S20 owners-tell me if worth trying to get 1 and convert

Hi Dizag,Indy<cobra,Bvamp,etc- Guys can you fill me in on the S20- is it worth getting in terms of cost for mags,ammo,conversion,etc. I want to get anothe Saiga and if I cannot get the S12 I am trying to get-the one in the WTS area- I am thinking of getting a S20 and convert it. Can I get feedback from you guys on all asbects of buying converting,ammo cost,mag cost,etc issues?

I may go see what 20 ga is around here,hope it is not more than 12ga ammo.

Thanks in advance to all of you. :super:

Cost of ammo is about the same.

Conversion is pretty much the same.

+ for S-12 - AGP mags & ability to shoot 2 3/4" and 3" ammo out of the same mag.

Also more power :killer: and variety of loads.

- for S-20 - 8 & 10 round mags are import only & expensive. Also you need 2 3/4" mags and 3" mags.

Hi Dizag,Indy<cobra,Bvamp,etc- Guys can you fill me in on the S20- is it worth getting in terms of cost for mags,ammo,conversion,etc. I want to get anothe Saiga and if I cannot get the S12 I am trying to get-the one in the WTS area- I am thinking of getting a S20 and convert it. Can I get feedback from you guys on all asbects of buying converting,ammo cost,mag cost,etc issues?

I may go see what 20 ga is around here,hope it is not more than 12ga ammo.

Thanks in advance to all of you. :super:

Got 2 of them 1 converted 1 not, the ammo is about the same. There was a tutorial on here on how to make 10 rounders out of 2 5's.

Anyone cosidering an S-20 purchase should check this out. I just talked to RAAC and some distributors today and found out the new S-20s coming in have threaded barrels and soon chokes will be available for them. I saw one at a gunshow last weekend. Alot of people are waiting on the new poly coming out for the 12 before ordering chokes for them. I have a poly that threads on my 12 BTW and it's a nice option (thanks Tony :-). Not sure if they are planning on making them for the 20 yet.

Anyway if I was shopping for an S-20 right now I would wait and get a threaded one.

And more bad news on the S-12 imports...they didn't get many on the latest ship and there won't be many more on the next one already on the ocean. Next one after that could be awhile...

I have to admit I don't quite understand why someone would want an "assault" shotgun in 20 ga.

Why not? My wife loves my 410 & 20. My nephew prefers shooting the 20 over the 12.

410 is probably even worse yet with the higher cost of ammo & even less power.

I couldn't get a S-12 for a long time. So I picked up the S-20 & S-410 for $200 each.

Get what is available, while you can, the zombie hoards could strike at any time. ;)

I say get one of each flavor!

post-2093-1179796029_thumb.jpg

I have to admit I don't quite understand why someone would want an "assault" shotgun in 20 ga.

Maybe because they live in a state where S12's will be banned as DD's and illegal to own once those drum mags hit the shelves. Not trying to start yet annother discussion on this topic, just commenting!

Well I don't understand why a man of at least 150 LBs would want one, unless he lived somewhere they prohibited the 12. It is just a better all around load for social work.

Edited by Azrial

Well I don't understand why a man of at least 150 LBs would want one, unless he lived somewhere they prohibited the 12. It is just a better all around load for social work.

Some of us just like to have all the AKs we can find of every different kind, caliber, shape, color, style...

Have you actually shot a Saiga 20 before? It ain't no little girls gun bro. Even the 410 is a respectable weapon.

Oh yeah...did someone say pics?

post-1293-1179942987_thumb.jpg

Edited by Cobra 76 two

Why is .223 the dominant caliber in 3-gun competitions? ... because it pokes a hole in paper or hits a steel plate while necessitating a lighter gun and produces a lot less recoil than the 30 caliber rounds. It is simply a lot faster caliber to shoot period.

The same argument works with a .20 ga. It scores the same number of points on paper targets and can knock down steel from the same distances as a 12 ga, while weighing less and making the user absorb less recoil. It is a faster gun to shoot. You do have a smaller pattern but the center is as, or more, dense than a comparable 12ga.

Every gun has its purpose and a 20ga works well for most competitions. Besides, my 13 year old son can shoot it in competition too.

Edited by LEO L

If 20 ga. shotguns are good enough for the New York City Police stakeout squad then they're effective enough for us. I read Stressfire II by Massad Ayoob where he shows that some police departments use 20 ga. shotguns. New York's are Remington 870s with short barrels and a strap over the foregrip to keep the hand away from the muzzle. I would take an S20 since S12s are hard to get if the price was right.

This is a follow-up comment to the one made by uzitiger. Ayoob's book Stressfire 2 states that a 20 gauge shotgun loaded with #3 buckshot delivers about 70% of the payload of a 12 gauge with only 50% of the recoil. This means that the follow-up shots are easier and quicker to get off. I chose to buy a S-20 and also have built an AOW based on a 20 gauge firearm.

+1 on the recoil vs payload issue. Also, nobody ever brings up the fact that a full 9 or 10 round 20 gauge mag is lighter and more maneauverable than a 10 round 12 gauge mag. Not putting down the 12, it's definately a powerhouse, but so is the 20...

The 3 inch case holds 24 pellets of #3 buck at 1150 fps, roughly equivalent to getting hit by a pair of 44 mags.

The 20 gauge foster slug weighs at least 5/8 ounce at a MV of 1600 fps. That's over a half inch of lead travelling at 1600 fps.

Neither is something I'd want to be on the receiving end of during a social work session.

With a little mag welding, you can wind up with hi cap mags for not alot of $'s, and have spare parts left over. I would be happy with either the 12 or 20, but since my local shop had a used S20 sitting on the rack for $220 with four mags it was a no brainer. I've shot pistol grip shotguns is both 12 and 20 (not saigas though), and the 20 is far more manageable if you are looking for that sort of setup.

I got some winchester slugs back a year ago - 15 round boxes - for cheap.

After 3 boxes I had a nice tattoo on my shoulder.

Also when you run 3" magnums, they pack a hell of a wallop. I use those for hunting - #4 shot.

The favored tactical shotgun load in many circles is now the #1 buck, no longer 00. Since a Saiga 20 can deliver #2 buck in factory cartridges, just one shot size away from the optimum, you have a tool that is very nearly as effective as the trusty 12, yet a lot easier to handle with quick follow-up shots due to the reduced recoil. For defending the home, I am quite confident with the S-20, it is hard to think of a better choice.