I recently had some trigger work done to my Saiga .223 along with adding a Mojo rear peep sight and KNS front sight. The trigger is much much improved over what came stock, along with the sights.

So I took the rifle out to zero the sights and shoot it. Sighting-in was no problem and shooting was generally fun. The range I used on has a 100 yards as it's longest range so I spent my time there. On several occasions I had bull's eyes but I also had a wide dispersion of shots such that it would appear as a pattern rather than a group. Though I tried to let say 2 or 3 minutes pass between firings, the barrel did indeed get hot. (no rapid firing) It appears that what I have read is correct, that the rifle does get inaccurate as the barrel gets hot. (I am a fairly decent shot over a 100 yards with my peep sight-equipped 50 year old Mossberg .22) Either the barrel being hot to the touch even with a 3 minute gap between shots or my shooting is at fault.

I did compare the targets with a recent shooting of my .22 at the same location and clearly the .22 results were better. But here is one odd point, my last two rounds I just popped off, maybe 30 seconds between shots. Where did they land? Bull's eyes about 1.5" apart.

Any ideas or comments on the above from you more experienced shooters. Barrel heating my 'pattern' or is it just my lack of skills?

• 2 months later...