Polished Bolt Carrier

You can Duracoat right over the top. You may want to rough it up a bit with some sanding. Duracoat comes in a stainless steel color that might give you the look you're after. It would protect the part very well from rust.

Also, if you end up blasting/sanding and want to keep that look, you can use the Duracoat Clearcoat to protect the part from rust without changing the sanded/brushed look.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I've been planning on doing this, but I've not been able to find the "Nevr- Dul" that is referenced on the Cross-con site. I did find some silicon-impregnated cloth made by Hoppes though. Would that be sufficient?

I like the idea of the shiny safety, squirrel, I may have to do that to mine. We'll see.

Acer

Hey guys, I've been planning on doing this, but I've not been able to find the "Nevr- Dul" that is referenced on the Cross-con site. I did find some silicon-impregnated cloth made by Hoppes though. Would that be sufficient?

I like the idea of the shiny safety, squirrel, I may have to do that to mine. We'll see.

Acer

Tread carefully! The safety is several times more difficult than the bolt carrier. Just look at all those "tread marks" on the end and you'll see why it's so much work. I still wish mine was done right, but for now I'll hafta live with it.

Tread carefully! The safety is several times more difficult than the bolt carrier. Just look at all those "tread marks" on the end and you'll see why it's so much work. I still wish mine was done right, but for now I'll hafta live with it.

Well, I plan on using blueing remover, and some stainless steel, so I don't think the intricacies will be a problem. I'm more worried about rust. Thanks for the warning.

Acer

Acer

I found the never dull in the automotive section at Wal-Mart, it comes in a silver and black tin. They may have it in the household cleaner or paint isle's too.

Never dull is available at ace hardware. But beware... with the right amount of elbow grease you can use the stuff to put a high polish on anything. Kind of addictive. The Navy uses alot of the stuff to polish brass and aluminium. Ever been aboard a navy ship? All that shiny brass? ...Never Dull. Lots of bored sailors under orders to keep EVERYTHING at a high shine.

Never dull is available at ace hardware. But beware... with the right amount of elbow grease you can use the stuff to put a high polish on anything. Kind of addictive. The Navy uses a lot of the stuff to polish brass and aluminum. Ever been aboard a navy ship? All that shiny brass? ...Never Dull. Lots of bored sailors under orders to keep EVERYTHING at a high shine.

Gah! My cramped hands! :cryss: I just got finished polishing the carrier, and it's beautiful! You're totally right about it being addictive. I must say though, the blue remover doesn't just dissolve the blue like I thought it would, I had to use a wire bristle dremel attachment in my drill to abrade most of it off.

Acer