Dude shot two NYS Troopers yesterday, one died and one was saverd by his vest. They tracked him to an upstate farm house that he broke into (I think, the kids and grandkids came over and switched to the simpsons :ded: ). I'll follow up later.

update for those that didn't see:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/04/26/...in2730943.shtml

Suspect In Trooper Shooting Found Dead

MARGARETVILLE, N.Y., April 26, 2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(AP) The charred body of a man suspected of killing a state trooper and wounding two others was removed Thursday from the smoldering wreckage of a farmhouse that caught fire as police closed in on him.

Investigators used fingerprints to identify the man as Travis Trim, 23, State Police Maj. Kevin Molinari said.

It wasn't immediately clear if Trim died in the shootout with troopers earlier Wednesday or in the fire that broke out when police fired tear gas canisters into the house later in the day. Molinari said an autopsy was planned Thursday afternoon. Fire officials were still searching the home.

"I can't tell you whether he was dead or alive when the fire started," said Preston Felton, acting superintendent of the New York State Police.

The pursuit began Tuesday after a trooper stopped Trim in a stolen minivan in the Margaretville area, about 65 miles southwest of Albany at the edge of the Catskill Mountains.

When Trim failed to provide identification, Trooper Matthew Gombosi told him he was under arrest, Felton said. Trim then pulled a handgun from his waistband and shot Gombosi, Felton said. Gombosi's body armor kept him from being seriously injured, but the suspect escaped, police said.

Police found the stolen Dodge Caravan abandoned on a road in nearby Middletown.

The farmhouse where Trim apparently holed up, in a hamlet called Arkville, was described by neighbors as a weekend residence.

Wednesday morning, state troopers were searching the area when two more were shot, Felton said. Trooper David C. Brinkerhoff, 29, was shot in the head and died shortly afterward. Richard Mattson was in serious but stable condition with a wound to his arm.

The fire erupted soon after an armored vehicle rolled up and police fired tear gas into the farmhouse. SWAT teams tried to enter the home but were driven back by the flames.

Felton said that police used a "non-incendiary type" device containing tear gas and that it was possible Trim set the fire.

The home's owner, Rommel Aujero, was aware that it burned and "appears to be a very understanding man," Felton said. A phone number for Aujero could not be located.

Trim is from North Lawrence, about 10 miles from the Canadian border. He has a 2005 conviction for driving while intoxicated and aggravated, unlicensed operation, but his grandmother said he had tried to turn his life around.

"He wanted to go to college. We talked to his probation officer to help fix it up," Ruth Trim said in a telephone interview from her home in Dickinson Center. "I'm devastated. He was going to go to college to make something of himself. Now, he's really ruined his life."

Trim had been enrolled briefly at the State University of New York-Canton but withdrew in November, said Randy Sieminski, a school spokesman.

He had been arrested on charges of marijuana possession and providing alcohol to a minor while at SUNY-Canton, but his family and officials at schools he attended were stunned to hear he was a shooting suspect.

"It's all so bizarre," said Mark Hill, a SUNY-Canton instructor who had Trim in a freshman class. "He had no bad dealings here. He got along with everyone and worked well in team settings."

Last summer, Ralph "Bucky" Phillips led police on a five-month manhunt throughout western New York after breaking out of a county jail. He shot one trooper during a traffic stop and two others who were searching for him. One of those troopers died.

Phillips was captured in September and is serving two life sentences.

image2730972g.jpg

An Arkville, N.Y., farmhouse that authorities had surrounded in a search for man suspected of killing a state trooper goes up in flames on April 25, 2007. The fire started shortly after sharpshooters began firing and SWAT teams tried to enter. The suspect's charred body was found inside. (AP)

Is it too soon to say that it's a good thing they have such stringent gun laws in New York or somebody might have gotten hurt?

stringent? nooo we need MORE laws!

hell, whatever new law they come up with will be named after the dead trooper, and pushed through the assembly and state senate like nobody's business.

Hmm, is this the same incident where the trooper might have been killed by friendly fire (as they are now reporting)? :unsure:

Shit, and they claim the Rangers in Pat Tillman's unit can't shoot worth a damn. :killer:

Hmm, is this the same incident where the trooper might have been killed by friendly fire (as they are now reporting)? :unsure:

Shit, and they claim the Rangers in Pat Tillman's unit can't shoot worth a damn. :killer:

watch your mouth or they'll burn your house down!

• 2 weeks later...

contrary to popular belief, us NYer dont fuck around. once I had heard he shot a cop, I would have had all my friends out lookin to kill the fucker, myself. property rights and all.

and us conservative republicans arent so conservative, after all, now, are we???? (and this one is a NYer)

I couldnt give a crap if some gungho cop shot an entry team member in theback of the head or not. that doesnt surprise me, but it is vey unfortunate......

to me? it sounds like someone was tapping rounds into the door when the #1 or #2 guy kicked it in and got hit with one......

the enemy is dead, however, and was sent to hell with flames. losses are a very sad thing, but they do happen. its the criminal's fault. not that cop's that pulled the trigger.

think about it how I said, and make pretend you are from NY, and see what you think about it....

I for one am glad the prisoner was killed on scene, especially because of what ACTUALLY happened....

by the way, that picutre you have there, aardvark, clearly shows a closed up building, meaning all the doors were still shut and the criminal had done it, or just entered, and is burning with a propellant....unless there are special circumstances that I dont know about, that is....

clearly a set fire. who better to call on than the fire department to set a blaze like that...

....but like I said, you shoot a cop, you are going to hell in short order, especially in NY.

its too bad the police shot one of thier own in the process.

post-83-1178959450.jpg

I don't have to pretend I'm in NY.

I do care that a cop was shot by another cop.

I do care that the perp never made it to trial. (as i knew he wouldn't)

I do care that the house burned down when they tear gassed the place.

I do know that you can't say that the perp burned the place down from a still photo of as fire that's already underway.

Edited by 44rdv4rk

I dont disagree with you arrdvark, I agree with you in fact. and yeh, i am aware you dont have to pretend to be a nyer to see my reasoning.

I am argueing the other side of the stated facts.

my whole point is, (sorry I havent responded sooner, lost track of this thread) any way you slice it, its a goddamn shame, and I dont care even if the cops accidentally shot once of thier own (I DO CARE THAT THEY HAD A FRIENDLY FIRE FATALITY. I should clarify that I am saying that point isnt what Im talking about.) , that asshole needed to die right then and there. they did the job and got it done, regardless if they WANTED to start the house on fire or not.

I highly doubt the intruder set it, myself, and that picture LOOKS like its a closed house burning. that I CAN tell you. the doors are all shut from the way the flames are exiting the building and the lack of them and smoke from other windows..