Well ya'll I've hunted all morning looking for information on this so I thought I'd ask ya'll here. Me and the little lady are getting ready to buy some land and build a house. Ideally I like to be able to shoot the Saigas on my land without having to worry about paying, one shot every 3 seconds or any of that crap. I'm willing to build a dirt berm and setup like a personal 2 person range. But I don't know the legalities of doing this in Texas. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Unless it's changed. most rural counties don't have any restrictions. Brother lives 5 miles out of Lubbock. County clerk's office should have any info you need. If by chance under a city, check there. Some cities have stretch thier boundries 15 to 20 miles out in order to get tax revenue off new/future development. :smoke:

Thats a good idea, I'll remember that before we make a bid on property. We are still looking right now, so I wouldn't know where to call, which city that is. Say while we are at this, I'm sure its everyones dream on this forum to have their own private range. Why not help me design mine? I was planning on doing a CAD drawing of the range so I could do some cost estimates and I have a good idea for the design. But does anyone have anything they have seen at the range where they thought, "Wow, well why didn't I think of that?" I'm won't be installing the electric target returns, but I was thinking about building the shooting area cover so I could load dirt on top of it and plant grass in it. You know in case someone discharges straight up it would embeed in the dirt or at least slow its velocity some.

That's why I kind of like where I live, there is little flat ground, and a lot of naturally formed berms. I shoot at my friends farms, One friend has a natural berm that is about 30 feet tall, another has a rolling hill probably close to 100 feet tall... and these guys farm these hills, quite crazy to see where they will drive a combine tractor.. lol kind of nerve racking.

This will give you an idea of the terrain:

http://www.whitman.edu/geology/hills.jpg

I don't know about TX, but in NY there's no problem doing a personal shooting range as long as you're not shooting across a road.

I have a 50-75yd range out back, limited by the size of my berm. (could probably use it for 100 yds, but I'd hate to have something happen and send a .308 round over the top and into someone's heiffer.)

I really ought to catch the road crew next time they scrape the ditches and tell them where to dump their fill.

where I live in new yark, it is illegal to discharge a centerfire rifle in my county without 40 acres of land behind it. this is the rich man's clause, that permeates all of our local laws and regulations here. also, you need permission from any person or persons with a dwelling within 500 feet of the fire lane, and also must shoot 250 feet away from any road. thats here, though, but I think the 500 and 250 foot rules apply to you down there, as well.

I shoot everything from 22's to elephant guns about 100 feet from the road, right next to houses. the cops dont bother us. Im half expecting the governor to show up one day on the weekend, or send his SS troops over to fuck with us. they already came by and photographed all of us after the governor moved in up the street. so far, they havent bothered us, but I dont think that will continue for much longer.

but to get to your topic, I see it was answered for you, and the local sherriff will know the local law on that type of stuff. me personally? I keep my guns NY compliant, and THATS IT.

I've been thinking about the same thing on my 5 acres. One thing I have seriously considered is making a long term investment in a couple of suppressors. Makes it more pleasant for everyone involved. Your hearing is protected since you will be shooting more and it gives potential crybabies/busybodies less to whine about.

DocV

Bvamp beat me too it, check with the Sheriff since its a county matter, and if he doesn't seem to know the laws very well try the Attorney General. In Kentucky if you live in the county you can shoot anywhere on your own land, just not close to a road. No requirements for backstops, neighbor's permission, etc. I expect Texas is the same.

Suppressors are also a good idea if you don't want to disturb anyone close by. Rifle cans are't really hearing safe so you still need ear plugs, but pistols work really well.

I'd suggest watching alot of competition video online and get ideas. If you have hills on three sides you can make some really cool courses :)

This is all hear say, but, supposedly the "magic numbers" for Texas is 10 acres for shotgun, 50 acres for rifle. Supposedly, the city and your neighbors can't say shit if you have this much property. But, if you're in a rural area and you get it ok'd with your neighbors, no one is gonna bother you. You may want to pm member STEVE467, I think he's done the research in Texas.

Again, I must emphasize, that "theory" is all from "shooting range lawyers". I would ask a range owner, he's probably done the research.

Edited by shaneman153a

Wow thanks for all the reply's guys. I'll try PMing STEVE467. I don't think neighbors should be an issue, me and the wife are talking about moving to such a secluded location that there isn't a power pole for miles. She has me researching propane powered generators right now. The range that I've been to in the area doesn't have a lot of land and runs parallel to a major interstate. Their berms are only about 10-15 feet high, and the probably have neighbors next to them like 600 ft from the range. This is looking better all the time, the wife gave the OK on it. Said it would probably wind up being cheaper for us, plus I can dig out the lead and sell it, and pick up all my steel cases and sells those to the recycling company.

I would say you're gonna have to go to your local authorities. Laws vary from each state and juristiction. Unless you know someone that will live real close to you that knows. Cobra can shoot at his house. I live 8 miles away and can't here. He has alot of land and good, safe places to shoot. I don't. I have 1/4 acre and no safe direction to shoot. That's why, when I buy a gun, I want to be sure it doesn't go through the perp into an innocent bystander, like my son.

OK well I PMed Steve, hopefully he'll answer. I've got some work to do, but then I'll take some time to do a CAD drawing of my idea, make a .jpg of it and upload it. While I'm at it I guess I could upload my 7.62x39 drawing I did in CAD. Totally 3D, and completely to scale. Well due to an increase in my work load all of a sudden, I can't do my full 3D redering of the range but I will post the bullet I drew just for kicks and hopefully I can ge the range designs up sometime in the near future.

post-5131-1178108063_thumb.jpg

post-5131-1178108085_thumb.jpg

Edited by Deamon

"An occasional mix of training on a three-dimensional target, such as clothed mannequins, preformed targets,

and other devices limited only by imagination, may better demonstrate and encourage personnel to

exercise critical-thinking skills for delivering optimal shot placement and effective ness. An example is

a shooting scenario requiring accurate shot placement on a three-dimensional target at an adverse angle

substantially different from the usual 90-degree target placement in many training scenarios due to range

design, safety, and economy of training resource time.

Economical, three-dimensional reaction targets made of cardboard to resemble a torso are available.

These targets, suspended by heavy string or cord to one or two inflated balloons inside the body of the

device, can become lifelike by placing old clothing, such as a shirt or jacket, on the exterior. When one

or both of the bal loons are struck by a bullet, the balloon pops and the target drops from its suspended

position. Such an exercise emphasizes that the officer must aim at a distinct spot on the torso to achieve

incapacitation, rather than merely shooting at the entire target."

Now there's a novel idea for your new private range. It comes from an FBI article called One Shot Drops, Surviving the myth at http://www.agtiger.com/~gwa45/pictures/1SS-MYTH.pdf

I would be careful with building a "private range". Some insurance companies get their panties in a wad over that, and may even try to charge you more for your home owners insurance, or may cancel it all together.

OK, here's the deal in Texas. In 2005 a law was passed that protected us shootin' folks from encroaching city limits. Basically if you have 10 acres for shotgun and 50 for centerfire you can (supposedly) never be restricted from shooting. Of course, this is Texas so those minimums don't really apply in most rural areas, no one could care less as long as you are safe and neighborly about it. BUt if you want the protection of law from city slickers you need 10 or 50 acres. Here's an abstract:

Shooting on agricultural land, and limits on city power to regulate shooting

SB 734 -- Amends Agriculture Code 251.002, 251.005 and Local Government Code 43.002, and adds Local Government Code 229.002.

Cities previously had unbridled authority, with no public recourse, to pass an ordinance prohibiting the discharge of a firearm, air gun or bow on any new land annexed by a city, regardless of its previous usage or lack of development. This gives landowners recourse and only effects city-annexed lands. It should help to slow down the anti-gun-rights effects of urban sprawl.

First, it limits the definition of an "agricultural operation" to a specific list of activities, and adds silviculture (development and care of forests) and wildlife management to the existing list. The law previously was not limited to the activities on the list.

Because some city regulations could affect shooting, certain controls are expanded and described in greater detail than previously, to help limit abuse. A city in general may not regulate anything on the redefined agricultural operations outside its boundaries, or that exist on newly annexed land.

Cities are also now specifically prohibited from regulating shooting on certain defined lands: 1 - if the gun is a shotgun, air gun, BB gun or bow and arrow, on 10 acres or more and not within 150 feet of a residence or occupied building on another property, if it is fired in a way that is unlikely to cross a property line, or 2 - for a centerfire or rim fire pistol or rifle of any caliber on 50 acres, not within 300 feet of a residence or occupied building on another property, and in a way not likely to cross a property line. The defined lands include those within the extraterritorial jurisdiction of a city, or areas annexed after Sep. 1, 1981.

Don't forget that in some states you or your heirs, if you pass the land on to them, will be responsible for enviromental clean-up of the lead if the property is sold.

That is, of course, if anybody knows there was a "shooting range" there. :angel:

DocV