Installed a pre-production Ultimak rail today.

Kenneth have you given any consideration as to which optic you plan to use? I'm having trouble deciding which optic mount to buy, the fellow out in Hawaii has a very interesting design. Hope to see you in a couple of weeks.

For me, current plan would be to mount a cmore on the 12ga.

But I'm reading real good things about the 20ga in competition. So, I'm toying with working up a "competition only" S20 that would have the Docter/JPoint/Burris optic mounted mid bbl, a brake or porting. Use factory 10's and a WM drum. There are a lot of matches that disallow the 20ga, or that require buckshot that isn't available in the 20ga. Some don't allow any optics, and some don't allow any brakes/ports. So I'd have an ultra gamer gun, and keep my S12 set up with a Cmore with iron backups in case it isn't allowed.

But realize, this is just in the planning stage, I've got a bunch of things that never have gotten out of that .... including a USAS12 comp gun, 10mm competition revolvers, a revolver to take moon clips AND speed loaders, and a half dozen optic plans for the Saiga12 :(

I like to think, but am slow to do some times .....

I got my computer fixed today. Here are two pics for you.

Ultimak2.jpg

Ultimak1.jpg

Thanks for the pics Tony. Looks very well made. Did they allow room for adjustment? Ie did they account for the fact that all Saiga GBs are not the same distance from the rear sight dovetail? BTW Kmoore, this rail should work on both the 20 and 12. I recently installed a Halo and was surprised to have to move the hole for the mounting screw rearward about 1/8" :eek: Also had to mill out the inside to make more room for the mounting lug.

Another huge oversight on the Halo was the way they left the rail on the right hand side about a half inch directly in front of the charging handle. Somebody installs it like that and rides the bolt home and they are asking for a broken knuckle :cryss:

I think in their rush to come out with the first rail system they threw quality control to the wind...no one should have to make modifications on a rail system that costs $280, it should drop right in.

Not trying to jack this thread, just trying to share some info to keep others from being surprised. Hell maybe this will help sell more Ultimaks...

Pics...

The "adjusted" mounting hole and lug:

post-1293-1178292831_thumb.jpg post-1293-1178292840_thumb.jpg

Siderail Before:

post-1293-1178292793_thumb.jpg post-1293-1178292809_thumb.jpg

After:

post-1293-1178293069_thumb.jpg post-1293-1178293438_thumb.jpg

I got my computer fixed today. Here are two pics for you.

Ultimak2.jpg

Ultimak1.jpg

Thanks for the pics Tony. Looks very well made. Did they allow room for adjustment? Ie did they account for the fact that all Saiga GBs are not the same distance from the rear sight dovetail? BTW Kmoore, this rail should work on both the 20 and 12. I recently installed a Halo and was surprised to have to move the hole for the mounting screw rearward about 1/8" :eek: Also had to mill out the inside to make more room for the mounting lug.

Another huge oversight on the Halo was the way they left the rail on the right hand side about a half inch directly in front of the charging handle. Somebody installs it like that and rides the bolt home and they are asking for a broken knuckle :cryss:

I think in their rush to come out with the first rail system they threw quality control to the wind...no one should have to make modifications on a rail system that costs $280, it should drop right in.

Not trying to jack this thread, just trying to share some info to keep others from being surprised. Hell maybe this will help sell more Ultimaks...

great job on that fitting by the way! looks like it should have, only perhaps cleaner!!

I agree that paying that price, you should get something that is drop in perfect. I couldn't justify spending more on a rail than the entire gun cost, and then have to mechanically muck with it after all that. I think 160.00 should be the price point for that rail, or at least under 200.00.

Pics...

The "adjusted" mounting hole and lug:

post-1293-1178292831_thumb.jpg post-1293-1178292840_thumb.jpg

Siderail Before:

post-1293-1178292793_thumb.jpg post-1293-1178292809_thumb.jpg

After:

post-1293-1178293069_thumb.jpg post-1293-1178293438_thumb.jpg

Is there any word from C&S if they plan to produce the adjustable gas setting? I think it precludes the use of Jammer's C-more mount, but I'm not sure. A low, forward mount optic is tempting, but gas adjustability is too...

First I'm hearing about the C&S product, can you fill me in/point me to a thread/give a link?

god i hope he makes those available to everyone...

a damned genious idea he has

I finally picked up the gun and mounted a C-More on top. The scope does sit a little high if you like a tight cheek weld. For 3 gun it should work great. Tony and Atlantic Firearms have a winner here.

post-4917-1178746372_thumb.jpg

post-4917-1178746381_thumb.jpg

post-4917-1178746388_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
Update on the Saiga 12 Rail , we expect to have these in approx 6 weeks if eveything goes as planned

Retail price will be $95 pls ship , We will run a limited time special of $85 pls ship , we are not taking payment in advance but are currently building a order list, we will contact you once the rails are ready to ship and at that time you would make payment. We will be offering further discounts on bulk orders of 10 or more .

Thank You

Blaine Bunting

Atlantic Firearms,llc

Hello

Anybody heard about updates or availability on these Ultimak S12 rails? I didn't see any mention of them on Atlantic's (or Ultimak's) web page. I posted an e-mail to Blaine but haven't heard back yet.

I'm hoping to be able to utilize one of these for my new build...

TIA,

guido2 in Houston

Edited by guido2

Hey Guido, I was over at Ultimak last week, they had boxes of Ultimak rails all packaged up, not sure which model.

I'd go ahead and call the guys at Ultimak, they are cool guys to chat with and seem pretty laid back.

I was over there showing them my Saiga conversion, and they know about this forum too.. well since I gave them the URL to the forum.. lol

Here's there number:

(208) 883-4734

We have sent payment off for the first production run of the rails, Ultimak indicated the order would ship out to us sometime next week ( Aug 6 -10 th)

Hello, Blaine?

Count me in for one. I would be glad to pre-pay, if it would help.

guido2 in Houston

• 1 month later...
We have sent payment off for the first production run of the rails, Ultimak indicated the order would ship out to us sometime next week ( Aug 6 -10 th)

Hello, Blaine?

guido2 in Houston

Anyone find the iron sights setup that works with either this Ultimak or the Cobra rail? I still can't give up my good performing irons just for an optic rail without a backup plan. Both these rails, and the gas tube doctor mount all look like good options now, but none but the Jammer barrel mount c-more setup seem easily setup with co-witness irons. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. So many choices, so little irons.........................

Hello, Blaine?

guido2 in Houston

Anyone find the iron sights setup that works with either this Ultimak or the Cobra rail? I still can't give up my good performing irons just for an optic rail without a backup plan. Both these rails, and the gas tube doctor mount all look like good options now, but none but the Jammer barrel mount c-more setup seem easily setup with co-witness irons. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. So many choices, so little irons.........................

Hello, twinhairdryers

I'm working on it as we read...

I think the best chance to assemble co-witnessing irons is to start with a clamp-on-the-barrel front. Also give the best sight radius. Krebs is the obvious choice there, but although I have one ordered with them, I don't have any idea when they may be shipping them again.

I ordered a couple of folding clamp-on AR fronts from a dealer in Hong Kong off eBay. They are bored for the AR barrel OD (.750") so I suppose I'll hit them with a 57/64" drill (890") in the "loose" condition to allow them to clamp on my S12 barrel (.886" OD).

Once I get that mounted, it should give me an idea of corresponding rear sight requirements. I have amassed a number of different rail and dust-cover rears to test the setup with, different elevations and configurations.

I reckon even if I can't get the co-witnessing to line up perfectly with the dot on my Docter sight, I will be content if I can simply sight throuh the Docter aperture to line up my irons. I'm optimistic that it will work.

I will be glad to post any findings and results...

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston