6 inch versus 8 inch S-12 (pic)

To expand a little further, short barreled shotguns aren't something you can walk into a gun store, pay a sticker price for, pay an instacheck fee, fill out a 4473, get checked over the phone, and leave with the same day.

This is a whole different classification of firearm called an NFA firearm. THIS is the kind that is registered on a federal level, and the ATF and your local sherriff have to approve you to have it, vs having to find a reason not to approve you within 3 days.

I would be curious to know how much extra work is involved in a 10" vs a 6-8" Saiga conversion. My next conversion I am thinking I want to go Krink style on it, with the folder stock and short barrel. I have read that the gas ports have to be messed with though on anything less than 10" barrel. How much more moola are we typically talking about for 2-4" shorter than a 10" conversion?

..pay an instacheck fee...

What is that a state level background check? As for the short barrel, a buyer should first check to make sure their state allows them. Its really not THAT big a deal for alot of people, but it does take a while :rolleyes:

Hmm, could the Bodyguard be offered in a pistol (no stock) config - and if so, would you avoid the NFA tax if the receiver was designated pistol only?

Or does that not apply to shotguns?

I smile when I think of a 12ga. krink pistol... :)

The ports do have to be re-done for a 10"............ (per Tony Rumore & Bob Ash)

Anything in a shotgun under 18" is an NFA weapon (see BRG3 post.......)

This is a pic of my TROMIX 10".......a one-of-a-kind weapon at this point according to Tony, but I've seen a lot of interest in it, and think it may not be that way for long.......................

I need to update this pic, adding the SPAS-15 folder Tony put together.......(which rocks !!!!)

post-3950-1180499132_thumb.jpg

:smoke:

The ports do have to be re-done for a 10"............ (per Tony Rumore & Bob Ash)

Anything in a shotgun under 18" is an NFA weapon (see BRG3 post.......)

This is a pic of my TROMIX 10".......a one-of-a-kind weapon at this point according to Tony, but I've seen a lot of interest in it, and think it may not be that way for long.......................

I need to update this pic, adding the SPAS-15 folder Tony put together.......(which rocks !!!!)

post-3950-1180499132_thumb.jpg

:smoke:

Jeaux E -- :haha: ... :haha:... :P ... :P ... :P ... :P I've already received my SPAS-15 folding rear stock from Tony.

The width of the SPAS stock is a tad-bit thinner than Tony's standard folding rear stock (that which you have on your TROMIX SBS 10"), but it's still mighty sweet.

SBS conversion is $685 on your gun, any barrel length from 8" to 14". It's a great deal considering all the work that goes into it, and Tony is easily the industry leader in the shorties, so you know it'll work right. Frankly I can't recommend the 6", the 8" is so much more reliable.

Shotgun can't be made into a pistol.

BRG3 is correct, NFA firearms are hard to obtain. Besides the deep-level federal check and fingerprinting, your local Chief of Police or Sheriff has to sign the form 4, which can be very iffy. In fact if you live in a large urban area it may be impossible unless you are well connected. Even then it typically takes a month or more.

I would not say NFA items are hard to obtain, however if you are not in a rural area it may be hard to do, depending on your association and experience/friends at the department. Personally, 8 or so years ago, my sheriff interviewed me for my first transfer before he would sign the paperwork for a swd lightning link (auto connector) I bought for 2k from Wellco Arms of all places....what a crooked nutjob (Wells, not the sheriff, who is still in that office) that guy turned out to be! I should have bought everything under the sun back then if I had known what prices would do. Actually, I would be rich and retired by now....even if I had taken out a big loan to buy everything. Oh well. Those were the good times though, before prices just took off into orbit.

I believe that is correct though, a shotgun cant be made into a pistol, it would have to come from the factory as such.

I live in a fairly rural portion of the south. My first NFA transfer took about 2 two hours for the CLEO to sign. I think they just made sure I had no warrents out on me. The ATF got the papers back to me in a little over three months which I hear is pretty good. Fingerprints arn't a big deal and neither is the paperwork, its more just a PITA to get it all together and hand over that $200 tax on the second amendment.

"I would not say NFA items are hard to obtain"

Well, yeah...if you live in a small town and know all the cops. Most people don't. Here in Tulsa it's damn near impossible.

2 hours for your CLEO? Amazing...here it's closer to two weeks.

For my first transfer the local sherrif wouldn't sign so I called everyone else that was allowed to sign until I got somebody. I've since moved to an area that has already put out that they won't sign so don't ask....so I started a Trust and circumvented the CLEO signature and pics which has also made future purchases musch easier on me. The background check has gotten faster now too that the ATF has opened the new office, my SBR took about 5 weeks. My next toy should be in soon :D

Edited by KySoldier
I live in a fairly rural portion of the south. My first NFA transfer took about 2 two hours for the CLEO to sign. I think they just made sure I had no warrents out on me. The ATF got the papers back to me in a little over three months which I hear is pretty good. Fingerprints arn't a big deal and neither is the paperwork, its more just a PITA to get it all together and hand over that $200 tax on the second amendment.

Tennessee is a must sign state. That makes it easier

"Maneo Qualis Manebam"

Er, not bragging, but I usually call the sheriff's secretary, she gives me a hard time about new toys, I go in, she comes out to the lobby, I give her the paperwork, and 5 minutes later I have my signed form 4's. Except for that first time, it has gone like that. I'm not sure what would happen if we ever got a different sheriff though. Depends on who would run against him.

Jeaux E -- :haha: ... :haha:... :P ... :P ... :P ... :P I've already received my SPAS-15 folding rear stock from Tony.

The width of the SPAS stock is a tad-bit thinner than Tony's standard folding rear stock (that which you have on your TROMIX SBS 10"), but it's still mighty sweet.

Gary,

I've had mine installed on the 10" for about a month...........just haven't taken a new picture as yet...................... Here's one from the Alpena shoot a couple of weeks ago.......Mine's the last one on the left........

post-3950-1180578993_thumb.jpg

...........and yes, it's really sweet...................

Have you gotten around to shooting your 20 yet?????

Gary,

I've had mine installed on the 10" for about a month...........just haven't taken a new picture as yet...................... Here's one from the Alpena shoot a couple of weeks ago.......Mine's the last one on the left........

...........and yes, it's really sweet...................

Have you gotten around to shooting your 20 yet?????

"DOOOOOH!"

Ummmm.....errrrr...... Would you believe me if I said...."NO?"

:evil:

Well, yeah...if you live in a small town and know all the cops. Most people don't. Here in Tulsa it's damn near impossible.

Bob,

Have you tried going the Trust route?

No CLEO, no fingerprints etc and the ATF has really fast turn around times for trusts compared to individuals. Plus non of the hassles of a LLC or Corp to deal with.

AR15.com info on setting up a Trust

This thread has some good NFA info too.

The currently most popular way to go is with a Revocable Living Trust over a LLC. The trust has no annual fees or seperate taxes and there's no fighting about who gets your stuff when you die.

The process is simple.

*cliff note version*

buy Quicken Willmaker, create a trust, print out the declaration and certification of trust, take it to a notary and get it notarized, make copies of the certification, Send in the copy of the Cert w/ your NFA transfer aplication.

If you have any reason to belive Quicken is not "good enough" for your particular situation then you would need to seek an attorney to draft you a suitable Trust

I looked at the Corporation route since it means no CLEO signature, picture, or fingerprints....and it allows for more than one person to possess the gun (awesome). But with the costs of setting one up and maintaining it with annual taxes and forms to keep it legit (and the ownership legal) I decided against it. My Trust cost me almost nothing, can be set up in a day, and requires no future efforts/money to keep it going. Even if I had a CLEO available to sign I like my way better since it keeps my purchases between me and the ATF.

Gary,

.........and here are the new pics with the TROMIX SPAS-15 STOCK!! It's narrower than the standard TROMIX folder, which works for me, and it's verrrrrrry comfortable to shoot !!! Tony did a helluva job modifying the hinge, and the overall appearance really puts an exclamation mark on the weapon !!!

post-3950-1180916257_thumb.jpg

post-3950-1180916285_thumb.jpg

post-3950-1180916746_thumb.jpg

(See signature line below................)

Edited by Jeaux E

damn man... i saw a spas 15 and thought it was pug ass fugly... but on that shorty it looks REALLY sweet

the horzontal lines stock - saw - mag - vert... streamlined

i can't wait to have mine done... SBS i hope

more artwork jeaux e

darrell