TECH SECTION IN EFFECT

Please note that we have opened a new section titled "tech section" here, and that we welcome all of you to post there about your conversion and problematic issues, and if you have any posts in the past, to bring them to our attention, so that they may be deemed to be moveable to the new section that we have made, for everyone's convienience....

--saiga-12.com staff

• 4 years later...

Sub categories for the following would be great, and would probably help with redundancy:

Conversion:

Trigger install, choices, tuning

Muzzle devices:

choices, modifications, efects

Troubleshooting:

Gas System

FT Eject

FT Feed

Gas Block mods for reliability problems

Gas Tuning for NFA/ Short gas

Magazine mods/ Magwells

Furniture:

Choices

Mods to fit Wood/ refinishing wood

Tang cutting

Clearance issues with Folders

Recoil reduction

Finish Treatment guides

Rattle can, touch up

Duracoat /Moly Resin...

Park.

Making parts match furniture

Stencil tips.

Those are all frequent searches, and posts and polls.

• 1 year later...

So I just got a brand new Saiga 12 its my first one and I have what I beieve to be a small problem. The gun came with a cheap plastic thread protector on the barrel, I was out shooting today ran some rounds and looked at the end and it was missing. I looked down range to find it with no avail, so I came home and promptly ordered a new steel one from Tapco. Here's the question..is it going to damage the gun in any way if I shoot without it until it arrives?(About a week shipping)

• 8 years later...

I have a question concerning the back pressure produced by the factory Saiga12 1/2 choke. I have an SBS Saiga12 with a 14.5" barrel with four ports at .078 to .079 and it runs both high and low brass without choke on the number 2 setting. My question, is it normal to run low brass with the choke on the number 1 setting? It runs most low brass on the number 2 setting without the choke and it will run at least two brands of Federal on the number 1 setting without the choke. I don't believe the gun is anywhere near getting too much gas, but I like to run high brass as well as low brass and I would like some feed back from some of you guys. I've read some of gunfun posts and he seems knowledgeable as well as Bob Ash and others. Give brothers!

Edited by macaholic

It sounds like it's tuned and running just fine. If it functions on low-gas setting with the choke on or off..  Just shoot it. Im not sure exactly what you're trying to figure out. Sounds like your just over thinking and worrying too much...🤔

14 hours ago, IndyArms said:

It sounds like it's tuned and running just fine. If it functions on low-gas setting with the choke on or off..  Just shoot it. Im not sure exactly what you're trying to figure out. Sounds like your just over thinking and worrying too much...🤔

You're probably right IndyArms, I know I'm splitting hairs, but I want to run high brass as well as low brass without beating the gun to death. This gun was in limbo for about three years now and I'm just getting back to finishing it up with a series of function tests to see what it will and will not run. So far it's looking good, but I want to get some feed back from some of the guys on this site who have experience running the Izzi 1/2 choke on both settings with high and low brass.  I guess my question is, is it normal for the gun to run low brass on the #1 setting with the choke, and will it run high brass on #1 with the choke, without risking damage. As I said, the barrell is 14.5 with four ports .078 to .079 angle drilled at about 35 degrees so I don't think it's anywhere near over gassed, but the gun seems to run a little stronger than I expected for these numbers.  I'm still trying to get more brands of shotgun ammo as the supply is limited now days and I like to run as many variety of brands when I do a function test on these guns. So far, I have run several brands of Federal low brass with success and two of them will run on the #1 gas setting without the choke. One of them is the bulk pack in the red box from Walmart. But so far, these two brands of low brass are the only two that will run on the #1 setting without the choke. But again, I guess my concern is the back pressure produced by the choke running both 2 3/4 high and low brass. If I weren't planning to run this gun with the choke in certain matches, I wouldn't even worry about it. Thanks for your input IndyArms.

What are you referring to as "choke"? The choke is on the end of the barrel. I'm assuming you are speaking of the gas plug, because that is what regulates the gas going into the gas block. The TAC-47 Autoplug may be worth searching for.

You're correct that 1/2 setting on the factory gas plug may beat up the rear trunnion if left on "2" while shooting full power loads (high brass). The TAC-47 Autoplug does a very good job regulation the gas going into he gas block no matter what load you are shooting.

1 hour ago, YOT said:

What are you referring to as "choke"? The choke is on the end of the barrel. I'm assuming you are speaking of the gas plug, because that is what regulates the gas going into the gas block. The TAC-47 Autoplug may be worth searching for.

You're correct that 1/2 setting on the factory gas plug may beat up the rear trunnion if left on "2" while shooting full power loads (high brass). The TAC-47 Autoplug does a very good job regulation the gas going into he gas block no matter what load you are shooting.

I'm referring to the factory choke manufactured by Izmash known as the 1/2 choke or mod choke would be the equivilant manufactured by CSS. The gun runs low brass as normal on the #2 setting with the exception of two brands of Federal low brass that will run on the #1 setting without the choke. My concern is the back pressure the choke produces running both high and low brass because the gun runs low brass on the #1 setting with the choke. Is this normal and is it safe to run high brass with the choke? I know, it's confusing and I'm racking my brain as well.