Valmet Ejection Buffer works great!

Hey all. Shot my stock .223 20" today for the first time. I ordered a Valmet ejection port buffer and decided to test it out, take a look:gallery_4097_142_59721.jpggallery_4097_142_35698.jpg -Look Ma, no dents!

I shot about 50 rounds, well actualy 49. I was shooting crappy remanufactured stuff and one round went click instead of boom- when I tried to extract it the next round got smooshed. Anyhow acuracy at 30Yards (all that was avaliable) was nothing to speak of, best group was 2" across- remanufactured ammo and unsupported standing shooting position are likely to blame. Oh right and me as well. I shot tighter leaning on the table, but it was no bench rest. The brass flung 45 degrees to my right most of the time, I got a few bounce back and hit my support hand- no concern there. Anyhow the Valmet buffer worked like a charm- no dents! Would I recomend that you go out an buy one....? Maybe if you shoot a lot of actual brass (not steel) and reload a lot as well, then yes the 45$ + shipping might be justified, a few cases down the road. But if you're a casual shooter, not a reloader or shoot mostly steel... I would say wait. The aformentioned buffer is in the mail as well speak, hopefully its recipient (a member here) will be making their own version in the vague future.

As for my first time shooting the Saiga, I freaking love it! the .223 20" handles a lot like an SKS but at least 2lbs lighter and the recoil is mild to say the least. In a t-shirt I would put 80 rounds through an SKS and feel some ache later, nothing bad just some tenderness- but the Saiga I shot 50 rounds and barely noticed. This is probably a great rifle to let friends and girlfriends try. I've considered a conversion, but now I probably won't go through with it... it's to perfect as- is. Maybe I will do a sporter conversion at some point, but I hate the idea of drilling into those perfectly formed russian rivets. I would have liked tighter groups at such short range, but I've got at least three things I can blame that on, myself included. I love the smell of powder and russian shipping grease. I was next to a guy firing an nice SKS, his seemed louder- could have been the way the place was arranged though- the .223 was not the ear-splitter I had heard warnings about, earplugs were ample protection. WHAT!? IS SAID EARPLUGS WERE... nevermind.

• Like 1

No problem:

gallery_4097_142_79737.jpg

It attaches to the reciever cover at the rear most point of the ejection port, where it curves down and becomes the bolt handle slot.

Edited by JK-47
  • Like 2
Hey all. Shot my stock .223 20" today for the first time. I ordered a Valmet ejection port buffer and decided to test it out, take a look:gallery_4097_142_59721.jpggallery_4097_142_35698.jpg -Look Ma, no dents!

I shot about 50 rounds, well actualy 49. I was shooting crappy remanufactured stuff and one round went click instead of boom- when I tried to extract it the next round got smooshed. Anyhow acuracy at 30Yards (all that was avaliable) was nothing to speak of, best group was 2" across- remanufactured ammo and unsupported standing shooting position are likely to blame. Oh right and me as well. I shot tighter leaning on the table, but it was no bench rest. The brass flung 45 degrees to my right most of the time, I got a few bounce back and hit my support hand- no concern there. Anyhow the Valmet buffer worked like a charm- no dents! Would I recomend that you go out an buy one....? Maybe if you shoot a lot of actual brass (not steel) and reload a lot as well, then yes the 45$ + shipping might be justified, a few cases down the road. But if you're a casual shooter, not a reloader or shoot mostly steel... I would say wait. The aformentioned buffer is in the mail as well speak, hopefully its recipient (a member here) will be making their own version in the vague future.

As for my first time shooting the Saiga, I freaking love it! the .223 20" handles a lot like an SKS but at least 2lbs lighter and the recoil is mild to say the least. In a t-shirt I would put 80 rounds through an SKS and feel some ache later, nothing bad just some tenderness- but the Saiga I shot 50 rounds and barely noticed. This is probably a great rifle to let friends and girlfriends try. I've considered a conversion, but now I probably won't go through with it... it's to perfect as- is. Maybe I will do a sporter conversion at some point, but I hate the idea of drilling into those perfectly formed russian rivets. I would have liked tighter groups at such short range, but I've got at least three things I can blame that on, myself included. I love the smell of powder and russian shipping grease. I was next to a guy firing an nice SKS, his seemed louder- could have been the way the place was arranged though- the .223 was not the ear-splitter I had heard warnings about, earplugs were ample protection. WHAT!? IS SAID EARPLUGS WERE... nevermind.

With my stock Siaga .223 that has no recoil pad I can shoot in a t-shirt and never feel a thing. I have put about 300 rounds through it in one session. After 300 rounds I felt nothing. Now I'm not claiming to be superman. I'm just starting to think that there isn't enough compression in the ammo I have been shooting. I have mostly been shooting WOLF .223. What are you shooting? Like I siad I don't claim to be Superman, if I do 100 rounds of 30-06 I feel it. I Have shot my buddies pistol grip Mossberg 500, and I feel it in the wrist.

...I have mostly been shooting WOLF .223. What are you shooting? Like I siad I don't claim to be Superman, if I do 100 rounds of 30-06 I feel it. I Have shot my buddies pistol grip Mossberg 500, and I feel it in the wrist.

I bought a lot of the Malaysian 'NATO-spec' 5.56 when it was available (years ago), and it seems to have a little more zip than some of the other 5.56/.223 I've tried. If you're shooting .30-06 or 12 gauge, that's really kind of like comparing apples to oranges. You would have to bump the 5.56 bullet weights WAY up (or drop the .30-06/12 gauge projectile weights WAY down) to be able to compare recoil, and at that point, it would become a matter of comparing velocities (as well as the weight of the firearms).

In other words, recoil is mostly a product of three things (which you probably already know, sorry for repeating it):

1) As bullet weight (projectile) weight goes up, recoil goes UP;

2) As velocity goes up, recoil goes UP; and

3) As the weight of the firearm goes up, recoil goes DOWN.

Another variable would be a muzzle brake - but from what I hear, they work best with relatively light-weight projectiles at high velocities.

FWIW, your mileage may vary, etc., etc.

;>)

With my stock Siaga .223 that has no recoil pad I can shoot in a t-shirt and never feel a thing. I have put about 300 rounds through it in one session. After 300 rounds I felt nothing. Now I'm not claiming to be superman. I'm just starting to think that there isn't enough compression in the ammo I have been shooting. I have mostly been shooting WOLF .223. What are you shooting? Like I siad I don't claim to be Superman, if I do 100 rounds of 30-06 I feel it. I Have shot my buddies pistol grip Mossberg 500, and I feel it in the wrist.

If you are looking for a shoulder stomper, you got the wrong gun. Saiga .223's don't have any recoil. The AK design mixed with the .223 equals an easy shooting weapon. You can shoot it all day and never feel any pain in your shoulder or your wallet when compared to some other calibers.

If you are looking for a shoulder stomper, you got the wrong gun. Saiga .223's don't have any recoil. The AK design mixed with the .223 equals an easy shooting weapon. You can shoot it all day and never feel any pain in your shoulder or your wallet when compared to some other calibers.

Thats what I thought, the 7.62 is the same to. They are easy put a egg between your shoulder and buttstock and don't worry rifles, but I have had to people say they can start to feel it with thier Saigas so when some say the can feel it in the forum I have to check. Thanks guys

• 2 months later...

Hmm, I've got a S-308 (as you could probably guess from my nick), and I got a nice sore spot after shooting maybe 32 or 40 rounds. Does that make me a weakling, or is that maybe a sign of something else? It's completely stock (for now B) ). Running Georgia Arms 150 gr. FMJ.

• 2 weeks later...

JK-47?

Any chance You have a pic of the left/other side of the receiver on Your obviously rare dimpled .223 Saiga? Could You get a good pic of it with your 10rd .223 Izhmash mag inserted?

Also. Is it a re-mark/re-stamped 7.62x39? I've heard they made a few of the 20"S-.223's that way. Thanks in Advance!

JK-47?

Any chance You have a pic of the left/other side of the receiver on Your obviously rare dimpled .223 Saiga? Could You get a good pic of it with your 10rd .223 Izhmash mag inserted?

Also. Is it a re-mark/re-stamped 7.62x39? I've heard they made a few of the 20"S-.223's that way. Thanks in Advance!

Yeah, where'd you buy it from JK-47? I noticed the dimples right away! I'm about to buy an S-.223 in the next couple weeks, and if I can get a dimpled model I will! Of course, I want the 16.5" barrel.

Courtney

Not sure where it originated, I came into a local shop asking about one, and he called arround till he found one for me. Really nice guys in this shop, if you don't mind a lot of bad jokes. Just luck of the draw that I got a dimpled reciever.

• 8 months later...

To everyone, the pain, or pleasure, felt the next day after shooting, is unique to that person. I shoot 200 2 3/4 out of my S12 and feel nothing, 50-100 out of my Mosin, nothing, the .308/x39 are even easier.... BUt I'd classify myself as not very pain-tolerant.... If I smash a thumb or get a good cut on my hand, I start feeling dizzy instantly.... So you can be a weakling and feel no pain from shooting (like me) or be a big tough guy and still feel pain.... Everyone is different....

But on that note... If .223 is too much for yah, I hear they still make .22 short rifles in pink somewhere :haha:

And yes, I know, old post resurrection!

Edited by SaigaNoobie
  • 2 years later...