Thanks AJ, no problem sharing mags. You have to admitt some of those flint lock guys are pretty good, work on your closed bolt reloads with those 10 rounders.

You were shooting very well, fast and accuratly!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anybody know of anything in Wisconsin? Looking for some fun this winter. You Southern fork may not know it but up North it gets purty f****** cold in the winter. My summer is full of racing and I'm looking for a good competive rush in my off season. 3 gun, pistol, or what not. I've never competed (besides trap) in a shooting sport and it sounds like it would be fun, educational, and a great relaxation.

Anybody know of anything in Wisconsin? Looking for some fun this winter. You Southern fork may not know it but up North it gets purty f****** cold in the winter. My summer is full of racing and I'm looking for a good competive rush in my off season. 3 gun, pistol, or what not. I've never competed (besides trap) in a shooting sport and it sounds like it would be fun, educational, and a great relaxation.

I frequently use these two sites for 3-gun match schedules:

http://www.3gunmatch.com/matches.htm

http://www.3gunrules.com/

also check IDPA and USPSA for local schedules.

What Ron Said.

USPSA seems a bit more particular about the weather .... High dollar guns and slipping in the mud don't mix I guess. That's around here at least. They used to not shoot during our "winter" months (which you'd likely call a good start to fall lol).

I travel some, and so I often google the term IDPA with the city name to look for mid week matches close by (haven't had the schedules align yet).

GL

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hello john!! man............we missed you at blacwater sunday! the stages were incredible! the saiga like you suggested......with the polichoke just perfect!!! high brass, the key!!!!

G

I just put a PolyChoke on my S12 -- I'm going to try to pattern it tomorrow. What setting did you use - full or modified?

I'm looking forward to a chance to join Team Saiga in the near future.

Thanks!

Jim

Hello john!! man............we missed you at blacwater sunday! the stages were incredible! the saiga like you suggested......with the polichoke just perfect!!! high brass, the key!!!!

G

I just put a PolyChoke on my S12 -- I'm going to try to pattern it tomorrow. What setting did you use - full or modified?

I'm looking forward to a chance to join Team Saiga in the near future.

Thanks!

Jim

Jim I like modified!! I think is just perfect for competition!

You are welcome anytime, just let me know and I will put you on the list for blackwater the best facility I ever saw.

regards

Giulio

Thanks, Giulio - I'll be looking forward to it!

I've been shooting USPSA pistol for a couple of years now, but 3-gun is new to me. This would be my 3-gun setup:

Modified Saiga S12

Saiga 7.62x39

CZ SP-01

I have a low-rise scope mount and an EOTech 512 that I could mount on either the S12 or the AK.

A couple of newbie questions:

- I understand that the Saiga puts me in the open category: that applies to all 3 guns, right?

- Does your pistol score in 3-gun contribute to a separate Open pistol classification? Currently I'm C-class in Production, nothing else.

- While I'm there to compete and have fun, there's a practical side to consider. If I shoot my Production gun in Open (currently CZ SP-01) do I have any chance of coming in anywhere but last?

Thanks!

Jim

You guys are inspiring!

Okay, here's my Commie Bloc 3-gun set up:

3Gunsetup.JPG

Saiga 7.62x39 AK

CZ 75 SP01 Pistol

Saiga S12 19" Shotgun

That's an SKD Tactical vest in the middle -- it accomodates up to 4 mags for either the AK or the S12 (plus 4 pistol mags...two AGP 10-rd and 2 ThermMold 30-rd mags shown). I have a CR Speed belt and Comp-Tag gear for the pistol (not shown).

Now I just have to find a little time and a way to lug this stuff around!

Jim

Jim & Giulio,

Please consider the N.C. Recon in Oxford, NC, October 27 & 28. This has been one of the premier 3-gun events for several years now as it is "recon" format. All ammo, weapons and gear must remain on your person from the start each day to the end of the day. Rifle/pistol on Saturday and Shotgun/pistol on Sunday with a huge prize table so everyone gets one pass at the prizes no matter what the score. Scoring is different from IDPA and USPSA and the classifications are very basic. If anyone here decides to go or needs more info just e-mail me.

N.C. 3-gun links:

http://bc3g.ath.cx/

What Ron said. I'd add that the monthly match at black creek is worthwhile (see the site he referenced). Max range we can shoot at is only ~80 yards, but the MD usually has some fun twists thrown in here and there.

Jim, The questions you ask are best answered by a matches using USPSA rules, all the others are a hodgepodge (including bc3g).

The NRA range used to do 3 gun matches.

The Norfolk county range puts on a heck of a shotgun only match.

But every match I've seen would put you totally into open if any of the 3 are open. I don't know if USPSA matches have any pistol only stages. But most matches don't ...

Thanks -- I'm going to make it a point to get down to the matches in the Richmond and Tidewater areas. I've been stationed in Norfolk for half of my 20 years in the Navy, so the drive doesn't bother me a bit!

Like I said, I'm not really worried about winning anything - I just like the fun. The problem is going to be if my 17-yr old son comes with me. He's already shooting USPSA with me -- but he hasn't tried rifles too much. I guess we can just share the gear (although he shoots the Beretta PX4, not the CZ). I do have another AK and an AR - but I don't see another shotgun in my future any time soon! The good news is that we're just about the same size so we wouldn't have to readjust things!

Jim

Thanks -- I'm going to make it a point to get down to the matches in the Richmond and Tidewater areas. I've been stationed in Norfolk for half of my 20 years in the Navy, so the drive doesn't bother me a bit!

Like I said, I'm not really worried about winning anything - I just like the fun. The problem is going to be if my 17-yr old son comes with me. He's already shooting USPSA with me -- but he hasn't tried rifles too much. I guess we can just share the gear (although he shoots the Beretta PX4, not the CZ). I do have another AK and an AR - but I don't see another shotgun in my future any time soon! The good news is that we're just about the same size so we wouldn't have to readjust things!

Jim

Jim,

you can shoot open shotgun and rifle, but you can be pistol production! No problem!!

well............if you want to be sucidal...........well..........you can shoot your production in the open class but.............:(

Regards

Giulio

Jim & Giulio,

Please consider the N.C. Recon in Oxford, NC, October 27 & 28. This has been one of the premier 3-gun events for several years now as it is "recon" format. All ammo, weapons and gear must remain on your person from the start each day to the end of the day. Rifle/pistol on Saturday and Shotgun/pistol on Sunday with a huge prize table so everyone gets one pass at the prizes no matter what the score. Scoring is different from IDPA and USPSA and the classifications are very basic. If anyone here decides to go or needs more info just e-mail me.

N.C. 3-gun links:

Ron, please give some info about the recon comp.?

Thank you for your time

Regards

Giulio

Jim,

you can shoot open shotgun and rifle, but you can be pistol production! No problem!!

well............if you want to be sucidal...........well..........you can shoot your production in the open class but............. :(

Regards

Giulio

I guess I just need to get out there and see these things first hand -- and learn the rules! I thin kI downloaded a copy of the USPSA rulebook somewhere. I certainly don't want to shoot my pistol in Open if I don't have to -- I thought it was "all or nothing" based on the most stringent requirements of any of your three weapons (and since the S12 is an Open shotgun...)

While I'm asking questions: how common is it to have stages that require two or three different guns? In other words, stages where you have to transition from shotgun to pistol, or vice versa? Or with the rifle -- or with all 3 guns? Again, I've never seen a 3-gun match so I'm not sure what to expect yet.

Thanks for all the info!

Jim

JIM there are big money matches which are much more strict with the rules because they have to be, local club matches are for fun and bragging rights so the rules are relaxed a bit. Just look at all the DQs at the CTI match a month or two ago I think it was like 20. I did not shoot the match but talked to RonSwin who was there. When you laid a weapon down the safety had to be engaged or your gone. With money on the line rules have to be strictly enforced or your going to have protests which will suck the fun out of the match.

Best thing to do is just come out shoot have a good time and be safe of course. Once you get a few matches under your belt you'll have a much better understanding of the rules and the reasons behind them. And how to equipe yourself and configure your weapons.

Don't let trivial things like what class your shooting in, who cares I look at the over all score anyway.

A match a few months ago, my son shot second place and the third place guy said "darn you beat me but I was only 30 seconds behind an OPEN gun, Eric replied yep I am a 15 year old kid and you are a Cop" there is also a degree of trash talking that goes on once you shoot a few matches and get to know the other shooters, it just adds to the fun the point is we are out there for fun, and comradery more than serious competition, save that for matches when money is on the line.

The bottom line is match shooting is not something you have to wait till your totally equipped for, what ever configuration you start out with your going to gain experiance you'll end up trying new configurations and methods. The best combination will come but might take a while to exhaust possibilitys and theories. Gosh I am tired hope that made sense.

Edited by topmaul
Jim,

well............if you want to be sucidal...........well..........you can shoot your production in the open class but............. :(

Regards

Giulio

I guess I just need to get out there and see these things first hand -- and learn the rules! I thin kI downloaded a copy of the USPSA rulebook somewhere. I certainly don't want to shoot my pistol in Open if I don't have to -- I thought it was "all or nothing" based on the most stringent requirements of any of your three weapons (and since the S12 is an Open shotgun...)

While I'm asking questions: how common is it to have stages that require two or three different guns? In other words, stages where you have to transition from shotgun to pistol, or vice versa? Or with the rifle -- or with all 3 guns? Again, I've never seen a 3-gun match so I'm not sure what to expect yet.

Thanks for all the info!

Jim

Yeap Jim, John is right!!! forget about rules, just come down and you will learn in a flash!

Last sunday there were 2 rifle and pistol- 2 shotgun and pistol- 2 pistol=shooting house and uspsa qualif.

Giulio

Jim & Giulio,

N.C. 3-gun links:

Ron, please give some info about the recon comp.?

Thank you for your time

Regards

Giulio

Giulio,

for the N.C. Recon try these links:

http://bc3g.ath.cx/docs/ncrecon/recon07.rtf

http://bc3g.ath.cx/docs/ncrecon/recon%2007%20%20page%202.rtf

Pictures and detailed explanations of the stages fron '03:

http://ncrecon2003.kicks-ass.net/

All gear and ammo is carried by the shooter (no carts) and it very ammo intensive stages. Targets are steel plates, reactive steel, paper, skeet and moving targets. Steel targets can be very heavy so, heavy shot is recommended. Shooting on the move through woods, vehicles and a "kill house" using various and often difficult shooting positions. Slings and retention holsters are a must as you will be moving a lot. Rifle shots from 5 feet to 300+ yards so an optic is recommended ( I use a 1-4X scope). I know I'm forgetting a lot, but my coffee has yet to kick in. As said before, everyone is welcome (I believe slots are still available) and PM me if you want more info or to squad with us.

Sounds like a kick-ass match!

One question (from a newbie) - what is a "shotgun speedloader"? I can't think of much faster than a 10-rd magazine!

Jim

Tube magazine shotguns have an attachment which will fit over the bottom of the receiver around the loading gate which will allow rapid loading through plastic pipe looking "speedloader". They usually work well, but I have seen more than once where a shooter slapped in a rapid reload, remove the reloader and have all the rounds tumble back out of the shotgun. Use of said speedloader is USPSA open class (I'm not sure of IDPA) and some "Tactical" matches such as the Recon do not allow them at all.

Shotgun%20Speedloader3.jpg

Shotgun%20Speedloader2.jpg

Jim, can you come down to Norfolk for the next Tactial shotgun match? I think it is the 22nd of this month. Hopefully TEAM SAIGA will be there in force.

Unfortunately that's the same weekend that I'm taking the Suarez Fighting Rifle Course in Culpeper. :(

Jim

Not very unusual to see shared equipment between friends or family. Seems like a good excuse to own another shotgun. Might consider a 20ga Saiga for variety?

Most matches will have a variety of firearm useage. single firearm, any 2 of the 3 or all three. To transition, sometimes slings are used and can help, but often firearms are staged/decked (recon format is an obvious exception). i.e. your rifle starts on a table at A, your pistol is holstered and your shotgun is at low ready.

Hope to run into you soon!

Not very unusual to see shared equipment between friends or family. Seems like a good excuse to own another shotgun. Might consider a 20ga Saiga for variety?

Man...you guys are really going to get me into trouble!!

Okay -- what is everyone running for optics...on both their rifle and their S12? I have an EOTech 512 that I bought for my AR-15. I have one low-rise scope mount for a Saiga -- so I can put it on either my 7.62x39 or my S12. With the low-rise mount, the option of using the iron sights goes away. Since the S12 puts me into the Open category, I'm guessing it would be advantageous to use some kind of optic.

So....what's the popular choice with TEAM SAIGA??

Jim

Howdy guys,

I know this ain't usually my corner of the board (matter of fact i'm pretty sure its my first time here) but I showed a Texas Star how its done with a Saiga :)

Figured yall would be proud

http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb36/ro...a09sep07060.flv

and a .50 bmg :devil:

http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb36/ro...a09sep07072.flv

yes i know it takes me a long time to shoot but it was a pretty hard angle...not that it mattered as long as I hit backstop I was happy...cuz that's a Barrett.... :smoke:

Howdy guys,

I know this ain't usually my corner of the board (matter of fact i'm pretty sure its my first time here) but I showed a Texas Star how its done with a Saiga :)

Figured yall would be proud

http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb36/ro...a09sep07060.flv

and a .50 bmg :devil:

http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb36/ro...a09sep07072.flv

yes i know it takes me a long time to shoot but it was a pretty hard angle...not that it mattered as long as I hit backstop I was happy...cuz that's a Barrett.... :smoke:

Scoutjoe,

Not bad! Texas stars can be a lesson in frustration as it's a difficult object to attack, even with a shotgun. And just having the bragging rights to say "Yeah, I shot a Barrett .50 just the other day..." is pretty cool.

Man...you guys are really going to get me into trouble!!

Okay -- what is everyone running for optics...on both their rifle and their S12? I have an EOTech 512 that I bought for my AR-15. I have one low-rise scope mount for a Saiga -- so I can put it on either my 7.62x39 or my S12. With the low-rise mount, the option of using the iron sights goes away. Since the S12 puts me into the Open category, I'm guessing it would be advantageous to use some kind of optic.

So....what's the popular choice with TEAM SAIGA??

Jim

Jim the eotech is wonderfull, but you need a magnifier if you are going to shoot in comp.! Sometimes you have to shoot at 300 yards...........and I do not know you but,...............my eyes love a little bit of help from a magnifier 3/4x eotech.

regards

G.