How much does your rifle weigh?

What does your rifle weigh, bone stock with no accessories on it?

FWIW, based on my 'digital' bathroom scale, which is definitely NOT a scientific instrument, my 16" Saiga w/ steel Romy folding stock weighs in at 8.4 pounds (a synthetic US-made butt stock would likely lower that count). For comparison purposes a 'light-weight' (polymer lower) 16" AR-15 weighs in at 6.4 pounds, and a 'light-weight' (aluminum lower) 16" FAL weighs in at 9.4 pounds, on the same scale (all with slings, and empty mags).

With a standard synthetic butt stock, I would guess a 5.56/.223 AK might split the difference between 'light-weight' versions of the AR & FAL. Please keep in mind, those are 'light-weight' (non-mil-spec) builds. Also, please do a web search for the weight of the standard US military issue M16A2 - if I remember correctly, it weighs in at over 9 pounds, with sling and empty mag (at which point I would rather have either my 'light-weight' FAL, or my converted .223 Saiga, depending on ammunition availability ;>)...

Edited by Bad Bob

I forgot to mention, I am also the very lucky owner of a Lee-Enfield Carbine (LEC) Mark I, which at one time was converted to a LEC Royal Irish Constabulary (RIC) carbine, BEFORE it was 'sporty-ized' by some well-intentioned (but 'ham-handed') American sportsman. I replaced the butchered wood furniture with synthetic, and had a gunsmith plug the screw holes in the receiver (placed there for an old & useless scope mount). The 20+" barrel was very nice, so I ended up with an accurate .303 rifle that weighs just 6.8 pounds (including a sling & empty 10 rd No.1 Mk.III L-E mag). It has the 'punch' of an FAL, the reliability of an AK, and (almost ;>) the light weight of an AR. FWIW, it was manufactured in 1898 (so it's a 'legal antique') - looks like the Brits were way ahead of things (in some ways ;>) back in 1898...

If you live in a 'Blue State,' think "Lee-Enfield"...

;>)

• 4 weeks later...

According to the digital scale, my 16" Siaga (which is stock) weighs 7 lbs. 1.6 ozs. w/o magazine.

A 10 round magazine weighs 7.8 ozs, when loaded w/ 55gr. WWB (Winchester White Box) ammo.

Hope this info helps.

Bill