Bought new Saiga 308 today

I bought a new-in-box Saiga 308 16" synthetic at a gunshow today for $269. Several vendors offered the same gun/price. I saw lots of .223 & 7.62x39 models for $229. I guess that's typical for the Atlanta area.

The rifle came with one mag, an instruction manual and that's it. A friend's 308 came with some sort of pin taped to the mag; mine didn't. The thing is though, under "Direction for Disassembly..." on page 11, the manual states "...turn the gas tube cotter pin upwards with the aid of the accessories container...". What accessories container? What did your new-in-box Saiga come with? Also, I noticed that the foregrip seems to be made of a different material than the stock, with a rougher, grainier feel. Normal ? I know I didn't pay for pretty, just want to be sure I got everything I did pay for.

I plan to put a few rounds through it before I jump into the PG conversion, just to be sure everything works. A warranty claim might be a tough sell on a converted gun!

Thanks

it's the gun cleaning kit! you know, round tube with a brush, cloth holder, some weird screw driver looking thing(i think its a site adjustor), a punch for the firing pin and extrctor. it has slots all the way around it and you use it to get more leverage on that studpind gas tube lever.

YOU SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN a cleaning rod too!!!! to put the brush and cloth holder on!!!!

here I found a picture you shouldhave gotten a cleaning rod too!!!!!

post-6-1095113881.jpg

Thanks guys. Yeah, that's what I thought it was. My Chinese SKS came with a similiar kit and cleaning rod. I just wasn't sure if that sort of self-supporting-in-the-field stuff would come with a "sporting rifle". Anyway, I've got phone calls to make. That's the downside of buying at a gunshow. The vendor is 100 miles away.

I looked at my friend's Saiga today. His synthetic furniture is identical to mine, same grainy finish and slightly grayish color to the forearm, so I'm cool with that.

This is my first AK type weapon and I'm totally impressed with the simplicity of the thing. Can't wait to shoot it !

I e-mailed EAA about the missing stuff from my NIB rifle and haven't received a reply. I seem to remember tho that Cocoa, Fla. was mentioned re the recent hurricaines, so I'll cut 'em some slack on that account.

Got a chance to shoot 'bout 30 rounds for the first time today. It's going to hurt in the morning! Seriously tho, friends and I were all impressed with this rifle. I had some sight adjustment problems, but that's small stuff. Everybody ought to own one of these!

I paid $239 for my 16" 308 in Texas. Too good to pass up and I love it. Went to the local mickey mouse gun show in Austin today and saw a guy selling the wood stocked Saigas for $600-750! I almost told him that he was a dumbass but I figured anybody who bought at those prices are dumbasses themselves. I want the accessory kit if EAA replies back to you.

• 2 weeks later...

Boy do I feel stupid. Today I discovered that my email settings have been hosed since August, so if EAA tried to reply to me, the message went God knows where. I still haven't heard from them, of course, but it's my fault, not theirs. I'll try again to find out what's supposed to be in the box.

hmm i got my saiga 308 for 300$ even at a gunshow in PA.i saw 223. and 7.62x39 ones for around 229$i've not seen any saigas for sale here in the PR of nj.thing is i bought the rifle from a guy walkin round tryin to sell it,basicly a private deal.which i don't pay tax and backround check call fees.so far i've had no trouble what so ever with the rifle.i even got a psop 4 power range finding scope with illuminated recticle.got the lil battery and it lights up!shot a half dollar sized group at 50 yards with portiguese nato surplus and aussie nato stuff too.i don't recall gettin a lil cleaning kit either,but my rifle came with a sling.but i guess it doesn't bother memuch since the same type of cleaning kit came with my wasr10 hi cap ak. :super:

I think the guys at EAA or Izhmash are getting lazy. When I got mine, I special ordered it. I saw the gun dealer cut the plastic wrap off the box and open it for the first time. I got home and had nothing to show but a rifle, instruction manual and a punch. No sling, cleaning rod, or cleaning kit. :huh:

Something odd is going on.

I just bought a 308 yesterday at the San Antonio gun show. Only accesory I got with it was the punch.

There were three I saw at the show, two new black stock 16" ($310 and $369) and a used wood stock $399!

Also got a brick of the Portugese and was told by the vendor he would not be able to get any more.

I haven't tried it out yet, but I am very happy to own one of these rifles. I did a lot of research before deciding that the Saiga was the best gun for the money. I wanted an AK action and also I wanted 308.

• 1 month later...