Saiga 12 bullpup revisited...

and the concept won me over. I'm currently writing K-var to see if I can purchase any of their Bullpup components seperately as the only thing I think I can use is their buttplate....

I also need to figure out how i'm going to run the trigger all the way foreward.....other than that it aught to be simple.

Is this going to be another LEO sample prototype on a new Saiga or are you refitting the existing one?

Regarding the trigger linkage, is there that gap below the barrel into the receiver as on other AK variants? If so, then that's the route (same one used by the K-Var kit and the Norinco) If you look at the parts breakdown you'll see a purpose-built bullpup fire control parts set meant to be connected to a separate trigger. The receiver cover might also fit with modifications.

You're right that the pistol grip fore-end wont go on the Saiga; one approach might be to epoxy/bolt only as much of it as you need to the underside of a Saiga fore-end, otherwise you might have to fabricate a trigger housing and mount for a pistol grip--I imagine an aluminum extrusion U-channel (1/8" thick walls) could be the basis for it. You'd also need to have some kind of safety near the trigger which appears to be lacking on the K-Var unit.

I've got both a HS M10B and Bushmaster M17S and I agree the bullpup trigger linkage can be problematic. In the case of the M10B, the linkage is pushed to trip the trigger as opposed to the M17S where it is pulled; I think a pulled linkage feels better because it has no tendency to bind anywhere on it's path like one under compression. The K-Var unit appears to use a pulled linkage.

post-2-1056428585.jpg

I like the Norinco as its an actual service combat weapon in use with PLA Airborn Forces as the QBZ95. I'm actually shopping around for one right now if I can find it for under $1,000.

The Valmet is a fantastic weapon, its a real shame it fell victem to the Bush ban in 86. What a beauty too.

The Bullpup will be a configuration of the short saiga, what I'm currently calling the Saiga-X.

I shot mine more today and to be honest, its very hand and realy fun. It sucks that i cant market it to the general public. Its just barely too heavy to be shot with one hand....OTOH the weight in "pistol" mode soaks up some of the recoil. I'm just waiting for the ACE stock for it.

I'm sorry I butchered the original Saiga fore-end for it. I'm going to start poking around here in a few days to see if I cant find an original (whole) Saiga-12 fore-end. Either that or find some way to put a 1/2 leignth guard on it like the Galil. We'll see.