Question for Tromix - 444 Marlin Conversion

I understand that Tromix is stacked very high with orders and isn't taking new ones until September. Congratulations on being the most popular Saiga conversion smith around!

What I'm most interested in is the anticipated offering of a Saiga-410 conversion to 444 Marlin. I know that the opportunity was offered for a guinea pig to do it at material cost only, and I wasn't in a position to consider it. But when/if the conversion is developed and proven by Tony's initiative when it fits his schedule, I'm interested.

Three questions:

1.) When would Tony begin doing these conversions? I'm guessing no sooner than early 2008.

2.) What would pricing look like? I understand that barrel blanks are pretty expensive, but would it be possible to consider using take-off levergun barrels as a cost saving option? At one point Marlin barrels were about $45 at Numrich.

3.) Besides the barrel, what key changes would be involved? I'm assuming that some sort of rifle sites would be standard, either at the muzzle or on the gas block. Would it need a new gas block as well, and if so, would it be Tromix made or military surplus? Standard length gas tube? Standard length furniture?

My ideal 444 conversion would have a long barrel (say 20-24") without a muzzle brake, a muzzle mounted front site, and a classic (non-conversion) buttstock with a matching handguard.

That is rockin good news! Seems like thats about the only saigas you can easily aquire right now anyway. Hey Bob, I remember a price given, like $750 or something. Do you know if that was a complete rifle or work on a supplied gun? I know the barrel alone was about $250 or so.

so its official. not only do i need my s12 short barreled and a tromix .458 socom ak rifle but now i gotta buy a .410 as well and have this .444 marlin conversion done on it.

DAMN YOU TONY!!!!!!

can i just have my payroll checks direct deposited into your account?

in all seriousness excellent work. thank you for providing saiga owners with "options" :devil:

It would not be problem to leave the gun in the sporter configuration and just convert it to 444.

I need to thoroughly test this gun, and then build another one before I can quote any firm pricing.

A rough estimate would be $550 to convert a customer's Saiga 410 to 444 Marlin, provided testing reveals no unforeseen problems.....which is unlikely.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Tony,

Nice job! You're really pushing the creative edge on your conversions.

Mind sharing what the butt stock is on this one?

I know I've seen it before, but can't place it.

Is it an import?

It's a Tromix/Lage stock.

WELL FDUK ME !!!! That looks positively AWSOME!!!!! Tony PLEASE let us Know how it goes, I would definitely be interested in that and I can get a S410 cheap from gunboy........and so the $550 would be a conversion with the gun remaining in stock config??

WELL FDUK ME !!!! That looks positively AWSOME!!!!! Tony PLEASE let us Know how it goes, I would definitely be interested in that and I can get a S410 cheap from gunboy........and so the $550 would be a conversion with the gun remaining in stock config??

When this came up beforeTony's price included p-grip conversion. I can't wait. Back on the hunt for a .410.

Hey tony, I have another?? I have been looking and reading,etc and it seems the .444 is going to be 'obsoleted ' sometime in the near future.. What other rounds could work with minimal conversion work if this were to happen, in your opinion?

Here is another more important one due to where I live- IF I get to the point of wanting a caliber conversion done and I still live in the PRK, CAN the receiver be remarked as .444 or other RIFLE caliber or would it have to remain a shottie.I ask because as a rifle I can get it here no prob in normal config, IF it has to remain a shottie, I have to fix the magazine(WHAT effed up stupid laws). ??

Thank you for all the wisdom and abilities you contribute to the forums!!!

tony, would you like this topic moved into your business section??

topics like these should really be opened in tony's business section. I THINK that members can start topics in his section. I guess I should check that huh?

If I continue to use the original gas block, then yes, the unit would still have the two position gas regulator in it. However, that barrel is awefully skinny, and I planned to make a heavier barrel using an RPK gas block on subsequent builds. That would do away with the gas regulator. The AK gas system is pretty forgiving anyway, so I think it would probably cycle with a variety of loads anyway.

444c.jpg

444d.jpg

444e.jpg

Tony