I'm want to CDR my AK! Send your best options

S! ALL!

I'm looking to put my AK into a Civil Derfense role. I'd like your suggestions. Here's what I want:

I want better sights..be it Hi-Viz iron vs Optics. I'm leaning heavily towards a HI-VIS/night sight- iron sight setup so if you got and use..tell!

Magazines! I need many and would prefer not to do a learning curve. My Polish were sweet fitting in my SAR1 til they all began to crack..slowly but surely.

Slings and mounts: Not a high priority but I'd like to hear what you like.

Maybe at this point I should tell what I have and want I want-yes? I have an old SAR1 that I started with when I found this website. I replaced the trigger and slap with a G2 and attempted to repair the canted FSB (I a'int no gunsmith) but it shoots straight..still a concern, though. Maybe a tack weld? I replaced the non-folding Romy with a folding..which I love! You can blast away about no cheek weld and/or hate the taste of cosmolene BUT I love that wire folder...and the taste grows on ya.

I need a mag carry on the stock..cuz it a'int legal to have it loaded...less you are smart enuff to see the writing on the wall and are a LEO. This is to be my: Bring a rifle to a revolver fight-gun...or "I thought we decided that food in my shed WAS for my family" - first- rifle.

I'm running scared after reading the lastest news across the country.

OK for a AK I'd say either a Kobra optic or a PK-AS. You can get them from Tantal or from Kalinka Optics, you can PM me for the IP addresses, I don't remember the rules for posting links to sales websites. If you get these side mount style, make sure you ahve a side mount bracket on your AK. Or some kind of picatinny mount and get the appropriate version of you optic of choice.

I just ordered a PK-AS-S, also known as a BARS, from Tantal its the version of the PK-AS that mounts to the left of the rifle bore center line. I got the PK-AS over the Kobra because when the power on it is switch off it features a black dot with no magnification, and when switched on a red dot with no magnification. The Kobra has the advantage that it is one of those holographic window style versus a tube style similar to a scope, but has no black dot and must be turned on to function. If I'm wrong on that someone please correct me. Another advantage of the Kobra is there is a model that accepts double "A" batteries instead of the LR44 watch batteries like the PK-AS.

For the magazines, I did the magazine latch modification that allows you to use stadard AK mags. I use surplus mags from skirmish in Kosovo we had not to long ago. Got the from Sportsmans guide for like 6$ each. They were all steel, some had like rust and pitting and all were thoroughly coated in cosmoline. The steel ones are cheap and highly durable. I soaked them in this stuff I got at Sams Club called "550". It's a grease cutter. Basically I filled a bucket up with this stuff, grabbed a few brushes and a towel you don't care about throwing away. I threw my mags straight in the bucket for like a half hour to soak. This loosens the cosmoline in the mags and makes them easier to take apart. Then disassemble the mags and scrub away, rinse with water and dry with the towel using the towel to get any cosmo you may have missed. Don't waste your time washing the towel I just pitched it in the trash. You can throw them in the BBQ grill to dry as well, that will aslo help loosen any missed cosmo.

If you want get a reblueing kit and reblue them or do like I did and get some self etching primer and high temp paint and paint them. Preferably something with a rust inhibitor, like Rustolium (sp?). On painting mags, it may not stick 100%, don't paint inside them either, I coat the insides of my mags with a light coat of WD-40. And don't go willy nilly with paint on the feed lip tops or sides it may make them not fit in the magwell of the gun. If the paint flakes off on the lips, fret not, it's just going to happen.

Polymer mags are nice for photos, but I don't trust my life on them. Just my preference.

As far as a mag carry on the gun, look for just that, a strap on mag carry for a gun. They sell thhem for AR-15 and such, but I don't know if they would fit a 30 round AK mag. It should fit a 20 round though, no promises, and if you need anything more than 20 rounds, you better have a chest rig or armor carrier with 4-6 mags. I run anywhere from 4-8 mags depending on my loadout in my armor carrier and duration of exercise. You can get a super cheap AK mag carrier from Cheaper Than Dirt. They have MOLLE versions and a Korean version for like 20$. I run the MOLLE version as I have medic and surgical packs, water bladder, pistol mags, radio pouch, and other miscellaneous items attached to it, knife, flashlight, earplugs, and the like.

Now that I think about it you might want to consider a light for your gun as well, I plan to get a Znich, its Russian and runs on "AA" batteries. But I've seen Iraqis around here using cheap Chinese dollar store flashlights and ducttape. If it works, it works. Hope this helps, if you have any questions feel free to ask, and if anyone sees I told an innacuracy please correct me its the only way I and NedPepper will learn.