S12 Stovepipes/FTF's

My S12 is one of those that won't cycle light loads on the #1 gas setting, but now it's beginning to stovepipe even on the #2 setting as well. Seems to happen with the 5 round mags and the 10 rounders. Some troubleshooting advice from some of the Saiga Sages here would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :smoke:

My S12 is one of those that won't cycle light loads on the #1 gas setting, but now it's beginning to stovepipe even on the #2 setting as well. Seems to happen with the 5 round mags and the 10 rounders. Some troubleshooting advice from some of the Saiga Sages here would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any suggestions! :smoke:

cleaning time?

mine did it too... at 500 rounds

Field strip it, lube the rails, bolt, and fcg some, clean the gas system completely (including poking out the gas ports in the barrel), run a bronze brush thru the gas tube and manifold, use emory cloth to clean the outside of the piston til it moves freely and you here magic kaklunk sound when tipping shotte. Screw plug in all the way and back out to #2. Done.

BAM! Thanks Cobra & MC! I'm sure that a "thorough" cleaning will improve things. Any suggestions about modding the "feeding ramp" of the barrel? I saw a couple of mentions about that. Recommended? Thanks again guys for the quick responses!

BAM! Thanks Cobra & MC! I'm sure that a "thorough" cleaning will improve things. Any suggestions about modding the "feeding ramp" of the barrel? I saw a couple of mentions about that. Recommended? Thanks again guys for the quick responses!

hell i used my toothbrush on the piston...

anyone need a toothbrush... like new

Yes.

After removing the gas selector/stopper, remove the bolt and take a cleaning rod and push it down the gas tube. Feel down in there to ensure the tip doesnt catch on a lip or anything.

Just smack the end of the cleaning rod with something of mass to tap out that piston (no worries...just smack it out).

Clean, scrape, and otherwise make it smooth again.

~Steve

Yes.

After removing the gas selector/stopper, remove the bolt and take a cleaning rod and push it down the gas tube. Feel down in there to ensure the tip doesnt catch on a lip or anything.

Just smack the end of the cleaning rod with something of mass to tap out that piston (no worries...just smack it out).

Clean, scrape, and otherwise make it smooth again.

~Steve

Thanks Steve,

You and all of this board have been very helpful. I hope I have the chance to be as much help to others as you have been to me!

+10

~M

If you clean the manifold out you can usually use the bolt carrier to smack the piston out at least far enough to grab with your hand and pull out. just unscrew the plug and remove it, push the piston all the way back, pull back the charging handle and let it fly. Sometimes it takes a few times but it works naturally without boogering up the contact surface.

mccumber1916 try Hopps #9...great cologne :smoke:

If you clean the manifold out you can usually use the bolt carrier to smack the piston out at least far enough to grab with your hand and pull out. just unscrew the plug and remove it, push the piston all the way back, pull back the charging handle and let it fly. Sometimes it takes a few times but it works naturally without boogering up the contact surface.

Thanks for the tip Cobe. Oh, and the cleaning tip also. :smoke:

i love the smell of cordite in the morning

"mccumber1916 try Hopps #9...great cologne"

Trust me, this works great. I was cleaning guns and visiting one evening and grabbed the Hoppes #9 instead of my beer. It smelled wonderful but kind of burned going down. :eek: Unfortunately, a true story.

that'll break the turds loose