Concealed cary pistols

I posted it on the wrong place but I got my concealed permit monday. I have a FN Forty Nine , but it is a little bigger than I would like to carry,and the trigger pull is a little long and hard. Ive looked at glocks and I know they are killer guns but I just dont like the way they sit im "my" hand. I'm looking strongly at the sw-99 compact. It is small but it fits my hand like they were made in the same factory. I never see them used at any of my local dealers , I would like to shoot one befor I buy. Has anyone ever owned one or shot one. Are there any other guns I should consider. I also am considering a very small gun even though dont really like the way they sit im my hand either, like a 32 or 380 kel tek or north american arms, the price is one of the reasons. Anyone own a little gun they would place thier life in the line with? I am considering this cuz when my wife gets her CFP she would inherit the gun and then i get a different one (if i buy a 32 or 380). Thanks in advance

For Small Guns, I might suggest Kahr. they are super small and come in 9mm or .40SW

Saltpeter has one, and has said good things about his.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=1248

http://www.kahr.com/front.html

their main web site

http://www.kahr.com/new_m4048.html

MK40 product review

Edited by Verson

IM looking at the springfield xd compact now(40), guys at the local shop say the sw99 may not be that reliable. Ive never had any gun misfire uless it wasnt clean or i was using bad ammo even my wonderful saiga gets jammed if its not clean or i to much wolf goes through it (blazer .22 is the worst) So the one in a million chance it dosnt fire, you probably have in any gun ( Yes even glocks and hk's) . I dont think anyone makes a gun that just wont fire if its clean and or has good high quality ammo in it. maybe im a noob though you tell me. Another gun im looking at is the tarus 45 compact. it is only 379 and feels good in my hand. Plus i like the .45 part. what do you guys think about this gun ? Oh yeah the xd is 399. Both on sale. Give me info please im buying something befor the weekend.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/prod-xdpstl.shtml

(XD- NRA gun of the year 2003)

I've seen a couple of reviews in some mags, all positive. Seen one at the range and the guy was dead on the X every time.....

dont know much about the others your talking about,

but the XD sounds like a great deal at 399.

good luck, hope you enjoy what ever you get!

cocked and locked only looks scary, its just as safe if not safer than a DA remember theres 2 safes that have to be engaged before u go BOOM i mean like the glock safe, wtf, if the trigger gets pulled it gets pulled, any gun will go off, so whats the point aof a safe there,

remember if it was good enough for our army for 75 years its good enough for you :D

How'd I know you were going to chime in....I hear what you're saying, its a classica that'll never die! Still, I don't feel easy having hammer constantly trying to fall! And don't get me started on Glocks, in a holster they are fine, but if I shove it in my waist line, can I trust it NO!

The kimber comany hails from here also, although there 1911's are REAL expensive! they feel real good in your hand.

here's the websight:

http://www.kimberamerica.com/index2.php

.45's are their specialty. it's kinda a status symbol if you're a gun shop owner, to own one ---'round here, i guess!?!

they also make primo bolt rifles. I gues they copy the mauser action, with the hunting rifles.

funny they can make a profit with out any origonal ideas!

they don't sell assualt rifles and their handgunds are outta my price range, so I'm not any kinda loyal customer. I was drinkin' with some former employees - they weren't very happy! but they own the guns though!

• 4 weeks later...

Hard to beat a Kel-Tec in the sub-$300 market. My wife likes her P40, but they discontinued that model because many didn't have the gravitas to handle one. The P11 is a heck of a nice (and small) 9mm.

Me, I'll stick with my STI/Commander in 9 by 23.

Alex

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SaigaMan7.62unreg

No your all wrong cause the springfield 1903 was based off the Spanish Mauser that has 7.62 rounds after the Spanish and American War we saw we where out matched and took that gun desgin and used it in WW1, later some became sniper rifles in WW2 just like the Mosin Nagant to the Russians.

• 4 weeks later...

the 1903 A3 is a direct copy of the german mauser k98 down to every detail, including the magazine selector switch (which allowed the the bolt to continue functioning as it drew rnds. off the magazine or if set to single, a rnd had to be placed in the magazine everytime. this was done as to not waste ammo ) to the 3 position bolt safety. only difference is caliber .30-06 vs. 8mm which is probably comprable....the spanish mauser is guess what a copy of the german mauser. I know this because I have a Springfield 1903 A3, a german k98 and a yugo m48 which are all the same in apperance.

the 1903 was a mainstay of the military until the introduction of the m1 garand, but was still widely used even through WWII. Before the introduction of the A3 O3, the standard rifle was the Kraig-Jorgensen chambered for .30-40, with a side opening magazine.....

Now back to the original thread: if you want a gun that you can carry concealed get something you are comfortable carrying, that is the main thing. me personally I carry a full size springfield 1911 A1 with hi-cap mags. but that's just cause I'm a big big guy and it hides really well 6'4" 320lbs (so i'd say i'm bigger) (well actually blends in with my belly but same thing right?)

very good point kysoldier: single action trigger's arent the best. but my advantage from carrying my 1911 is this: .45 cal 230gr. hydra shocks + hi-cap (13rnd+1) mags with all the trimmings of a nice gun (tijicon night sights, blackjack recoil buffer, ambi-safety, extended mag release) and tons and tons of practice (had the gun for less than a year and already working on 2000 rnds.) And if i can't get a round off I can beat them with it, cause it's heavier than hell (the all metal constuction.) The only true disadvantage is the single stage trigger, which means that you have to walk around with the thing cocked and ready to rock, praying to god that your safety dont slip off, or walk around with the hammer down, but with that you have to take the time to cock your piece before you can fire......so you gotta weigh your options: personally I walk cocked and ready either concealed or in the holster.

I think my next will have to be a para-ordnance, smooth trigger and for a 1911 frame you have the option of double action. But at the same time I just bought a SIGSAUER SIGPRO SP 2340 .40 which is d/a, so i've started to carry that alot more lately....it comes down to personal prefrence and what the shooter is comfortable carrrying.

I know everyone here is into Kimbers, Springfield Armory, Glock, etc. but I just picked up a Star BM in 9mm which I'm happy to say will make a nice little CCW. As a former law enforcement officer I can remember carrying a 5 shot .38 S& W on my left ankle as a back-up piece during my detective days. I've still got it in my dresser drawer but rarely pull it out any longer. I think everyone is Right On in their choice of carry.

After all its whatever makes you feel the most comfortable and secure. The Star BM 9mm is doing that for me at this time.

• 4 weeks later...

I carried a Glock 27 for years but have down graded to a Keltec 380 which is the same size as my .32 cal keltec.

I know i would rather have my 12 gauge when the time came but in the heat of Florida the keltec hides so well.

the way i look at it is like this.

I do not think Mike Tyson could whip my ass after i shot him just once in the chest with my 380+p

ether way i have a whole magazine left if he tried.

the Glock was heavy and a pain in the ass.

I forget the Keltec is there.

I wish Glock would have made this little 6.7oz wonder but they didn't so i carry it instead.

post-20-1103857164.jpg

I have been looking at the walther p99s i haven't ever fired one but like you said about the sw99 they feel so good in the hand. If i'm not mistaken aren't the sw99 the same handgun? I have read that the walther p99 are good guns but I would like to be able to shoot one before i buy.

Humm, I'm still trying to rationalize how that Glock is too heavy and such a pain. All my handguns are bigger than that. Do you ever use a holster or just the clips?

I carried a Glock 23 for years before the 27.

they are both at least twice as wide and 3 times as heavy or at least very close to that compared to my 380.

I still carry the Glock at night or when out with my family because I perceive the threat level to be higher or at least my desire to have more fire power for defense.

Yes I have used a holster for years which makes the handgun even wider.

keep in mind that I live in Florida and dress lightly most of the year.

concealment and comfort are high on my list.

at one time I carried a 1911 and trying to keep that thing hidden was always a chore which forced me to dress appropriately.

I also like the clips much better than a holster for many reasons.