pictured on the web page @ MD arms) and the first test unit to clear production for the first batch was due December 27 2007. I know the company didn't meet their own deadline they gave Mike, but what is this latest drum? Is it a prototype for a 23/4 and 3" drum combined, because I thought the 2 3/4" drum was almost ready to ship. I have the 1/2 deposit on one, and was about to put a deposit on a second one, but I won't if it's going to be 7-20-08 , (not 2007 as it's over, that lost me in the thread too) before the're ready. I maybe stumbled into something about a second drum desigan and sound stupid, and if I did forgive me, but I was really thinking these would be available sooner than later.

I never thought it would take this long either. Each day is complete torture for me. As soon as I wake up in the morning I can feel the stress behind my eyes! It really has made the holiday season hard to enjoy for me.

The test units I speak of are the first units that come off the completed tooling. They will inject around 25 drums. I need to take these units and make sure the molds are producing the measurements they are supposed to and that they are consistent. And then fire the holy hell out of them. If everything is good I sign off on the tooling. The tooling will then be transported to the company doing the injecting for me. A few test units will be made there to make sure everything is still in order before the production is turned loose.

I know it has been a long road but it is getting close. Hopefully I will have an update before the end of the week. Tomorrow the new work year should be starting back in full swing for everyone.

I never thought it would take this long either. Each day is complete torture for me. As soon as I wake up in the morning I can feel the stress behind my eyes! It really has made the holiday season hard to enjoy for me.

The test units I speak of are the first units that come off the completed tooling. They will inject around 25 drums. I need to take these units and make sure the molds are producing the measurements they are supposed to and that they are consistent. And then fire the holy hell out of them. If everything is good I sign off on the tooling. The tooling will then be transported to the company doing the injecting for me. A few test units will be made there to make sure everything is still in order before the production is turned loose.

I know it has been a long road but it is getting close. Hopefully I will have an update before the end of the week. Tomorrow the new work year should be starting back in full swing for everyone.

Great products take time. Dont let the stress get to you if you can.Doing things the right way always take longer. I am truly looking forward to the drum but I also want them to work correctly and that takes some extra time to get any bugs out or just to make sure they can handle everything you can throw at them.

Have some Herbal tea and meditate(big grin) for the stress.....

Ken

Edited by semiautoken
Great products take time. Dont let the stress get to you if you can.Doing things the right way always take longer. I am truly looking forward to the drum but I also want them to work correctly and that takes some extra time to get any bugs out or just to make sure they can handle everything you can throw at them.

Ken

Ditto on what semiautoken just stated!

Take your time Mike, and strive to personally ensure the drums which finally arrive to your customers are as perfect and man and machine can make them. No stress no strain Bro! Being able to speak only for myself, I don't give a rat's behind if my drum doesn't arrive for a few more months; whatever it takes to make sure things are right.

Best wishes to you!

~Gary

OK I feel like an idiot now. I looked at a post several months old in this thread before I posted last night and was WAY off the current situation. I hate this friggin set up where you don't see all the replies to a post, only folders at the bottom. If it's a setting I can change please tell me how because it f***in sucks!

Ken

Ditto on what semiautoken just stated!

Take your time Mike, and strive to personally ensure the drums which finally arrive to your customers are as perfect and man and machine can make them. No stress no strain Bro! Being able to speak only for myself, I don't give a rat's behind if my drum doesn't arrive for a few more months; whatever it takes to make sure things are right.

Best wishes to you!

~Gary

Thanks guys for the support. I'm already feeling better now that the holiday pressure is over. I'm starting to get caught up on inquires. I still have a ton of emails to answer.

OK I feel like an idiot now. I looked at a post several months old in this thread before I posted last night and was WAY off the current situation. I hate this friggin set up where you don't see all the replies to a post, only folders at the bottom. If it's a setting I can change please tell me how because it f***in sucks!

It is a setting you can change. For some reason it reverts back ever once in a while to what you are describing for me too. At the top right of the thread you will see an option box. Once you click the option box it will open up, go down and click "standard" under "display mode".