MikeD's Saiga-12 20rd Drum Magazine, information thread

jeese, i guess im the only one who has "tree cutting" down to 15 rounds....but then again, that is heat for my house, too. not just a target....

.223 is itsy, bitsy, teensy, weensy compared to buckshot, birdshot, or slugs!!!!!!!!! It was also a pretty good sized tree, but I don't want to get this off of subject. Com'on your the moderator quit it....

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some things I forgat to go over last night. If you remember from prior post. My mag hold 20rds but you can't load it on a closed bolt. As of right now I don't have something worked out to make it work with one of Jeric's LRBHO. Would be nice since the bolt has to be opened to load with 20rds. 19 goes in easy on a closed bolt.

Also I don't have a name for the drum like the other. I don't think I need something fancy to call it. It is what it is.

Mike that brings up a good question for those of us that have jerics LRBHO.Can the drum be notched on the side (like regular mags need to be) to clear the lever in the magwell to bypass the LRBHO? All mags have to have that cutout to work with it. Or is the lever going to interfear with the cycling of the drum?

Some things I forgat to go over last night. If you remember from prior post. My mag hold 20rds but you can't load it on a closed bolt. As of right now I don't have something worked out to make it work with one of Jeric's LRBHO. Would be nice since the bolt has to be opened to load with 20rds. 19 goes in easy on a closed bolt.

Also I don't have a name for the drum like the other. I don't think I need something fancy to call it. It is what it is.

Mike that brings up a good question for those of us that have jerics LRBHO.Can the drum be notched on the side (like regular mags need to be) to clear the lever in the magwell to bypass the LRBHO? All mags have to have that cutout to work with it. Or is the lever going to interfear with the cycling of the drum?

That is a good question, I forgot to cover. You will be able to notch the mag with not disruption in the feed. I have a LRBHO but have not installed it in a gun yet. With a little thought there is probably a way to make it activate the lrbho. Might be a little tricky. I won't be able to run it around until the are in production. And install the lrbho of course.

Edited by Mike Davidson

Mike, you don't have to think of the parts that the drum will have.

It's what the assembled firearm has. So, if the drum isn't deemed to have a floor plate, then the assembled firearm doesn't have one either. So it doesn't have that foriegn part. Doesn't matter what the drum technically consists of (and I'm guessing a body and a follower) it WILL replace the 3 foriegn parts.

In other words, the gun will NOT have a foreign mag body, mag follower, mag floorplate.

I don't know how much this actually matters, but I'm going to suggest that the name be something tame. You and I know that it doesn't matter, a drum is a drum, but if you give it something like "street anihilator" or "Death by the dozen" or "campus sweeper" ... etc ... then that's going to be used in news reports, in front of lawmakers, etc. Think about it this way, As a lawmaker it would be hard to vote to support something called .. "crack house defender".

I know, it shouldn't matter, and to the informed it won't. But to the easily swayed a name means A LOT. Half the battle in 1994 was lost when the opposition got the term "Assault weapon" missapplied (IMO).

How about "Christina's Toys". Only the guys here would understand! You could etch her image into the thing. If this has the same profile as a Beta (it doesn't) then you could etch a nipple into both drums ......

Better yet, call it the "clip" so that the media would finally stop being wrong so often in the use of that term. "Fiensteins Folly" :) "Schumercator" :o How about "Infidel Medicine", or "Jihad tenderizer".

Or .... "speed feeder" so that the USPSA rules have to be rewritten.

If you don't mind a long name, How bout "3gun matches ARE a sporting purpose". Every time a liberal tries to talk about banning the drum, some subliminal learning goes on :)

How bout printing a small disclaimer on the drum "Warning: this product is fully protected by the US Constitution. Trying to remove this from it's owner may have undesired consequences"

Seriously, I'd rather called it "bambi" than to see it called "dragons breath"

Edited by kmoore
I don't know how much this actually matters, but I'm going to suggest that the name be something tame. You and I know that it doesn't matter, a drum is a drum, but if you give it something like "street anihilator" or "Death by the dozen" or "campus sweeper" ... etc ... then that's going to be used in news reports, in front of lawmakers, etc. Think about it this way, As a lawmaker it would be hard to vote to support something called .. "crack house defender".

I know, it shouldn't matter, and to the informed it won't. But to the easily swayed a name means A LOT. Half the battle in 1994 was lost when the opposition got the term "Assault weapon" missapplied (IMO).

How about "Christina's Toys". Only the guys here would understand! You could etch her image into the thing. If this has the same profile as a Beta (it doesn't) then you could etch a nipple into both drums ......

Better yet, call it the "clip" so that the media would finally stop being wrong so often in the use of that term. "Fiensteins Folly" :) "Schumercator" :o How about "Infidel Medicine", or "Jihad tenderizer".

Or .... "speed feeder" so that the USPSA rules have to be rewritten.

If you don't mind a long name, How bout "3gun matches ARE a sporting purpose". Every time a liberal tries to talk about banning the drum, some subliminal learning goes on :)

How bout printing a small disclaimer on the drum "Warning: this product is fully protected by the US Constitution. Trying to remove this from it's owner may have undesired consequences"

Seriously, I'd rather called it "bambi" than to see it called "dragons breath"

EXCELLENT POST and it cracked me up to boot! :lolol:

As I stated from the begining, I am all in favor of these. If these run reliable, I will definitely be in for at minimum 2. If these are as cool as they sound, I will most likely buy 2 or 3 more. I will also buy the other guy's drums if they are reliable as well. I already have many thousand dallors in mags, so whats a few thousand more. Since it is the magazine that makes the Saiga, the more the better. How very cool would it be to have 6 or 7 drums loaded up and go through them as fast as possible. I already have a Beta-c and AK 75rd drums.

But to be honest, I will not pre-order a drum. I don't like being the guinea pig, so I will wait to hear reports back before I buy. As a small business owner, I know quality and delays are sometimes out of your hands. I did not invest in the Shrike, because of this reason and I am happy I didn't do so. I am not affraid of spending money on extras (I have a Lage upper on my M-11/9, ACOGs on my ARs and Surefires on everything), but it has to be worth the money. Create a high quality product and everybody will like up to buy it.

Give it some funky name that isn't so obvious. Naming the AR sporter didn't work for Colt, but it can't hurt. One that comes to my mind is 'Pale Horse'.

How abut Helia ?

Sounds a little fancy. My tax guy is going to help me set up a corp. for the project. I'm going to call him Monday to get this rolling. I had to let tax season pass for him. I just saw him Monday and he said basically anytime next week would be good for him. I haven't desided on a name for the comp. yet. I really was thinking I would just keep it simple like "company name- Saiga 12 20rd drum or mag or maybe d-mag. I have to admit MD-20 has a nice ring. Kind of like a military designation. I need to be making a decision though.

How about NFLD-20? :)

Edited cuz Mike is right, should have typed NLFD. and we'll have to learn how to pronouce it ... nufludee20 :o

It is easy to do, When I posted the correction I put NFLD and just before I hit the post button I noticed it. That would have been great " He didn't mean to put NFLD, he meant to put NFLD" :lolol: This has me wondering though. Is a bad stick mag a NFLD? Non-Feeding Linear Device :smoke:

Edited by Mike Davidson
You could call it the T-20..."T" for TERMINATOR

...OR MAYBE THE DECIMATOR...LOL

Let me film a good little segment of tree removal for your vid and you can use it for your other biz as well :devil:

I can see the commercial now, "We can do the job for you, or supply you with the tool!" :smoke:

Can't wait for your drums to arrive,bro!.And i'd go with what's ready now,then maybe add a 3" model afterwards.

Does anyone else like the name,"MD-20" ?.

I do like this name. Like Skull said, it can be dual purpose. Great suggestion Eric.

Can't wait for your drums to arrive,bro!.And i'd go with what's ready now,then maybe add a 3" model afterwards.

I do like this name. Like Skull said, it can be dual purpose. Great suggestion Eric.

"MD-20" reminds me of high school and Mad Dog 20 20, a particularly nasty Mogan David wine. Probably just me though,

alright well how about "The Troublemaker"? Or maybe the god damned motherfucking troublemaker, since that is all the fucking thing has been to everyone involved ever since the fucking idea was first concieved! If there is one thing that has ripped this forum a new asshole worse than any other thing it is any mention of a fucking DRUM MAG!

Sure let's be all PC for the sheeple and pretend in our own minds that that is gonna make any difference at all. Just call it the "peacemaker"and maybe all the gungrabbers will instantly reverse their decision that guns are evil and the most destructive new "assault weapon" on our streets happens to be the S-12 with it's giant round feeding device that makes it look so much like the evil streetsweeper to all those fucktards who don't know the difference between a revolving cylinder and a hemmoroid.

I don't care what it's called, I'll just be happy when the damned thing is out there! Maybe then all tyhe stupid arguing and bitching and moaning will stop around here.

Naa on second thought some of these argumentative bastards who call themselves members here, but don't even have the fortitude to donate a few dollars to the forum and try to do something good for a change, nor the sense to contribute anything other than trolling and acting like children every time they see a chance to jump into a conversation and try to make themselves look tough or smart at the expense of someone else....No these assholes will continually find something to run their mouths about and hide behind the bullshit title of the first amendment.

THERE'S A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FREEDOM OF SPEECH AND BEING A COMPLETE AND TOTAL ASSHOLE.

wtf is a moderator to do?

...make decisions and have them reversed I guess.

I thought it should be named after you,Mike,since you designed it,and all.And I liked the 'military ring' it has to it.

1911,do you remember 'Boons Farm Strawberry Hill' and 'Malt Duck'?.Two of my other favorites in High School! :lol:

Edited by Telly458

cobra, why are you carrying that whole ordeal into this thread?

I think the "Davidson NLFD" idea is pretty good. put your name on it, is my suggestion, if you have a workable name like that. I know my last name wouldnt work on a product.

"MD-20" reminds me of high school and Mad Dog 20 20, a particularly nasty Mogan David wine. Probably just me though,

He He He... "MadDog 20" There's a CO0L name for the Drum!!!

ps Thanks KMoore for the CO0L words...kudos!!!

Yours Truly,

MadDog

Edited by MadDog
Tag for updates.

I think the best name would be fp-20.

Not to be disrepectful to Mike D., but with all these things that "are going to be considered" in the design, there is no way this will be out in 8 to 12 weeks for production. I would think that one would need a prototype that could be tested for design concept. Also he could show us his prototype. There is an old proverb about a bird in hand being worth two in the bush. The Wraithmaker is available today and they have a video on youtube. It is in production and are currently taking orders. I think this drum on this thread will be at least 6 months off since all these new things are being considered. I believe the other product is real.

I believe this product of Mike D's will be in time for when these animals come into season: flying_pig.jpg

Edited by Mike Davidson
Tag for updates.

I think the best name would be fp-20.

Not to be disrepectful to Mike D., but with all these things that "are going to be considered" in the design, there is no way this will be out in 8 to 12 weeks for production. I would think that one would need a prototype that could be tested for design concept. Also he could show us his prototype. There is an old proverb about a bird in hand being worth two in the bush. The Wraithmaker is available today and they have a video on youtube. It is in production and are currently taking orders. I think this drum on this thread will be at least 6 months off since all these new things are being considered. I believe the other product is real. Just look here :

Where did you come from? I bet this is Wraithmaker or one of his employes with hopeful thinking and wishing.

I have had a working prototype for well over a month. All kinds of things aren't being considered. Really just one. If I will adapt it to work with 3inch also is the only thing. I do have the bird in hand to speak. I have posted a video of loading and hand cycleing. Sorry I didn't film a live fire video, but that doesn't mean I didn't fire it over and over, in 6 different saiga-12. Yeah they are taking orders right now. And I could do the same. They also said it was 30 to 45 days out, but now all of a sudden the are avaliable now. Even after switching from 3inch only to 2 3/4 only. I dion't think I would hold my breath for immediate shipping or anything. I can't say what they have going on, just like you can't say what I have going on. But I did post the facts about my product. Nothing was streatched or lied on. As far as them, I can't say.

One thing I can say is, my drum will be out soon. I am not at all in fear of their drum causing any hurt to my sales either when I release them. I know I have a over all much better product as it stands, even if I don't make it fire both sizes of ammo. My product is A LOT more affordable as well. And they don't even want to start a price war either, I promise. My material is a lot cheaper and in the time they get their first peice of metal ready to cut, my molds will have kick out 5 or 10 drums. I would say that I can put all the peices together 5 times faster as well.

I'm not here to try and put them under though or anything. I had my ball rolling for over a month before I knew they exhisted. We are both competition the other didn't know they had.

The pigs will be buzzing your house a lot quicker than you think. Better staighten the point on your tin foil hat and clean the lens of your goggles.

Edited by Mike Davidson