How do you aim your rifle?

What optics do you have?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. How is it mounted?

• It is mounted on a weaver rail
    • It is mounted on side with rings
    • Typical iron sight mounting
    • Something else

Installed the Williams peep on the .308 with a plastic front sight, keeps them in the 6-ring at 100.

The 4x psop brings them in better.

I did the Ultimak with a red dot on my x39, everything hits the 3moa dot, and super-fast on target.

Ultimak type rail with Holo or red dot!! :super:

My saiga has a PSOP scope and my polish ak i just use the iron sights, although a friend of mine has the ultimak gas tube rail with EoTech holo sights and it kicks ass... if only i had the 100 for the mount and 350 for the sight...

My .308 has IOR 6x on IOR VEPR mount. I probably should have checked "East Bloc" instead of "Commercial", since it's Romanian stuff.

I started out with an Eotech, my damn eyes are just too feeble for 1x on a rifle with the range this one possesses.

Respectfully posted,

guido2 in Houston

Two things that really surprised me were how many are still using the factory iron sights and for those that are using scopes how few are using the side-mount that already comes on the Saiga.

A lot of people selected "something else" for mounting their scope. What method am I missing?

Edited by Fla40
Two things that really surprised me were how many are still using the factory iron sights and for those that are using scopes how few are using the side-mount that already comes on the Saiga.

A lot of people selected "something else" for mounting their scope. What method am I missing?

well, the choice in the poll is "side mount with rings"

a POSP with integral mount doesnt have rings.

What 44rdv4rk said. I've got a POSP which I can easily swap between my .308 16", 21", or my 16" .223. I generally leave it on the 21" .308.

i use a low profile side mount topped with a cheapo BSA red dot from wal mart. Sight was $30. I have abused the sight (mainly to see how long it would take me to break it) for about two years and it still runs like a champ. I have never had a problem with it

well, the choice in the poll is "side mount with rings"

a POSP with integral mount doesnt have rings.

Thanks. I didn't know that. Had I, I would have probably made another option. But learning something is the purpose of all this anyway ;-)

I've learned (well, already knew, but chose to ignore) that optics are no place to skimp.

I put a Tasco 3-9x40 on my s308, on a belarus side-mount weaver rail.

I finally got everything zeroed and was hitting 4" groups or so at 200 yds, but after about 100rds the crosshairs literally fell off the inside of the scope. They are rattling around in there now. That's what I get for going the $30 wally-world route I guess. Love the side-mount though, slides on like butter, perfect fit.

That same day the handguard I had repaired was ripped from the gun again. Must be the bipod holding the handguard in place while the rest of the gun recoils. Anyone else using a bipod on their s308?

eotech all the way or the bushnell holo sight same sight not as rugged. mounted on low mount rail. both eyes open dot on target double tap away fast fast fast. ive picked up a cheaper bushnell trophy red dot and on shotty it shots same as eo but only shoot it twice and buck shot fairly forgiving but so far id buy another to try on rifle as soon as i get some more rounds tru her to see if she holds up. :killer::killer:post-1742-1180271605_thumb.jpg

I have a windage adjustable standard iron sight that I got from Global Trades. It allows 2" 100 yard groups - good God y'all what else is needed?

Fast acquisition, rugged as hell, field adjustable, fog/water/heat/dust/etc. proof- not resistant, proof - the very best.

That said, mine is a carbine, not a "marksman or sniper" version - which needs a good adjustable optical sight like the POSP. Again, IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine doesn't have Iron Sights anymore. It has a low profile side rail and a Bushnell 10x fixed 40mm objective scope. The mil-dots and target turrets are nice additions as well. It will probably remain a dedicated "sniper rifle" for the rest of it's useful life with me.

Have any of you thought about putting a Ultimak gas tube then a variable zoom pistol scope up there in a scout mount set up that is exactly what I have on my .223 and x39 Saiga Rifles.

Using irons. Considering Ultimak with pistol scope in the scout position. I'm aprehensive about clamping the rail to the barrel though.

I was under the impression that the .308's barrel was too thick to be used with the clamps provided by Ultimak. Do you have a solution to that? If so, please fill me in.

Thanks,

Barrett

• 3 years later...