• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well guys time for TEAM SAIGA to stoot once more, www.ncrr.net tactical shotgun match it is under the IDPA section of the web site. Eric will be there trying to beat the old man, good luck kid LOL. Ron, Kenneth, Joe hope to see you there!

16 JUNE Tactical Shotgun Match at www.ncrr.net Norfolk County Rifle Rang will have a side pistol caliber carbine match I plan to use my brand new CX4 Strom.

http://ncrr.net/calendar/html/nc06162007.htm

I should check this post more often I wouldve loved to come out today.

Who do I need to talk with about coming out to these meets? I'd like to try something different than shooting paper and clays.

I have considered building up a properly modified Saiga-12 for MMA Competition. If I come up facing a competitor like Chuck Ludell this might be my only chance. Has anyone had experience in this type of competition with a Saiga?

Edited by Azrial

pictures180.jpghttp://ncrr.net/IDPA/matchresults/2007-06-16_SG.htm It's fathers day and I have to brag a bit my son Eric won the match with his Saiga 12, APG mags, BRG3 furniture, and a set of Krebs custom sights!

img]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k120/Topmaul/Galatine002.jpg[/img] He whipped the old man I came in a poor 4th behind two tube feeders

Congratulations Eric!!!

Galatine002.jpg

pictures183.jpg

Edited by topmaul
16 JUNE Tactical Shotgun Match at www.ncrr.net Norfolk County Rifle Rang will have a side pistol caliber carbine match I plan to use my brand new CX4 Strom.

http://ncrr.net/calendar/html/nc06162007.htm

I should check this post more often I wouldve loved to come out today.

Who do I need to talk with about coming out to these meets? I'd like to try something different than shooting paper and clays.

I you want to shoot one of these matches just show up about 9:00 on the day of the match. We'll show you the ropes. You could always join the club.

Open class 3 gunners,, tell me your thoughts.

I have been shooting in the tactical class and use a L10 Wilson for my pistol. I use the same pistol for IPSC in L10 pistol only matches. I dont care for the widebody guns and just went thru buying and selling a Dawson STI Edge and all that went with it. Im a SS 1911 45 guy. End of story.

HOWEVER,, the way I see it is if Im gonna have to shoot open cause of the Saiga I might as well try to help my cause in the pistol dept. I dont want a race gun anyway for the previous reasons plus the hassle and risk of DQ using a race holster. SO I figured mounting a Dr or similar sight on a 45 will help but I still get to shoot my SS and use a standard Kydex style holster. I mentioned this while looking for opinions on good out of the box 45 at Enos and man a few of those guys just dont get it. Im doing this for FUN not to win. I dont care what I give up by shooting the handgun I prefer over a comped gun with a dot. I really tried to get thru that it just a game and a hobby and I dont think Im gonna take the nats anytime soon. A couple of them do not seem to be able understand that. Oh well,,

Are there any 3 gunners who switched to Saiga shooting non-open class pistols and or rifles??

Tnek,

I have been shooting 3-gun for several years now and it's definately "for fun". If you don't believe me about fun, just check some of my scores. Yup, open class goes along with having a Saiga-12 and most competitions. I pretty much say "WTF" and shoot anyway and have a good time doing it. USPSA, IPSC and IDPA have their own ideas as to what class the Saiga belongs in (Mags = speedloaders?!!?) so just go with it.

My current 3-gun "competiton" guns:

Saiga-12 modified w/ Ace sidefolder

Para Ord P16-40 Ltd. w/ Blackhawk Serpa holster

Bulgy Arsenal 105 AK-74 clone w/ Tasco 1.1-3.5x22 scope on high mount

Edited by Ronswin
pictures180.jpghttp://ncrr.net/IDPA/matchresults/2007-06-16_SG.htm It's fathers day and I have to brag a bit my son Eric won the match with his Saiga 12, APG mags, BRG3 furniture, and a set of Krebs custom sights!

img]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k120/Topmaul/Galatine002.jpg[/img] He whipped the old man I came in a poor 4th behind two tube feeders

Congratulations Eric!!!

Galatine002.jpg

pictures183.jpg

Congratulations Eric! :super:

I was lucky enough to hold & aim that Saiga last month. I thought all that wood made her a tad heavy but she felt GOOD and aimed quick! Apparently Eric knows what to do with it! Way to go team Saiga! :super: I was thinking about the shotfun match while I was washing cars for Jesus on Saturday. The fund raiser was almost a little too successful and I was one wipped puppy by the end of the day.

One of the San Angelo crowd has been running a Saiga since before Saigas were cool. He doesn't like dot guns either, and just uses his Limited gun (was a Para, now he cowboy'ed up to a STI)...but with a 170mm "big stick" magazine. The dot gains you a little, the comp gains you a little, but not having to reload gains you a lot :chris:

The difference between Tactical and Open rifles has slid down to somewhere between slim and very little, with the advent of the sneaky covered illuminated sights, true 1-4 scopes, and those trick swing-away magnifier optics and mounts.

The big difference, beyond using a modern shotgun instead of an antique, is the pistol. Even running a big magazine helps a rather inordinant amount over a regular mag...figure 1.5/2 seconds for a mid-pack reload; saved at least one per stage equals big time reductions over the non-"gamey" guy shooting regular mags. Every little bit helps.

For the record, though, I run a full-up open gun in a modified DOH rig. At the Master and GM level, you have to take each and every little bit you can ;)

Alex

topmaul......are you or Eric using any chokes? If so what are you using...full or modified? <_<

That is if you dont mind sharing your winning secrets! B) I bought a set of chokes to try and make thoses Texas stars do my bidding! Hope to try them out tomorrow and compair patterns.

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Blade-Tech ordering a DOH tek-lok mount to use on a bag from tactical taylor to try and make a mag pouch.

I sent them an email asking if they had any plans to make a mag carrier of some kind for the 10 rounders and I got a reply back this mng that they could but I would have to send them a mag. The guy asked me where to buy one. Sounds like a good sign.

Maybe if a few more shooters here would contact Blade-Tech to encourage the development of a usable pouch.

Blade-Tech has had one of my 12 and one of my 20's since mid-June 2006...

Alex

Thats not good. Why the heck did they want another one??

Given the timing, I'd guess they are the 8 round 12 ga, and 10 round factory 20 ga.... but I'm just guessing.

Top, I was planning on the weaponsmaster match. But my wifes brother thinks we should be at his wedding ??? hmmmm.

They run single gun stages, no weapons transitions. Last years was Saiga friendly, years prior have always had select a slug type stages. They are a very friendly group, that's a great club. Was really looking forward to this year. You talked about getting an optic at one time ... they aren't allowed there.

Give them my best, and shoot your best!

WEAPON MASTERS MATCH Information

Saigas are permitted, they are in the semi-auto division. In addition,

loads may not be mixed in a magazine, i.e. buckshot and slugs must be in

separate magazines

For all of the folks in Richmond, and close/interested enough ...

We have black creeks's IDPA match this Sat. Minimum pistol count is 126, moore is better.

Afterwards, I'm running a shotgun sidematch. ~60 rounds if you are feeling lucky, again, moore is better. There will be a large field stage that will run 40+ rounds, and some other smaller stuff (to keep the flintlockers interested :) ).

Normally travel to Richmond might be a stretch, but this will be a quality pistol match and I'm hoping the shotgun is fun too!

Spectators are more than welcome, they'll need to have eye and ear protection. They'll be loved if they step up and help reset targets, but it isn't required or even expected. It's also away of involving them.

What to bring: Well all of the non shooting stuff is what you'd expect or normally do for outdoor activity. Sunscreen or bug spray (don't remember bugs being too bad), drink and food (but there's some available in the club house for cheap), etc. Hat is nice.

As for shooting: Bring your Saiga, some eyes and ears, and 200 shells (that way you'll have left over, but it sucks to be low on shells). Don't use shot that is larger than 7.5. Bring whatever mags you have, and however you carry them. The most you'll need to shoot in a single stage could be 40 (more if you miss! or if there is stubborn steel targets).

Depending on your shotgun's choke, you might want to bring some shells with a little umphhh. I used my back up shotgun, it has a full choke, and I was killing steel with light bird loads. But I was missing targets that I was shooting on the move :(

Good Luck, that's a fun match!!!!

The match is fast approching, Eric and I will be there, I'll bring extra magazines if any TEAM SAIGA shooters need to borrow extra mags.

Also Eric and I were asked to design the long stage, so you can bet on a lot of targets!

I echo what Kenneth said, sun screen, water, bug spray, that kind of stuff maybe a lunch.

What kind of shells do you guys usually shoot.

Ive got a couple different things in the closet. Remington Sure shot heavy dove 7 1/2, Remmy Nitro STS Sporting Clays 7 1/2, Winchester target loads Wal-mart 100pk 7 1/2.

My gun has a poly choke on it and will probably have it in the full position at first.

I like PMC heavy dove but some folks don't just 7 1/2 or 8 will be fine.

How many Saiga guys will be there, Eric and I will be there we will be setting up Friday after work. Also if you have a semi auto, or pistol caliber carbine there will be a reactive target match at the indoor range so bring your Saiga 12 and your carbine.

I had a blast today at the NCCR tactical shotgun match.

John, and Eric smoked that course. Great times guys. I really appreciate loaning me the mags.

Its not too hard to hit the targets but knowing when to shoot them takes some skill.

Can't wait till next month hopefully Ill have the day off.