Beneficiary of another's misfortune

No s***, there I was!

I stop in at one of the local gun shops, minding my own business and buying some ammo.

This guy came in who had put a gun on layaway, only to be rejected on the transfer.

Clerk A is giving him his money back while clerk B is ringing me up for my ammo.

Said guy leaves, I get curious. It was an SKS with a scope mount. I figure it's some Bubba'd

deal. I go look at it. It's an SKS type D, takes AK mags. $160. I just happen to have the money.

They usually go $300-400 if you can find them.

Here's the fun part. I fill out the papers. Clerk B calls the Feds, "Really? .......... Is that a fact?.......

Ok." hangs up phone, "You're cleared."

Me, "I got instant approval?!?!?!?!?!?!"

Him, "Pretty much, just waiting on State."

Me, "I'm parked down the street, I'm gonna move my truck up so the locals don't freak out."

Him, "Ok"

I get to the door, phone rings. State says I'm approved.

The clerk says that's the fastest approval he's ever seen. Total time, 10 minutes.

Edited by Kilroy08

In my state you have to apply for a "pistol permit" and it is either approved or not by the Sherrif's dept. You can get up to 5 at a time I believe. Each one is good for up to 5 years. You just take that with you to gunshows or gun stores and turn it in for a handgun purchase.

BUT..the cool thing is, you can just show it to the dealer and he make's a photocopy and gives it back if you want to purchase a long gun. By doing this I get to bypass the NICS check and phone calls altogether whenever I purchase a long gun from my dealer. This is a big timesaver.

I have had one of the weirdest BG checks at my local shop, as well as the fastest Ive ever heard of.

the weirdest one sorta scared me at the time, actually. the dealer was on the phone up front. gave the information, then got a concerned look on his face (I was buying two semi-auto military rifles that day), and he puts the guy on hold, hangs up the phone, tells me to wait there, goes in the back where I can still see him, hits something, the DOOR LOCKS, and he picks up the phone and gives them my description. here I am thinking OH FUCKING GREAT at this point. within about two minutes a STATE TROOPER shows up, comes in, and demands ID. it seems they had me confused with someone in my family who had threatened to shoot down the police helicopter at 230 am all drunk if they didnt get it out from over his house, about two weeks prior. the dealer put the trooper on the phone, and they came back up and explained what happened, and gave me the guns. I thought I was going to jail AGAIN for something I didnt do. scared the crap outta me, that one. even the dealer said it was the strangest background check he ever had done, and hes been in business since I can remember.

the same dealer, when I got another gun from him a few months later on a tuesday or wed. I think it was, called, gave the info, and said OK in about ten seconds, and ok'd me.

Ive only had to wait more than twenty minutes ONCE to walk out with my property.

I cant tell you how fast I have gone through a NICS check... Cause if I did... someone would get in trouble... and I dont want to rake my buddy over the coals for bragging rights...

Lets just say it was faster than any NICS check you may have had. :up:

:smoke:

it always takes me longer to fill out the form than to pass the check.

it cracks me up, since i look like a criminal, people looks very surprised when i pass so quickly. :devil:

You miss out on alot of cool people when you judge a book by its cover. You seem like an intelligent guy for a caveman.

it always takes me longer to fill out the form than to pass the check.

it cracks me up, since i look like a criminal, people looks very surprised when i pass so quickly. :devil:

You miss out on alot of cool people when you judge a book by its cover. You seem like an intelligent guy for a caveman.

ain't it the truth. most of my friends are a rowdy lookin' bunch, but real solid people. And some of the preppiest looking folks I know are really low-life scumbags underneath their veneer.

I love your new Bob Ross avatar, btw. :D

and yes, kilroy, even I can do it. :rolleyes: ...hold on, thats my mother, I'll put it on speaker.

You're momma's so.......................... uh........... a little help here......

*crickets chirping*

Back on topic now, where's a good place to get SKS D stocks?

The factory stock got trimmed a little and it feels like balsa

wood. I'd prefer another wood stock, but was thinking about

the polymer folder they've got at tickbite supply.

My main problem is that the SKS D stocks don't have the

cut out for the duckbill and the mag well is cut bigger than a standard

SKS. I could re-work a regular stock, but that'd mean I'd have to not

only trim out my wood very carefully, but I'd have to add some more in

the right places.

I've gotten my daily dose of double entendre' for the day,

Kilroy is out!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what's up with me, but as soon as they get my information for the background check, I'm cleared, like the guy doesn't even have a chance to breathe.

I also wasn't born in this country, I figured that slow it down, but nope.

Edited by jimmy_stikx