Doublestack Mags

Just gauging interest, I was thinking about how to do it and may have come up with a solution. Would anyone have much interest in these?

Very much so. The AGP mags tend to eat away at them selves when a lot of rounds go through them. I found that if you take the spring out and turn it around backwards it still feeds fine and reduces the speed at which the interior of the body eats away as the spring and rounds rub against it. Slows it but does not stop it.

Just gauging interest, I was thinking about how to do it and may have come up with a solution. Would anyone have much interest in these?

Yeah I always wondered why this wasn't introduced as a solution to the "evil drum" idea.

I think a double or even a triple stack mag would be great. There are thing to work out with the design. I thought i=on it for awhile. You would probably have to go with 2 3/4 or 3 inch only though. It would be tricky to work in the track that holds the rim if you wanted it to fire both. You would have to work out a sepeate colum running down the interior of the mag to hol the rims on both sides of the rounds. This would be a very trick thing to work into a mold, even if you went with 2 halfs like agp. And then you might have serious converging problems when it reached the top and you had to let the track run out in the middle.

I thought that the best way would be to make a mag with no track other than at the very top for the tower. You might could make a removable insert for the front interior of the mag. If you wanted to use 3 inch you would take it out. If you wanted to use 2 3/4 you would slide it in to take up the extra room. The same idea could be used for a triple stack mag.

You would have to make it converge like your typical double stack automatic pistol mag. It couldn't be like a ak or ar mag where the rounds sat to one or the other side of the mag.

Actually a triple stack mag probably wouldn't be much hard than a double stack. You could buy a 9mm spectre mag to help get an idea of how to do the follower. It is a quad stack mag.

Also, If you used the insert idea.... You would have to shorten the follower in the front so it would operate with the insert in. You would have to modife the follower so it wouldn't go to the front of the mag also with the insert removed. It would call for a tab on each side of the follower to ride the follower track up to hold it back and not allow it to move forward.

Yepper! Always looking for mags, drums, nlfd, belt-feed options, and sundry other fun stuff. :super::super::super:

Hmmm another mag option. But do I really need MORE mags? ...of course I would want more mags!

YEEha! Fun stuff! :devil:

Ok my Little bit, I do have an 16 round mag it is long but it works great but if I had a double stack that was shorter and hold 16 rounds, I would buy 10 of them the price of the 2 AGP mags then cut them and weld them together, you still have to wonder how many time it hit the ground when will it break. Just my little bit.

Edited by mark78410
Ok my Little bit, I do have an 16 round mag it is long but it works great but if I had a double stack that was shorter and hold 16 rounds, I would buy 10 of them the price of the 2 AGP mags then cut them and weld them together, you still have to wonder how many time it hit the ground when will it break. Just my little bit.

"if I had a double stack that was shorter and hold 16 rounds, I would buy 10 of them the price of the 2 AGP mags" Sorry to be confused, but could you restate that? I am really interested in what your saying that I didn't understand. :bag:

I too have examined what it would take to make a doublestack 12ga mag. It is daunting, but:

IF you made a double stack 10rd mag that was as tall as the 5rd mag, I would consider it far superior to a single stack 10rd mag.

IF you made a double stack 20rd mag that was as tall as the single stack 10rd mag, I would be far more interested in it than a 12ga drum.

So IF you have actually factored in all the variables and have a solution, then by all means make them!

Double stack seems like it would be better in several ways, shorter would be less unweildy, and likely put less stress where the mag meets the gun.

with the rim issues, could you get one to be reliable? I've never looked at the DE pistol mags, and I don't know if they are reliable or not....

Double stack seems like it would be better in several ways, shorter would be less unweildy, and likely put less stress where the mag meets the gun.

with the rim issues, could you get one to be reliable? I've never looked at the DE pistol mags, and I don't know if they are reliable or not....

The rims have been mentioned a couple times. The rims wouldn't be an issue. They would have (next to) no choice but to be stagged in the right order. The single stack mags do it . The double would do it fine as well. Where the rim would be come an issue is if you wanted to go belt feed. :devil: But even then it could be worked out like the russians did with the 7.62x54.

I too have examined what it would take to make a doublestack 12ga mag. It is daunting, but:

IF you made a double stack 10rd mag that was as tall as the 5rd mag, I would consider it far superior to a single stack 10rd mag.

IF you made a double stack 20rd mag that was as tall as the single stack 10rd mag, I would be far more interested in it than a 12ga drum.

So IF you have actually factored in all the variables and have a solution, then by all means make them!

A triple stack would be even better. I messed with a triple stack 18rder idea. It was basically as long as the a 8rder.

If you did a double stack 10 it would have to be slightly longer than a 5rder. Same with the 20 double to 10 single.

"if I had a double stack that was shorter and hold 16 rounds, I would buy 10 of them the price of the 2 AGP mags" Sorry to be confused, but could you restate that? I am really interested in what your saying that I didn't understand. :bag:

He ment he would pay 100 to 120 for the doble stack because he already has that wrapped up into his high cap single stack.

Sure, absolutely I'd be interested in one. Anything to help piss off the Brady Bunch! (Also I'm hoping that the expertise gained by engineering this one will eventually bring us closer to a quad-stack 90 rounder!)

The rims have been mentioned a couple times. The rims wouldn't be an issue. They would have (next to) no choice but to be stagged in the right order. The single stack mags do it . The double would do it fine as well. Where the rim would be come an issue is if you wanted to go belt feed. :devil: But even then it could be worked out like the russians did with the 7.62x54.

Am I the only one who's gotten alittle exited with all of the BELT FED talk? To hell with double, tripple, fourple mags. I WANT A BELT CONVERSION!

Am I the only one who's gotten alittle exited with all of the BELT FED talk? To hell with double, tripple, fourple mags. I WANT A BELT CONVERSION!

Tony said once it could be done...................................for only about $100,000 in development. Maybe if things go well with the drum It can look into it. I have very little concept of belt feed tech myself, but could hire someone maybe... That would be one awesome conversion part to buy!!!!!!!!! That would be bliss.

Edited by Mike Davidson

For a belt fed 12ga, forget the Saiga and start with an MG design. Resize it and redesign to semi-auto only.

Simple. Just costly.

Figure $100k = a year of engineering + 3-D design software licences + prototype machining.

Might get one, two, or three prototypes at that price.

Considering that some people pay tens of thousands for a registered MG, this is not a far stretch either. Someone just has to do it.

Then they could be produced for a measly $10k each or so. Seriously, that's not really all that bad either. Considering that some people pay a quarter that price for a high grade medium caliber AR. And a majority of that price for a Barrett M82A1.

This for something that fires only one shot per trigger pull, but many projectiles per shot.

Me? My holy grail of shotguns would be hopper fed. No belt or mag to load. Just a port to dump the shells in.

Does anyone know exactly how those Spectre mags work? Is it like two parallel staggered mags with a centering device at the top, or is it more like a flattened out beta mag with two u-shaped channels? Does that make sense? Is this a stupid question? Feel free to ignore me as necessary.

Does anyone know exactly how those Spectre mags work? Is it like two parallel staggered mags with a centering device at the top, or is it more like a flattened out beta mag with two u-shaped channels? Does that make sense? Is this a stupid question? Feel free to ignore me as necessary.

I have never messed with one. I would love to see how they worked it out. Maybe dummy rounds, maybe some kind of folding follower????? I have looked for one for sale off and on for the past year or so. Hard to find, most only sell with the pistol.

Edited by Mike Davidson