Scoutjoe,

Not bad! Texas stars can be a lesson in frustration as it's a difficult object to attack, even with a shotgun. And just having the bragging rights to say "Yeah, I shot a Barrett .50 just the other day..." is pretty cool.

Hey thanks, it was my first time running a Texas star so I was happy. I came in around 7 seconds, one of the guys did it in 4 :eek:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jim the eotech is wonderfull, but you need a magnifier if you are going to shoot in comp.! Sometimes you have to shoot at 300 yards...........and I do not know you but,...............my eyes love a little bit of help from a magnifier 3/4x eotech.

regards

G.

Well, I don't think having a magnifier will help -- I ain't gonna hit nuthin' at 300 yds except the berm! :D

For the S12, how many mags do you recommend? I have 3 AGP's plus the factory 5-rd. (I'm thinking that could come in handy on stages where you have to switch out shot for slugs). Is 3 enough or should I get another? (I know that TEAM SAIGA shares, but I'm a mag freak -- I have at least 7 for every pistol I own and 12+ for each of my rifles!)

Jim

scoutjoe, well done. We had a TS cleaned with a pistol (15 yards no less) in 4.29 ... smoking and can certainly be done faster (this was competition so you don't want to run full bore).

NJ, Here are my suggestions on optics. A lot of folks run a variable optic that goes from very low to high. 1-3, 1.1-4, 1.5-5, 1-4, etc. I've got a Simmons prodiamond 1.5-5x that I used to use that I paid $100 for (but I don't know if they make them anymore) ... best low end scope for action shooting imo. Look around, you might find one somewhere. I'd be happy to bring mine to a local match if you'd like to check it out. Benny Hill used one up until a year or so back (not the comedian!). Currently I use a Meostar (glass is VERY good) and am testing another one I found on AR15.com.

One very good reason to get an optic is even seeing the target. I've seen targets in the wrong light, or unpainted to blend in, or hide behind dust, etc that you could easily hit with irons or a non magnified dot if you could see the target ...

So, the first place I'd put optics would be my rifle and it would include magnification.

A Kobra on your shotgun would keep your commy bloc looking authentic. I'd ignore any of the cheap dots, they won't take the abuse (unless it's ok to spend $40-$100 on a temporary sight .. ). I've used one, especially if there are long distance slug shots. But I feel faster using irons. I think one reason is the cheek weld. The side rails set the optic up a bit high for my taste ... so be aware and think about a cheek pad (I'm looking at Tromix's stock now ...)

But honestly, I wouldn't wait on any of this. Shoot what you got, then you'll know a lot more about what will work for you.

eta ... ooooh forgot the mags question. Why do you need fewer mags for your shotgun than your rifle or pistol. If anything, you need more! seriously, 35 rounds will get most stages done. But there are certainly stages that will require more rounds, especially if you miss (we all do). Plus a back up mag or 2 or 3 on your person should you drop one, or in your bag if one of your mags goes south...

Edited by kmoore
eta ... ooooh forgot the mags question. Why do you need fewer mags for your shotgun than your rifle or pistol. If anything, you need more! seriously, 35 rounds will get most stages done. But there are certainly stages that will require more rounds, especially if you miss (we all do). Plus a back up mag or 2 or 3 on your person should you drop one, or in your bag if one of your mags goes south...

Thanks for the info - especially on the optics. I'll have to mull that one over.

As far as mags...my pistol mags don't cost $50-$60 a piece!! :) That said, I went ahead and ordered another one last night from the eStore, along with the elevated S12 sight. I'll give it a try and see how it works out for iron sight work.

Jim

Edited by Navy87Guy

srry bout that, that likely seemed more rude than intended ... I swear I had a smilie in there to originally (I've added one now).

I know what you mean about cost. But by the time you get all your gear together, it'll just be one of the many things that hammers your credit card :o

Competition shooting thought.

Come on out and shoot! Get used to the machanics of the match and make sure to help reset stages, ask questions and have fun.

There is no need to be fully equipped as an Open shooter just to get started! If you really want to get serious then go for it, I shoot as a recreational activity especially after a hard week of being the base environmental police. It's nice to spread a little lead. Keeps me in balance.

I wrote an e-mail to Jim Scouton on ShootingUSA expressing my opinion to him stating that when he shows all the top of the line weaponry used in top level three gunning he scears many begining shooters away. I suggested that they do a show focused on local level 3 gun shooting and affordable weapons and accessories. He said good Idea and gave several reasons for doing things the way the do them I can't remember exactly what he but I think it boils down to moving the sponsors products.

I agree with Kenneth about optics as far as red dots go, I have no problem with the ComBolck Optics, infact my Russian red dot has served me well on my AR, Saigax39 and 12, CX4, and my Bullseye pistol. The may not be as good as top of the line western versions but they are way better than cheap ChiCom optics and at a third the price of western devices. The trade is a little quality and compactness for two thirds the cost savings to me that is a deal.

Edited by topmaul
srry bout that, that likely seemed more rude than intended ... I swear I had a smilie in there to originally (I've added one now).

No worries -- I didn't take it the wrong way! I'll start with 4 AGP's and the factory 5-rd for now and work my way up from there!

I'll definitely do some research (and shopping!) on the optics. I'm all about quality and value, regardless of the origin!

Thanks, guys!

Jim

Navy87guy,

I noticed you want to shoot more. My Brother is also a member of the NCRR and when I can I fly the 800 miles one way just to go to their club shoots at Blackwater. One is coming up in October. Not sure I can go, but that shoot is worth it and they often have a shotgun side match.

The chance to shoot indoors day and night with a handgun is also priceless and the club is full of great people. Good group for you to hook up with.

Next year I may build up a Saiga 12. Using an 870, I can keep up with and often beat semi's. Might as well smoke them with a Saiga 12. :haha:

As for Jim Scouten above. When a $300 shotgun starts beating $1000 shotugns, peope will be pissed.

Edited by Zoub
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you want to research optics forAR platforms go to the Enos forums. I use a Meopta on my JP rifle and it is fantastic mounted on a LaRue mount. The sight picture is not cluttered and the dot is the same size at 4 power on a target as it is at 1x. Which BTW it is TRUE 1 power scope. A Aimpoint ML on my SBR for short matches is like so cool its like ice. Having said that you can shoot 3 gun all day long with iron sights if you want and have young eyes.

I used my Saiga conversion today in a club match and once again the timer goes off and it all goes to hell. The gun was flawless, thanks to the un-named artist who did mine. I did OK but need to practice mag changes more.

Man I really like Jim Beam Black,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, nitey nite.

• 2 weeks later...

www.ncrr.net last tactical shotgun match of the year, Norfolk VA. If you want to come out and shoot it would be great to see a huge TEAM SAIGA turnout, the format will be a bit different this year, we are going to have 85 to 100 rounds in one stage, I will bring all my 10, 8, and abunch of 5s so there will be plenty of Saiga mags there for any shooter who does not have enough, your welcome to borrow some from me just make sure I get them back.

NEXT Saturday the 3rd of November, bring your lawn chair and join the fun.

http://www.ncrr.net/calendar/html/nc11032007.htm

directions and other information is on the website. Range restrictions require 7 1/2 or smaller shot for the match.

As far as I can tell no but I will let you know for sure. There is a conceled carry class going on at the same time at the indoor range so I would doubt it.

Edited by topmaul