which shotgun?

Which would you rather have and why:

Remington 870 Super Magnum - 20" barrel, 8 rnd tube, pachmayr vindicator pistol grip and forend.

Saiga 12 - 19" barrel, could be stock or have had the AK conversion done to it, 10 rnd mag, folding stock.

I'm asking because I have the 870, but the saiga 12 has been looking more attractive every day. I don't have the money for one, and don't see the point in having 2 home defence shotguns. I love the AK action, but the 870 is reliable as well. I love the fact that the saiga is semi-auto, but the pump action is also favorable. I just don't know :killer:

Comrade,

This is the Saiga forum, hands down if I have to defend my family my weapon of choice is a Saiga 7.62x39 with hollow points!

In a contest between the 870 and the Saiga 12 the Saiga will eat the 870 for lunch. As far as reliability is concerned in competition I see more 870's go down due to quality problems, opperator error, or because the owner monkyed around with the gun for what ever reason they are not as reliable as the Remington fans would have you believe.

If you go to Shotgunworld.com and scroll down to tactical shotguns and ask the same thing there you'll be able to start a lively debate.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=108820 SEE WHAT I MEAN!

Edited by topmaul

The easy answer is: Both!

I own an 870 marine magnum and a custom S-12 and I can say that there are scenarios I would choose the 870 over the 12 and vice versa. If hard pressed to choose one though, I would have to say I like my s-12 better.

As to an 870's reliability, I used to own an 870 express that I didn't care for, but my marine works flawlessly, so yeah.

I don't think it would be wise to delay on a purchase of an s-12 if you want one. 870's will be around for a long time.

Which would you rather have and why:

Remington 870 Super Magnum - 20" barrel, 8 rnd tube, pachmayr vindicator pistol grip and forend.

Saiga 12 - 19" barrel, could be stock or have had the AK conversion done to it, 10 rnd mag, folding stock.

I'm asking because I have the 870, but the saiga 12 has been looking more attractive every day. I don't have the money for one, and don't see the point in having 2 home defence shotguns. I love the AK action, but the 870 is reliable as well. I love the fact that the saiga is semi-auto, but the pump action is also favorable. I just don't know :killer:

As I stated in an earlier post, my department issues the 870. I is a good reliable shotgun and I have nothing bad to say about it. I recently took my S-12 to the bi-yearly qualification and out scored everyone else with it. You are scored on accuracy and time on a course that requires the shooter tom move cover to cover and engage eight seperate targets. When I had qualified I handed the shotgun to two of the smaller female Officers that do not carry shotguns because of the recoil. They had better times than most of the male officers. The S12 is now approved for carry and carry I do.

The S12 is now approved for carry and carry I do.

That is really cool of your department. Johnny Law here is really regulated on what can be carried and what cannot.

KW

I think they should have them. With the conversion and shortened barrel they are a force to be rekonned with