confused on buffers

I had looked through the threads and come to the understanding that buffers really do not reduce perceived recoil and that although they do reduce the banging of the carrier to the receiver it is not really anything of concern or will hurt the gun.

Buffers are a good way to protect your gun, I have one in my 1911 and it prevents the metal-on-metal slap. The problem with them from what I gather is that they can alter the "speed" of the weapon cycle. I was going to put one in my HK91 but some HK shooters told me that it can speed up the action to the point where it can fail to cycle properly. I believe I've read somewhere on this forum of saigas having a similar issue. But as long as it cycles correctly I'm sure it will improve the life of the gun.

I had one and removed it a year ago. Guns been a LOT more reliable since then, and I never noticed any recoil change (I don't seem to notice small changes in anything).

I'd put one back in if I was constantly into the heavy stuff, but that's not my game ...

I make my own out of soft 1/4 rubber sheet, and I think it does reduce recoil which you can really feel with heaver rounds. The commercial ones are way harder and offer much less recoil reduction. Think of it as a rubber bolt buggie bumper.

I bought a couple as a way to protect my shotgun...

Is'nt that a contradiction by itself? Like getting a protective sleeve on your hammer or something.

Part of the reason to have a S-12 is that it can withstand almost any abuse and still not let you down. "It works under any condition in all climates".

I have tried buffers and noticed that on some ammo/gas combinations it prevents proper cycling. Probably because the length of the stroke is reduced.

I never cared to find out as I figured reliability is higher on my list of priorities than wear and comfort.

+1 on the green blackjack buffers!

i put em in all my saigas. dont feel any reduced recoil, and after a few thousand shells, the thing is completely beat to hell and needs to be replaced...telling me that the beating the buffer is taking is less of a beating my gun is taking

i have never had any feeding issues while using a buffer

I bought a couple as a way to protect my shotgun...

Is'nt that a contradiction by itself? Like getting a protective sleeve on your hammer or something.

Part of the reason to have a S-12 is that it can withstand almost any abuse and still not let you down. "It works under any condition in all climates".

I have tried buffers and noticed that on some ammo/gas combinations it prevents proper cycling. Probably because the length of the stroke is reduced.

I never cared to find out as I figured reliability is higher on my list of priorities than wear and comfort.

If the Russians had a lifetime money-back (US-dollars, thank you) guarantee that the Saiga-12 was 100% indestructable, I'd agree with you. Unfortunately the last time I checked, all guns wear out. Since I don't have many cycling problems period, buffer or no buffer, it stays in my S-12. If you don't like buffers, simply don't use one.

KW

All machines wear out. The Saiga/AK design has a bolt that hits pretty hard. I think that a buffer is a great idea for this gun, specially the 12 gauge shotgun and .308.

I love to pick up those pieces if neoprene that they make keychains fobs out of. The make great buffers. I would save my money for something that I could not easily make.

B)-->

QUOTE(G O B @ May 24 2007, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I use green in the wife's S.410, and black in the S-12 and S-.308.

I used to swear by them. After each 500-600 rounds, i'd replace the green ones, as they were nearly cut into peices. I did notice a small reduction in felt recoil also.

But, since removing them I think I have less feeding issues in general. Haven't put one in since. It's a catch 22 if you shoot a lot. If you had no difference at all in reliability, I don't know why you wouldn't use one after looking at the energy they save on that bolt flying back into rear trunion area.

I have a converted (pistol grip) Saiga 12 109 with out a factory bolt hold open device. I purchased a Buffer Technologies recoil buffer and had problems. A standard 5 rd mag was fine but a 10 rd mag had problems. The first three or four rounds would not feed, probably because it was cycling too fast for the mag spring to push all those rounds up. After I hand cycled the first 3 or 4 rounds, everything was fine. I would try a Blackjack buffer (they are thinner) but it is a duty weapon and reliability is a must.

Gee wiz. I always feel a bit left out in these saiga problem threads. Both of my Saigas suck up the shells and spit them out like a $5 hooker on navy payday. No matter what ammo, mags or buffers I use she is reliable. That ugly black stick of steel is a beautiful mechanical wonder! :up:

So xsr-so2, if you dont mind me asking, what kind of duty do you pull with your S-12? My Ivan is just a buddy i hang around with, but a working mans Saiga is another matter altogether. Can you post a pic of it? :D Bob Ash posted a pic of a Tromix micro the other day bound for security work. It was so small and oh so sweeeeeet!

Gee wiz. I always feel a bit left out in these saiga problem threads. Both of my Saigas suck up the shells and spit them out like a $5 hooker on navy payday. No matter what ammo, mags or buffers I use she is reliable. That ugly black stick of steel is a beautiful mechanical wonder! :up:

So xsr-so2, if you dont mind me asking, what kind of duty do you pull with your S-12? My Ivan is just a buddy i hang around with, but a working mans Saiga is another matter altogether. Can you post a pic of it? :D Bob Ash posted a pic of a Tromix micro the other day bound for security work. It was so small and oh so sweeeeeet!

I work for a medium size Police Department in the Southeast and my Saiga 12 is carried along with my 16" Bushmaster V match with a Trijicon Reflex. My department is very concerned about posting photos on the internet and personal web sites, so please understand I can't post a photo. All the posts on this Forum are very educational and/or entertaining and I have used this information to make what I feel, is a good choice in a duty weapon. I have tried 37's, Hi Standard 10A, 870's and 11-87's but I've never been totally satsfied. The Saiga 12 I own has never jammed on any round I've fired. The only malfunctions I've had, was after I installed the buffer and only the first 3 or 4 in a 10 round magazine. Again, sorry about the photos and thanks to every contribution on this Forum, particularily Cobra. We all need to stick together on our gun rights and right to carry concealled laws, there will be challinging times ahead.