Installed a pre-production Ultimak rail today.

I recently received a pre-production Ultimak rail from Blaine at Atlantic Firearms. Today I mounted it up on an IZ-109 and checked out the fit. I leveled the receiever in a vice and then checked the level of the rail to see if was rocked over to one side. It was dead nuts on the money. Nice and flat across the top. I then lasered in the rail with the bore, and that too checked out in alignment.

The rail is built with a recoil lug that butts up against the back of the gas block, so the thing should stay put during recoil without a problem. The mount is very robost and spans the entire length of the gas tube from the rear dovetail up to the front sight screw hole. Installation only requires you to remove your front and rear sights and then screw the rail in place. It comes with one screw in the front and a threaded dove tail block for the rear. The block is inserted into the rear sight dove tail and then a screw comes down through the mount from the top.

All in all, this is a very nice design and I look forward to having some production units in hand soon. I believe they will be available in early June and will run about $100 bucks.

Tony Rumore

Tromix Corp

Cobra,

Yes it uses the standard 4mm thread in the front. With the recoil lug up against the back of the gas block, it should be OK, but nonetheless, I drilled out the gas block and retapped it for a 10-32 screw anyway.

Tony

Ahh good move...I definately wouldn't trust that little threaded hole without at least "permanently" attching the screw with red or green locktite. I don't know how many times I've seen people lose their front bead from the heat and vibration, and that's just that little threaded nub with nothing attached to it...

Looks like a cool product though. They will sell big.

+1 on the low profile rear sights.

Tony...I have the standard AK sights on my S-12 as opposed to the rail sight that came with the gun. Would the use of this rail still allow me to use the AK sights? As much as I like the idea of the rail concept, I would not use any firearm that didn't have iron sights as murphy's law would suggest that electronic, holo, red dot sights would quit at the worst possible moment.

Edited by Blaster
Cobra,

Yes it uses the standard 4mm thread in the front. With the recoil lug up against the back of the gas block, it should be OK, but nonetheless, I drilled out the gas block and retapped it for a 10-32 screw anyway.

Tony

how do you remove the stock 4mm screw in front sight if you want to keep it that size?

thanks in advance

M

For those who have the adjustable rib on their shotty's, would the recommendation be to lose the adjustment screw post, and drill and tap with the favorite size screw?

I think they said that there will be a different rail for the sight rib types. I'm wondering too.

When I spoke to the guys at Ultimak, they said they had a prototype rail that fit the vent rib guns, but at this time, they were not going into production with them. That was based upon the fact that most of the guns imported by RAA have the iron sights installed. However, I pointed out to them that EAA imported many more vent rib guns then RAA has, and they should consider making it. I don't know if they will or not. At this point, I would plan to grind off the threaded post and drill and tap a new hole.

Also, on some of the earlier iron sighted guns, the under side of the front sight post was staked, so when you try to unscrew it, the thing just breaks off in the hole. Those will need to be redrilled and tapped as well.

Tony

I have been bugging the Ultimak people about once a month since January when the picture of the prototype showed up on their website. The interesting thing is they told me they developed the version for the ribbed guns first but were going into production with the other version.

What I am waiting on is the adaptation of the AK Modular Rail Forend System to the Saiga 12. SUPPOSEDLY they are working on this. With both pieces together, their cost will eclipse the orignal purchase price of my S12 but I am going with these whenever they get done.

IPSC_GUY

SIERRA II ALPHA

Edited by IPSC_GUY

oh man, an ultimak for my s12 now? HOH HOH by hook or by crook im getting one for mine. I won a few bucks over the weekend after work with my s12 doing 3 man close in skeet shooting. they were all pissed at me for taking the skeet before them 4 out of 5 times, and im sure with an ultimak on there, they wont be getting ANY.

bambi, you better look out this fall. Im gunna EAT YA.

I got my computer fixed today. Here are two pics for you.

Ultimak2.jpg

Ultimak1.jpg

Tony, are those rails steel or aluminum? I need to find rails like that in steel but have been unable to find any. Thanks.

Tony- THANKS A MILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!

The gun is everything that I was looking for 3gun in Open division. The rail looks fantastic!!! I ran 50 rounds of 00 through it today at lunch and it ran like a raped ape. I didn't know that the conversion pushed the gun out of cash and carry status. I need to wait the 7 days for the paperwork to clear before I can mount the scope and take some photos. The rail was worth waiting the extra time to get.

Update on the Saiga 12 Rail , we expect to have these in approx 6 weeks if eveything goes as planned

Retail price will be $95 pls ship , We will run a limited time special of $85 pls ship , we are not taking payment in advance but are currently building a order list, we will contact you once the rails are ready to ship and at that time you would make payment. We will be offering further discounts on bulk orders of 10 or more .

Thank You

Blaine Bunting

Atlantic Firearms,llc

Kenneth have you given any consideration as to which optic you plan to use? I'm having trouble deciding which optic mount to buy, the fellow out in Hawaii has a very interesting design. Hope to see you in a couple of weeks.

Is there any word from C&S if they plan to produce the adjustable gas setting? I think it precludes the use of Jammer's C-more mount, but I'm not sure. A low, forward mount optic is tempting, but gas adjustability is too...

Is there any word from C&S if they plan to produce the adjustable gas setting? I think it precludes the use of Jammer's C-more mount, but I'm not sure. A low, forward mount optic is tempting, but gas adjustability is too...

First I'm hearing about the C&S product, can you fill me in/point me to a thread/give a link?