Standard Saiga - how comfortable to shoot?

I live in California. I am thinking of buying the standard 7.62 x 39 Saiga and keeping is the way it is. How ergonomic is it to shoot? Does the straight stock feel that bad? I have Garands and Mini-14s with straight stocks. They feel good.

If figure I can buy a dozen 10 round mags and still have a decent, reliable weapon. Will I hate it if it is not converted (can't legally do it)?

go for the Saiga, you won't look back! I have two 7.62x39 and .223 and am leaving them stock even though I do not have to. They point real nice, just as nice as my Rem 597 which has a nice stock, cheek weld and sight picture is perfect for me. Length of pull is also a good fit. If I was living in your state and wanted a AK style rifle this is the one I would have. The ten round mag limit does not bother me. like you said just buy more mags. If S really HTF I am not going to worry much about plugging a 30 rounder in mine(even though I do not do it now), the LEOs are going to have too much on their hands to worry about my sporter rifle with a high cap. (my opinion only) I really enjoy shooting mine. In the original config it is no more menacing than a Remington semi-auto rifle, I like it that way, and it is pretty tough. BTW how much are they going for there? Can you get one from out of state and transfer it at a FFL?

When I got my x39 it was in standard form, the reason I did the conversion is so I legally could use Hi-caps. That being said I did play with it in sporter from and it was nice. The price was the excellent part for the action I mean I bought mine for alot less than a WASR would of cost.

That being said if you want to look even more like a hunting rifle and less "evil black gun" go with BRG3's stock sets you won't be disapointed

You're lucky to get the ten rounders for only $16. I remember paying $35 for one ten rounder magazine before the 'assault rifle' ban expired. If you can legally own hi cap magazines then conversion is an option for you. I converted my Saiga so I could use the hi cap magazines legally. The unconverted Saiga is a good rifle even though I don't like the open sights and I added an aperture sight to mine.