offset gasport??!

I got a NIB Saiga 16 in trade from a guy not long ago, but haven't shot it as I am waiting for the scope to arrive. Anyway, I was looking at it tonight, and cycling the action when I noticed that the freaking gasport is canted approx 5 degrees to the left!!! WTF?! I wondered why the bolt carrier was a pain to re-install. The paint is being worn off of the carrier on the left side where it's mis-a-freaking-ligned, so there's no doubt about it. I'm sure, other than crap accuracy, it would work just fine after a few hundred rounds wore a groove in the BC. But no way I want that!

Can I just hammer that POS in line with the trunion or do I have to unpin it? :cryss: This really sucks hard.

I guess that crap letter saying the rifle had passed QA/QC inspection was a commie lie!!!

Is IZHMASH russian for POS or what?

I have searched, but come up empty. Somebody tell me I'm not the only one, and that there's an easy fix. :unsure:

he means the gas block.

it can be fixed by removing the 2 pins from the block, hammering it straight, re-drilling the pin holes slightly larger, and putting slightly larger pins back in.

If it's wayyy of, you might have a problem with the gas port(the actual hole in the barrel) lining up with the gas block when you've got it straight.

Is IZHMASH russian for POS or what?

not usually. :rolleyes:

Edited by 44rdv4rk

Not the replies I wanted to hear.

The guy I got it from is good people, and he bought it locally.

I will see if maybe he can return it. Otherwise It will go bye bye. I am afraid that the actuak gas port will be

too far off after I straighten the block. This really sucks.

I don't want to badmouth these rifles, but anything that looks like this and passed QC is, well....a POS.

Like it or not.

Yep, +1 on that, my NIB 21" was that way. Didn't realize it until we chopped the barrel and tried to re-install the FSB. It was a PITA to line that thing back up. So far, I haven't noticed accuracy suffering, I didn't feel like re-drilling it, so I left it. Thanks for the tip tony, I'll have to give her a whack.

Shane

CZ...........Not a troll, just a new owner. :rolleyes: Like I said, I haven't even shot it yet.

(but you can troll my nuts for lint) :smoke:

The russian gunsmithing recommended by Tony is what I wanted to hear. I did in fact give it a little rap on the beater already, although it was halfhearted as I wasn't totally commited to that course of action.

But now, LTFO 'cause here it comes. I will report back with the good, bad, or ugly when I'm done and we can all have a laugh at my expense. :killer:

Thanks

The russian gunsmithing recommended by Tony is what I wanted to hear. I did in fact give it a little rap on the beater already, although it was halfhearted as I wasn't totally commited to that course of action.

In a terse way, that's what I was kind of getting at too...

See that hammer with the sickle on the old CCCP flag... that's your Russian precision gun smithing tool.. LOL

"Strong like bull, smart like tractor"

CZ...........Not a troll, just a new owner. :rolleyes: Like I said, I haven't even shot it yet.

(but you can troll my nuts for lint) :smoke:

But now, LTFO 'cause here it comes. I will report back with the good, bad, or ugly when I'm done and we can all have a laugh at my expense. :killer:

Thanks

My appologies. I'm a little jaded, I was spending too much time at arf.com!

Hope you get it fixed!

After firing mine yesterday, I'm having a problem with the sights needing to be maxed out to zero....maybe I have a similar problem.

I got a NIB Saiga 16 in trade from a guy not long ago, but haven't shot it as I am waiting for the scope to arrive. Anyway, I was looking at it tonight, and cycling the action when I noticed that the freaking gasport is canted approx 5 degrees to the left!!! WTF?!

Have a S-308 16" and noticed that looking down the sights with the gas tube and upper handgaurd off, mine also is tilted 4-5mm to the left. There does not appear to be any impingement of the piston on anything and the bolt/BC is fine. These are mass produced and have a wide variance in tolerances. This should not affect accuracy and any of these guys who are gunsmiths like Tony Rumore or Will Hayden, if they say it is not a problem I am cool with that. I wondered if other guns had this anomaly. Incidently my .308 is a Red Jacket conversion.

Even though it says "Saiga", it is still an AK.

It is a loose tolerance, basic weapon that has been hammered together in just about every third world country in the planet, even tunnels in Vietnam. Where precision guns have blueprints measured in +/- .0001, the AK probably says +/- 0.1.....

Some are worse than others, none are perfect, so just give it a whack and go shoot it.