.308 or .410 ..which to get??

I have access to a Saiga in .410 for $325 and a .308 for $365. Which should I get and why? I recognize there may be a bit of bias in this thread for the .308 :)

Mag availability and cost on each??

Ammo cost and avail on each?

.308 gonna keep drying up or should it be back later??

What do you want to use it for?

The two options are about as different as it gets. Think of a 308 as a deer rifle, and a 410 as a quail/rabbit gun (on a good day - and if you're a good shot).

A 410 slug is maybe just about comparable to a light 357 magnum, but it's really not much good for deer beyond 50 yards. In some states 410 slugs are illegal for deer hunting. Accruacy with slugs is not good, compared to a rifle. With a 410 you'd need exact shot placement (and that would be tough). Deer are a good reference to 2 leggy targets because they're about the same size and weight.

On the other hand a 308 is too much for anything less than a coyote or boar, about right for deer and black bear. And a far better choice for two legged desuasion than a 410. I'm not sure you'll have any hicap options for a 410.

308 will be around forever, and most mom/pop hardware stores will have 308 ammo stocked whereas 7.62x39 might not be as available. About the only better choice you could make based on ammo availability would be a 30/06 or 12 gauge.

Given what appears to be your experience with all things saiga, you might want to start with a 7.62x39 or 223. Both of those have better hicap options and cheaper ammo costs, and go boom just about as loud as the 308.

Ok, I agree most mom and pop stores have 308 available, but how about economical 308 like Wolf or Silver Bear? Where has all that ammo gone.

Anyone know where to find economical 308? $6-7 bucks a box.

You are correct Sir. Cheapo 308 is not all that plentiful (cheap anything is getting tough to find). If you don't want to use steel cased 7.62x39 due to cost concerns, then your best option is pictured...

Edited by buckandaquarterquarterstaff
I have access to a Saiga in .410 for $325 and a .308 for $365. Which should I get and why? I recognize there may be a bit of bias in this thread for the .308 :)

I think it is a good price for the 308 but I think if you shopped around a little you could get a better price on the 410. Now that being said depending on what kind of shot and all the 410 ammo could be fairly cheap.

I've seen, within the last month, 308 Wolf FMJ $6.97/20, and I purchased 500 rounds of Silver Bear 140 gr soft point for $144+ S&H. I am curious to know if there is a member of this forum that reloads 308s and can tell me how much it costs to reload 500 rounds.

Am I the only one that thinks 325 for a .410 is way high?? I think the last time I saw them advertised was closer to $270. I could be wrong, but I could swear I saw that ad about a week ago.

See I'm not the only one that noticed that. I had told him that in my post

In the WTS section someone has a 410 for $285 shipped so you'll save a few bucks off the other price

$325 is high, I saw a .410 at a local shop about a month ago for $250, I almost bought it but I couldn't see the use so I spent the big extra on their last S12.

Unless you really want a .410, as in you want it so bad that reason has been thrown from the equation, get the .308. That said, get what makes you feel good, you probably won't be disapointed either way.

I've seen, within the last month, 308 Wolf FMJ $6.97/20, and I purchased 500 rounds of Silver Bear 140 gr soft point for $144+ S&H. I am curious to know if there is a member of this forum that reloads 308s and can tell me how much it costs to reload 500 rounds.

500 rounds - of similar quality to wolf or SB

500 pulled 150 grain FMJBT from Hitech-ammo $35 (shipped)

500 primers $10

4 lbs or so of powder ($40-$50 if bought in 8lb lots on sale)

Brass is tough to measure cost on, since it depends on your standards. I can generally find 500 once fired rounds for $50 (from our club) and that can be used up to 8 times, so maybe $7 per 500 at that rate. Carefully inspect before reloading each time, and load on the low end of pressures.

Totals ($35+10+50+7)=about $100.

You can easily double that cost depending on your component choices.

Thanks, I appreciate your reply. I know that I saw several ads recently for FMJBT that cost nearly as much as the Silver Bear that I purchased. The $100 does not include the "reloading equipment" nor does it include the labor factor. But I am told that reloading is a "labor of love" and that once you are into it, it is considered 'fun' and not 'labor'.

Thanks again for the reply. Who knows maybe a Lee with some 308 dies will be in the future for me too.

Joe

I used to reload my shotshells for years. I can attest that you get hooked on it, always have a large pile of ammo, and the option to change your loads is the best part of it all. at least in 12 gauge, once you have some hulls, you get the equivalent of exactly what you want, for maybe 1/2 to 3/4's the price abouts. in the case of the 12 and 20 gauge, you can get a really cheap reloading press for under 80 bucks. in the case of rifles, you can get a hand reloader for real cheap, but the reloading time is a lot greater.

If you're looking to get a Saiga shotgun and don't have any compelling reason to get a .410, you might find the 20 gauge to be more useful and versatile. It even puts out enough lead to make a decent self-defense gun and has about half the recoil of a 12 gauge.

Edited by Fla40